Goodbye MDR Food...A Mini Tribute To The Old Menus

thecruiserofships

Does anyone know if there are still sugar free deserts. We will be on the Liberty in a couple of weeks. My husband is diabetic and always looks forward to the deserts more than the main course.

I am not completely sure about the answer to this question, but I am sure they will probably have sugar free desserts still offered.

On the first day of your cruise you could go see someone in the dining room and find out about this or maybe request a sugar free dessert!

Do you know if it is true that the buffet has a few of the same items as the mdr?

It's similar but not exact. On a recent cruise the MDR served the lamb and it was the worst cut ever. The buffet had a man carving a beautiful leg of lamb that was spectacular! The presentation is a bit off putting to me, seeing those tubs filled with pieces of fish or vegetables but what you get in the MDR is the same.

I've never seen lobster on the buffet.

It's similar but not exact. On a recent cruise the MDR served the lamb and it was the worst cut ever. The buffet had a man carving a beautiful leg of lamb that was spectacular! The presentation is a bit off putting to me, seeing those tubs filled with pieces of fish or vegetables but what you get in the MDR is the same.

I've never seen lobster on the buffet.

Thanks for the response!

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, the drink stations and the choice of soft-serve ice cream AND frozen yogurt on the Elation Lido Buffet was miles ahead of anything on RCI and Princess.

Buffet a great place to escape stifling formal nights and those silly waiter parades in MDR and the singing of O Solo Mio with guests waiving their napkins....;-)

Nice to hear!

Will be on the Dream in a month so I will get to try all my faves 1 last time :p Then whenever our next Carnival cruise is, I look forward to trying the new menus!

I will miss:

strawberry bisque, stuffed mushrooms (though it appears that the new menus have something comparable)

Lasagna bolognese

Bitter and blanc, raspberry-chocolate cake, creme brulee

Everything you said!

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1391905800,-8,ca_carnival,our%20Miracle%20cruise

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1396139400,-8,ca_celebrity,cruising%20the%20Celebrity%20Century

I don't see a a regular garden salad on the menu. I've asked john heald but haven't heard back yet. I need just a plain salad for my meal. I've even told my hubby that if I have to I will order from room service and take it with me to dinner, LOL.

http://zydecocruiser.net/menus/aNew/index.htm

link to Western and Eastern cruise on the Glory. I suspect most menus will be the same as the new menus are rolled out. The only difference might be the Port of Call section.

I understand there is a water carafe left on the table as well as a basket of bread. Hoping I can still order the cheese plate. Sailing on the Liberty in a couple of weeks and will find out then.

link to Western and Eastern cruise on the Glory. I suspect most menus will be the same as the new menus are rolled out. The only difference might be the Port of Call section.

I understand there is a water carafe left on the table as well as a basket of bread. Hoping I can still order the cheese plate. Sailing on the Liberty in a couple of weeks and will find out then.

Thank you for sharing! This was helpful and informational!

I don't see a a regular garden salad on the menu. I've asked john heald but haven't heard back yet. I need just a plain salad for my meal. I've even told my hubby that if I have to I will order from room service and take it with me to dinner, LOL.

Was on Liberty Jan. 18-25. There are no plain salads. Caesar salad is on it, but no regular salad. Sorry.

Was on the Liberty Jan. 18-25. NO carafes on the table, but the waiters are god about refilling the glasses.

I LOVED the cheese plate, it's gone, and not offered on any night. There is a basket of bread on the table.

I'm hoping that the food quality is the same, and that they're are just switching up the menu?

I actually thought the food was the best we've had on any cruise so far. However, there are fewer options, especially with the appetizers and desserts. Most nights I did not find a dessert to order as they only give you 2-3 options.

Does anyone know if there are still sugar free deserts. We will be on the Liberty in a couple of weeks. My husband is diabetic and always looks forward to the deserts more than the main course.

I did not see anything on the menu that indicated it was a sugar free dessert. Since there are only 2-3 options per night, I would have noticed if there were. Sorry.

We sailed on the Glory in December for the first week of the new menus. My mother-in-law is diabetic. The sugar free choices are not listed on the menu but she asked and they brought her out something every night that was sugar free. just ask your server.

I looked at the new menus and if they switch before November on Splendor, I'm in big trouble. So many options are fish (allergic) or have a tomato/tomato paste/sauce base in it (allergic). I don't eat beef either. So I'll be stuck with their awful grilled chicken. And sadly, will make me look at other cruiselines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app