Most romantic: Chops or giovanni's

gskline

I vote for Chops. Didn't enjoy Giovanni's on Allure in Central Park, service was mediocre whereas in Chops excellent.

Interestingly we had the exact opposite on Oasis! I liked the food at both but the service we received at Chops was appalling which lead to us speaking with the Maitre D. Giovanni's service was great.

I am undeterred though, hoping it was a once off and we will try it again.

Interestingly we had the exact opposite on Oasis! I liked the food at both but the service we received at Chops was appalling which lead to us speaking with the Maitre D. Giovanni's service was great.

I am undeterred though, hoping it was a once off and we will try it again.

Sorry to hear about your bad service. Glad to hear the food was good though.

Chops but be aware that some of the tables for 2 are very close together. I would make the reservation in person and note your want for a table off to the side

Thank you for the advice. If I make the reservation on-line, to make sure we get in on our Anniversary, is there a way to email or actually talk to someone to let them know it's a very special night;)??

Greg

Thank you for the advice. If I make the reservation on-line, to make sure we get in on our Anniversary, is there a way to email or actually talk to someone to let them know it's a very special night;)??

Greg

Even if you talk with someone via email or phone, I'd still visit the restaurant when you get on board and tel them of your special day. Sometimes the communication from Miami to the ship doesn't make it.

Even if you talk with someone via email or phone, I'd still visit the restaurant when you get on board and tel them of your special day. Sometimes the communication from Miami to the ship doesn't make it.

I'd do this too. Get your better half settled in on embarkation day and make your way to Chops. The head waiter will be out, and it's your best opportunity to put a plug in for the night. I find the staff at the specialty restaurants to be very accommodating in person.

My wife and I will be on the Oasis in March to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. The menu at 150 Central Park Restaurant doesn't appeal to either one of us. With that choice out, which would you choose for us to have our 25th Anniversary dinner at?? Chops Grille or Giovanni's. We both like steaks and Italian, so not sure which restaurant would be a better choice. Which would be more romantic???

Why not do both, theyre both great.

I'd do this too. Get your better half settled in on embarkation day and make your way to Chops. The head waiter will be out, and it's your best opportunity to put a plug in for the night. I find the staff at the specialty restaurants to be very accommodating in person.

Thanks that's a great idea!!!

Greg

I would stop there the first day. Look at the layout inside and out and then ask based on your thoughts

I think the patio areas of both are romantic after dark. Our Giovanni's experience was a lot nicer though because we sat at an outdoor table right next to where a solo guitarist was playing. On other nights, it's was a violin/guitar duo. If you can time your booking to when there is live entertainment in Central Park, it'll make a world of difference.

Completely agree!! My DH and I had a very romantic dinner at Giovanni's on the allure on our honeymoon. Perfect patio table directly in front of the live musicians. Do book a reservation later in the evening once it's darker outside everything is so pretty in Central Park at night!

I prefer Chops. My wife likes Italian so we ate at Portifino on the Adventure. I think Portifino may be similar to Giovanni.

Either way I'm sure you will have a great cruise. Happy anniversary!

Thank you for the Anniversary wish! My wife and I like Italian AND Steaks. So that is why this is such a tough decision. On our previous cruises we have really enjoyed the food and service in the MDR. That's why I was trying to pick just one specialty restaurant.

Thank you for the Anniversary wish! My wife and I like Italian AND Steaks. So that is why this is such a tough decision. On our previous cruises we have really enjoyed the food and service in the MDR. That's why I was trying to pick just one specialty restaurant.

On the ships which we have sailed, a menu was posted outside each restaurant. It's possible that the ship you will be on will do the same. The Portofino specialty restaurant where we ate on the Adventure, offered steaks as well as Italian fare. The best of both worlds! :D

My wife had her mind made up to have something Italian that night, but we both ended up having the T bone steak. It was delicious and very tender.

Maybe Giovanni's will have steaks available.

Edited by JimAOk1945

After giving this post more thought, I do recall our experience on the Oasis. We did dinner one night at Giovanni's and it was rather noisy. We were a table of 6 adults for the record. If I had to pick, I would definitely choose Chops. We did not visit Giovanni's on our Allure trip as it did not leave a lasting impression with us from the Oasis. Just my 2 cents...

For those who ate at Chops, what did you have and would you recommend it:rolleyes:?

Are you a steak eater?

The filet is amazing, IMHO. There are other steaks that would be equally great (ribeye, and as I recall, T-bone) that are huge and contain a lot more fat that while I love, didn't want to do!

But, the petite and regular filet are both wonderful! My wife has had the halibut, and loved it as well.

Chops is a steakhouse. Plan accordingly!

Tried both on Allure. We found the food and service to be better in Giovanni's so we went twice. I'm not sure why they call it "family style dining", as it is nicer than many fine dining establishments.

Family style dining indicates you can have the appetizer and entree plates such as pasta served 'family style' in the middle of the table, to share.

For those who ate at Chops, what did you have and would you recommend it:rolleyes:?

I'd also go with the filet. Tried the Porterhouse a couple of times, once very good and once not so much.

Are you a steak eater?

The filet is amazing, IMHO. There are other steaks that would be equally great (ribeye, and as I recall, T-bone) that are huge and contain a lot more fat that while I love, didn't want to do!

But, the petite and regular filet are both wonderful! My wife has had the halibut, and loved it as well.

Chops is a steakhouse. Plan accordingly!

I love a good Filet Mignon. Any suggestions on the appetizers?

I love a good Filet Mignon. Any suggestions on the appetizers?

Crab cakes, as clarea said (I think they're crab and shrimp, actually...)

Caesar salad is excellent.

Save for desert, or have them box it up with a fork for later. The deserts are HUGE and delicious!

Oh, and if it's only two of you, no more than 3 sides, and only two if you get baked potatoes...