Trunk Bay, St John

ne1travel

We will be arriving in St Thomas and would like to do Trunk Bay in St John on our own. I am trying to find out exactly where the cruise ship docks and the best way to get to St John. I assume we arrive in Charlotte Amalie & then would have to ferry over to Red Hook, then Red Hook to Cruise Bay, then taxi to Trunk Bay. There is an excursion we could do, but just kicking around the idea of doing our own thing. Anyone do this on there own? Also, ferry & taxi cost? Thanks...

We will be arriving in St Thomas and would like to do Trunk Bay in St John on our own. I am trying to find out exactly where the cruise ship docks and the best way to get to St John. I assume we arrive in Charlotte Amalie & then would have to ferry over to Red Hook, then Red Hook to Cruise Bay, then taxi to Trunk Bay. There is an excursion we could do, but just kicking around the idea of doing our own thing. Anyone do this on there own? Also, ferry & taxi cost? Thanks...

Last week Royal docked at Crown Bay and not Havensight.

We did the Red Hook ferry to St. John a few years ago. We took a taxi to Red Hook...then the ferry over to St. John. Lots of taxis available where you enter St. John. Beautiful scenic ride to Trunk Bay. They have a little lunch place at the beach, picnic tables...absolutely breathtaking beach. I don't remember the cost but it is much less expensive than any excursion.

I am on the same cruise and this is what we are going to be doing. We are scheduled to arrive at Havensight. (hope we do since it will be closer to where we want to go!) So you take a taxi to Red Hook, then you get on the ferry and it takes you to St. John. You then get on a taxi that takes you to Trunk Bay. This is what we did in November when we were on the same cruise!

I am not sure of exact costs, but we really like to do things on our own time and don't like doing ship excursions. This was really simple and alot of people do it. We got off the ship as soon as we could and we took the 3PM ferry back. We had a great day and we are hoping for another one on this cruise!

Don't be afraid to do it on your own. We did it the very first time we cruised to st. Thomas and it is a no brainer. Very easy access to taxis at port, red hook and st john.

The trip on the ferry from st thomas to st john was actually one of my all time carribean highlights. Very scenic with many small island outcroppings along the way.