Elegant-Night Gown; Foolish?

Lerin

Last fall we were on the Liberty for 7 days and didn't see that many formally dressed. I never saw anyone in jeans or shorts in the dining room. The next week we spent 5 days on the Victory. It seemed like half the ladies had on formal gowns and the guys were decked out to match. We saw one young man show up in the dining room with shorts on. Everyone stared at him. We didn't see him in the dining room again. I dress every night for dinner. On formal nights, I usually wear a cocktail dress, but felt a little under dressed on the victory. In March I'll take a long formal with me for pictures.

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/9/14

Carnival Sensation 3/14/14

By all means' date=' wear your beautiful gowns...no reason why you should not wear them. The important thing is that you like them and they make you feel elegant and special for the evening. There will be people that will be in shorts and jeans every night, don't let that deter you from wearing your evening wear.

My husband and I dress for dinner every night. It's just part of cruising for us. We probably looked out of place most nights, but it didn't bother us. We dress to please each other. I can honestly say that we never heard any degradiing remarks....the only thing we received each evening were compliments from total strangers. Gor for it...have fun and enjoy dressing to the nines!

Here is a sample of the outfits that we wore on our last cruise in October on The Legend.[/quote']

You guys look fantastic!

My opinion...FWIW

If you wear a stylish dress with the correct accessories (make sure the shoe style is correct for the dress) you'll look nice.

No matter what you wear....if it's too small, too short, just doesn't fit right, wear the wrong shoes, wear unflattering jewelry....you'll look, as you said, "foolish".

(I emphasize "the shoes"...because there's nothing more foolish looking than a nice gown with a pair of sporty sandals etc.)

It's not what you wear....but how you wear it.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people that wear $1.00 rubber flip flops with their beautiful dresses. I see it all the time when my daughters go to the prom. It ruins the whole look if you ask me.

I say wear the gowns! I love looking at all the dressed up people. :)

one of my favorite things about cruising is being able to dress to the 9s on formal nights.

I have several gowns that i wear only on cruises and my work christmas party.

However with carnival going more casual and having elegant nights i'm not too sure about what to wear? I keep reading posts about people showing up in black jeans, shorts, tank tops and polo shirts.

As much as i want to wear a gown, i'm starting to think i'm going to look rather foolish next to someone in black jeans and a polo.

Any thoughts? Does anyone here dress up anymore or have you seen people recently dressed up? The photos below from google are similar to mine to give you an idea of what i like to wear. Not the exact ones since i've had them for awhile. Am i going to look silly?

Thanks for any insight.

hi-this irene---your gowns look lovely--keep wearing them----i wear mine---there are some who also wear their formal gowns--don't worry-----if they make you feel good--wear them----as i do--and we have had 58 cruises on carnival and it is fun to dress---my hubby does too-----enjoy your cruise--you and i will look like queens------irene

wow these dresses are beautiful! I feel exactly the same way about you and love to dress up, but just lately I have taken to taking more "cocktail dresses" rather than my beautiful ball gowns. Last Christmas I was very upset to be openly sneered at by a fellow passenger telling me I was "very overdressed" as I had a full length sequinned gown on. Personally I prefer to be overdressed than underdressed and I think it is a great pity that the gala evenings seem to be disappearing. Maybe they should start advertising cruises for those "who do do cruises and want to dress up" That would be fun - I would love to wear some of my formal gowns somewhere again! Hope you have a great cruise whatever you choose to wear

One of my favorite things about cruising is being able to dress to the 9s on formal nights.

I have several gowns that I wear only on cruises and my work Christmas party.

However with Carnival going more casual and having elegant nights I'm not too sure about what to wear? I keep reading posts about people showing up in black jeans, shorts, tank tops and polo shirts.

As much as I want to wear a gown, I'm starting to think I'm going to look rather foolish next to someone in black jeans and a polo.

Any thoughts? Does anyone here dress up anymore or have you seen people recently dressed up? The photos below from Google are similar to mine to give you an idea of what I like to wear. Not the exact ones since I've had them for awhile. Am I going to look silly?

Thanks for any insight.

Have to admit I don't wear long true formal gowns like I use to ... but I still dress in something like black silk pants with a silk or lace top.

Wear your long gown if you wish. You certainly won't the only one doing so. :)

LuLu

~~~~

We used to dress to the nines on Carnival, but don't bother when they guy at the next table is in a tee shirt and jeans and I am told to be grateful he isn't wearing a wife beater! I just wear short cocktail dresses on Carnival and DH wears his blazer and a pair of dress slacks (with tie for elegant nights, without tie in the Steakouse).

If you want company being dressed up then switch to Princess or RCCL where the people still dress. I would guess on our Princess cruise Dec 14 that about 3/4 of the men wore tuxes and most of the rest were in dark business suits. We only saw a couple of people not dressed. They may have been fine eating up in the Lido, but stood out like sore thumbs at the Captain's Party in the Piazza. (Princess and RCCL also serve champagne at the Captain's party on the first formal night). Lots of the women were in long dresses and there were lots of sequins. It was such a different atmosphere than on Carnival on formal nights.

Edited by DebJ14

We used to dress to the nines on Carnival, but don't bother when they guy at the next table is in a tee shirt and jeans and I am told to be grateful he isn't wearing a wife beater! I just wear short cocktail dresses on Carnival and DH wears his blazer and a pair of dress slacks (with tie for elegant nights, without tie in the Steakouse).

If you want company being dressed up then switch to Princess or RCCL where the people still dress. I would guess on our Princess cruise Dec 14 that about 3/4 of the men wore tuxes and most of the rest were in dark business suits. We only saw a couple of people not dressed. They may have been fine eating up in the Lido, but stood out like sore thumbs at the Captain's Party in the Piazza. (Princess and RCCL also serve champagne at the Captain's party on the first formal night). Lots of the women were in long dresses and there were lots of sequins. It was such a different atmosphere than on Carnival on formal nights.

I dress for the person looking back at me in the mirror. No other person could understand wearing a gown and a cocktail dress each night. DH won't be happy, because he is forced to dress up more than needed each night. He already asked not to do the gowns on casual :mad: I would take good company over fine fabric, which is why I am married to a sweats and t-shirt guy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

wow these dresses are beautiful! I feel exactly the same way about you and love to dress up, but just lately I have taken to taking more "cocktail dresses" rather than my beautiful ball gowns. Last Christmas I was very upset to be openly sneered at by a fellow passenger telling me I was "very overdressed" as I had a full length sequinned gown on. Personally I prefer to be overdressed than underdressed and I think it is a great pity that the gala evenings seem to be disappearing. Maybe they should start advertising cruises for those "who do do cruises and want to dress up" That would be fun - I would love to wear some of my formal gowns somewhere again! Hope you have a great cruise whatever you choose to wear

:mad: Eek, that's my big fear.

But oh well, at least 1 formal gown will be coming! Now to convince DH to bring a tie :D

One of my favorite things about cruising is being able to dress to the 9s on formal nights.

I have several gowns that I wear only on cruises and my work Christmas party.

However with Carnival going more casual and having elegant nights I'm not too sure about what to wear? I keep reading posts about people showing up in black jeans, shorts, tank tops and polo shirts.

As much as I want to wear a gown, I'm starting to think I'm going to look rather foolish next to someone in black jeans and a polo.

Any thoughts? Does anyone here dress up anymore or have you seen people recently dressed up? The photos below from Google are similar to mine to give you an idea of what I like to wear. Not the exact ones since I've had them for awhile. Am I going to look silly?

Thanks for any insight.

You will see plenty of dress like these, and tuxes on men. You will also see plenty of people who barely make the dress code, and often people who do not. Wear what you want, and you will not be alone. I do think the full gowns would be hard to pack and get there in nice condition, but the one that is not as full certainly would be easier to pack.

It is no different than on land - you go into large places with dining and some people are dressed nice and elegant and others like slobs. It is no different on a ship...from A to Z you see it all.

The staff and officers will be in their formal wear and uniforms, you can follow their example - a rule of thumb is you should always dress better than the help - I think some people miss that point.

My favorite thing about cruising is dinner, especially formal night. My mom always made a big fuss when I was younger about all my dinner dresses when I cruised as a young child, and that habit has stuck with me even as an young adult. My family always likes to have at least one nice photo taken, and we usually use formal night to do so.

Wear your dress, take nice pictures, live in the moment and remain beautiful :)

Now...don't laugh at these pictures :)

Picture048.jpg

13 year old me on formal night.

1060570285_l.jpg

Formal night as a 15 year old.

IMG_0457_zps0b72b4f6.jpg

20 year old me on a Valentine's Day cruise during formal night.

IMG_3298_zps8f36b513.jpg

My most recent cruise on formal night as a 21 year old

My favorite thing about cruising is dinner, especially formal night. My mom always made a big fuss when I was younger about all my dinner dresses when I cruised as a young child, and that habit has stuck with me even as an young adult. My family always likes to have at least one nice photo taken, and we usually use formal night to do so.

Wear your dress, take nice pictures, live in the moment and remain beautiful :)

Now...don't laugh at these pictures :)

Picture048.jpg

13 year old me on formal night.

1060570285_l.jpg

Formal night as a 15 year old.

IMG_0457_zps0b72b4f6.jpg

IMG_3298_zps8f36b513.jpg

My most recent cruise on formal night as a 21 year old

Lovely pictures....!!! Wow I could never have filled out a dress at 15 years old! You look so pretty in all of them...oh to be 21 again! Thank you for sharing.

DH and I enjoy dressing up elegantly. Hubby is wearing a sporty tux on our upcoming Liberty cruise and an elegant floor length gown for me, accessorized to the 9's! We find it romantic to dress up and celebrate our anniversary... this year it's 22 years :)

I was on Carnival Liberty a few weeks ago, I definitely see quite number of ladies wearing gowns similar to your pictures. I dressed up for those nights too, even went to the salon for an updo. Go for it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using Tapatalk 2

Curious... how much did the salon charge for an updo???

IMG_0457_zps0b72b4f6.jpg

Thanks for sharing the photos, you look great in all of them. Lovely dresses.

I especially love the one above because you are looking amazing and you can see a woman on the left also dressed great. But behind you there is a frumpy looking group and a woman in jeans and flip flops. It makes you look even more awesome with the contrast of them as a backdrop.

:mad: Eek, that's my big fear.

But oh well, at least 1 formal gown will be coming! Now to convince DH to bring a tie :D

Well, first of all, why should you "fear" what anyone else thinks?

Dress the way you want. I don't think you could possible overdress on elegant night.

If someone wants to sneer, it's just to make their dressed-down (probably sloppy) self feel better. Ignore them!!!

And to you ladies you have the "I won't dress up" mates, all I can say is that one of the Joys of Being Single is I don't have to worry about trying to force some man to dress appropriately. ;)

But, FTR, I have had both men and women stop me and tell me how great I looked and what a beautiful dress I was wearing when I had on my lovely long dress. And it's not like I'm supermodel gorgeous. But the dress certainly does help make me feel like I am! :D

Edited by NCTribeFan

My husband and I love dressing up on cruises! I will be in a gown on both formal nights, with hubby in a tux. On the other nights, it's a cocktail dress for me and suit and tie for him. We always get complimented on how we look.

I never worry about what other people are wearing. Be yourself, have fun and get dressed up!

While it is true that fewer people dress truly formally on cruise elegant night, there are still a good number who do. If you have beautiful gowns and enjoy dressing up, I'd say wear them! I always admire when people get really dressed up for formal night.