Motion Sickness Question

reenieking

HI there!

I am getting ready for my second cruise, this one is to Alaska. On the last one which was southern Carribbean, i felt the movement a little and was hoping to be more prepared this time.

The wrist bands don't work for me, never have no matter how many times i've tried different brands.

On the cruise last time i noticed crew wearing small patches behind their ears.

They all said it worked perfectly for them.

None of them however knew the name of them or where to get them.

I was hoping they might be available somewhere either in Canada or the US.

they were quite small, round i think and they stuck behind the ears.

If anyone knows where i might find them, or knows the name of them so i can keep hunting without sounding crazy it would be a great help.

thanks!!

Reenieking

toronto Ont.

cruising alaska Sept 2005

Hi there,

I know exactly what you mean. I went on a cruise two years ago to the Caribbean and spent most of my time sick in my room. Needless to say I am much better prepared for my cruise next week.

Remedies available over the counter in Canada in most drug stores:

For short term 10 hrs or less gravol works great. There is also bonine.

For rougher environments (cruising) and prolonged exposure you can get the patch that goes behind your ear and lasts for approx. 3 days. I bought a product calledd "Transderm-V" which contains the medicinal ingredient "scopolamine" This I was able to purchase in two local drugstores in Alberta.

As far as the sea band goes from personal experience and what the Health Canada website indicates is that it has no proven effect (placebo maybe?)

as a last resort I have been told by other travellers to see the ship doc. for an injection if the other remedies don't work and the situation warrants it.

Hope this is helpful:)

Re: Motion sickness medication

The small patch behind the ear is good for three days. I must be prescibed by a physician. My experience and that of my group were the side effects.

A few of us had extremely dry mouths, sounded like a stroke victims. Others had sence some dizziness and eye sight problems which left a few days after when the patch was removed.

The Pacific Ocean can be difficult for people with seasickness problems. Some ships take an inside route beginning in Vancouver. That is better for people who have seasickness. I know the Sapphire Princess goes directly out to the ocean from Seattle, and resulted in my son's inlaws getting very seasick. Eventually the ship did go into the inside passage, but those other days directly on the Pacific Ocean were uncomfortable for alot of people. Check out the route before you book anything.

Yes my daughter has real problems with motion sickness, but we find that if she takes the Meclizine pills (the generic of Bonine) it works for her. The sea bands did nothing and the side effects of the patch (transaderm scop) were to severe for her.The dry mouth , but she also got really dry eyes and they turned real bloodshot and she couldn't ware her contact lenses, etc. And this didn't go away after she got home it lasted for weeks even months. But the Meclizine really works for her. Each person is different. We get it at the local pharmacy , we just have to ask for it, it is quite inexpensive compared to the other methods, I think we paid something like 8 dollars for 100 pills. The patch is prescription only and quite expensive, 10 or 12 dollars per patch is a good price then it goes up from there. I think I remember Bonine being 4 or 6 pills for 6 or 8 dollars. Good luck

Cori

I've used both Bonine and the scopolamine patch with good results and no side effects. Bonine is about 50 cents a tablet at our pharmacy; I've heard some of the discount chains sell it even cheaper in quantities of 100. The patch is at least $15 for a week's supply and requires a prescription.

Archived