Tendering Question

By the way, that situation I just described is the source of the term" leeway

Sorry that's incorrect.

Leeway is a sailing term that refers to the fact that a sailboat, when sailing close to the wind, will move sideways (leeward) in addition to forwards, such that course (track over ground) is not the same as heading (direction bow is pointing.)

It manifests itself when one is sailing to a mark such as a buoy, the bow is pointed at the mark, but after awhile you notice you are to leeward of it.

Hence the common use of the term "leeway" as in fudge factor. so when one is sailing to a mark one must aim upwind a bit to account for leeway.

In modern sailboats it's slight, like maybe 5 degrees, but in the old square riggers it was much more severe.

I think the term you were looking for is "lee shore" which is feared especially by sailors!

Short definition from dictionary.com:

The amount or angle of drift of a ship to leeward from its heading.

I know I'm pedantic, sorry.

We missed it on our transatlantic in November (Indy). The skies were clear, but the winds were strong and the waves high. There were rumours the night before that we wouldn't be able to tender, but even the morning of we were told by the concierge that we'd make it. And then we didn't. This is as close as we got:

Honestly, as sad as I was to miss out, I would not have been comfortable transferring to/from the tender, especially with my kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

It isn't as difficult as people thing to transfer to/from the tenders. But if it is very turbulent, then they can't easily get the tenders along side the ship, and the ride from the ship to the island would not be easy either.....which is why, if the seas are too turbulent, they don't stop there.

We were on MOS one time, and the ocean was fairly turbulent, and they had the tenders pull along side. We got on the tender, and to the island...but it was so windy on the island, we could not enjoy the beach and water anyway....so back onto the next tender -- back to the ship.

Labadee has a dock now, so they don't use tenders there anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I went back to back on the Enchantment Jan 3 and 6 so I had 2 chances to go to Coco Cay. The first Sat Jan 2 we had a lovely day, even though it was very breezy. The second chance Jan 7 Tuesday the ship anchored at CCay and the wind and waves were quite fierce. At 8:00 am sharp the captain came on the intercom to say we were not going ashore and neither was NCL on the next island. He said we would go toNassau early and he hoped to get a berth there at 4:00. So away we went and got to Nassau about 4. It was so windy they used a tug to move the ship into place. The Captain said it was the first time in years they had had to use the tug. So we had 2 evenings in Nassau and we went over to Atlantis after dinner. No worry about getting back that evening! Bad weather does not mean a bad cruise!