sydney hotels

csunshine860

I loved the week I spent at the Russell a number of years ago. Being just steps away from the ferry terminal was great and being able to walk around the waterfront every night with views of the bridge and Opera house every night was fantastic. You couldn't get a better location to see the sights of Sydney.

You should be just fine there, its a suite style boutique hotel at the top of York Street.

Could be a little noisy with morning peak hour traffic coming off the harbour bridge but the hotel is well situated being close to transport and easy walk to most venues. The intersection forms a 5-way giving good pedestrian access to The Rocks area, Darling Harbour and downtown Sydney.

Have a look at Google Maps and you can see that you could make up a nice walk by following Kent St to the north and detouring to the Sydney Observatory then onto the Harbour Bridge main deck. You could either continue your free walk across the bridge and return by train or take the stairs into the Rocks or the roadway from the observatory into Argyle Place etc. the hotel should be able to help out with maps

Hugh

Thank you so much for this wonderful information! We are really looking forward to our trip to OZ and NZ!

Thank you so much for this wonderful information! We are really looking forward to our trip to OZ and NZ!

There is an expansive underground pedestrian way with all sorts of shops and food courts (including a German bread shop) that leads from the Wynyard subway just next to your hotel and has several exits including George St. We walked it today and came out in Jamieson St then crossed the road and had a chocolate fix at Lindt Chocalets near the National Bank courtyard. Topped it off with a great lunchtime pizza and a wine at Giovannis Pizzas overlooking the same courtyard.

Then tonight we took in a movie at the Dendy on Circular Quay East followed by a late meal at the Opera Bar. All within easy walking and plenty of people about to make things safe and friendly.

Hugh

Hi Jim,

I have checked out so many nd think we will stay in The Rocks area. Trying to narrow it down to at least 3 and then decide. So far Holiday Inn Old Sydney is one, maybe we can help each other out lol. We will stay three nights. All flights booked and hotels in LB the QM and one near lax before our flight out on the 26h. Hoping to find hotel with free wifi and airport shuttle and quite close to public transportation to sites and free bus along George st.

Holiday inn Old Sydney is also on our short list. Also looking at The Menzies, The Russell, even Radisson. I think I have the area nailed down just have to pick a hotel. I think we are going to stay at the Maya in LB, flying in on the 28th. Flights are ALL booked!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Hi Jim,

I have checked out so many nd think we will stay in The Rocks area. Trying to narrow it down to at least 3 and then decide. So far Holiday Inn Old Sydney is one, maybe we can help each other out lol. We will stay three nights. All flights booked and hotels in LB the QM and one near lax before our flight out on the 26h. Hoping to find hotel with free wifi and airport shuttle and quite close to public transportation to sites and free bus along George st.

Although yours will be the low season, popular hotels book out fast in Sydney. For example the Old Holiday Inn is already fully booked in January 2015. Mind you the weekend I'm looking at is Australia Day weekend. Plus at $450 NZ per night it is defenitely out of my budget;)

You wil not find many hotels with airport shuttles.

Have at look at Booking.com (lots of reviews and will tell if has wifi etc.) and set your budget and look into the triangle from Circular Quay/Rocks, Darling Harbour & China Town. This area is all walkable and close to all the main sightsees, public transport, ferries and the HoHo bus.

We chose the York by Bell Hotel. This is very central, plus a very good price for a serviced apartment. So, besides having a spacious studio, we also have a bath (meaning the one you lie in) a kitchen, a laundry and a balcony. The complex also has an outdoor swimming pool, spa pool and gym. The Meridon apartments usually also come recommended, but were booked out already.

Happy searching...

Although yours will be the low season, popular hotels book out fast in Sydney. For example the Old Holiday Inn is already fully booked in January 2015. Mind you the weekend I'm looking at is Australia Day weekend. Plus at $450 NZ per night it is defenitely out of my budget;)

You wil not find many hotels with airport shuttles.

Have at look at Booking.com (lots of reviews and will tell if has wifi etc.) and set your budget and look into the triangle from Circular Quay/Rocks, Darling Harbour & China Town. This area is all walkable and close to all the main sightsees, public transport, ferries and the HoHo bus.

We chose the York by Bell Hotel. This is very central, plus a very good price for a serviced apartment. So, besides having a spacious studio, we also have a bath (meaning the one you lie in) a kitchen, a laundry and a balcony. The complex also has an outdoor swimming pool, spa pool and gym. The Meridon apartments usually also come recommended, but were booked out already.

Happy searching...

Thank you very much. I just booked the Radisson on Liverpool Street. Looks like it is not far from Darling Harbour and China town. Looks like plenty of places to eat and grab a drink close by. I stumbled on a great price, about half of what it would have been to stay with my tour group at the Four Points just a few blocks away. Thanks again for your information. I could see that things were filling up fast, so I feel better now it's booked.

Thank you very much. I just booked the Radisson on Liverpool Street. Looks like it is not far from Darling Harbour and China town. Looks like plenty of places to eat and grab a drink close by. I stumbled on a great price, about half of what it would have been to stay with my tour group at the Four Points just a few blocks away. Thanks again for your information. I could see that things were filling up fast, so I feel better now it's booked.[/quote

Great. Think I just might have to toss a coin. Lol care to share your site. Have a great weekend. Thanks

There is an expansive underground pedestrian way with all sorts of shops and food courts (including a German bread shop) that leads from the Wynyard subway just next to your hotel and has several exits including George St. We walked it today and came out in Jamieson St then crossed the road and had a chocolate fix at Lindt Chocalets near the National Bank courtyard. Topped it off with a great lunchtime pizza and a wine at Giovannis Pizzas overlooking the same courtyard.

Then tonight we took in a movie at the Dendy on Circular Quay East followed by a late meal at the Opera Bar. All within easy walking and plenty of people about to make things safe and friendly.

Hugh

Thank you again for more great information! Sounds like you had a wonderful day!

Thank you very much. I just booked the Radisson on Liverpool Street. Looks like it is not far from Darling Harbour and China town. Looks like plenty of places to eat and grab a drink close by. I stumbled on a great price, about half of what it would have been to stay with my tour group at the Four Points just a few blocks away. Thanks again for your information. I could see that things were filling up fast, so I feel better now it's booked.

Yes, this one was on my short list due to having a pool. Checked and currently it is about $100NZ cheaper per night then last time I look at it. So good score:)

How would it compare to the Park Royal Darling Harbour? We have enjoyed the Park Royal very much but thought we would like to be closer to the Circular Quay.

Edited by boards

How would it compare to the Park Royal Darling Harbour? We have enjoyed the Park Royal very much but thought we would like to be closer to the Circular Quay.

Four Seasons is a big step up from the Park Royal (prev Crown Plaza). Lots of visits by Ferrari owners etc and certainly very convenient to Circular Quay.

Hugh

We've stayed at both.....Four Seasons is really fantastic and as Hugh says really is a step up from the Park Royal (which is lovely too).

Four Seasons harbour rooms have the best view over Opera House and the Quay.

Four Seasons is a big step up from the Park Royal (prev Crown Plaza). Lots of visits by Ferrari owners etc and certainly very convenient to Circular Quay.

Hugh

the problem may be we are not in the class of Ferrari owners, maybe we should go back to the Park Royal. Little concerned we have overstepped ourselves. We are just looking to be in a nice hotel, not buy it.

the problem may be we are not in the class of Ferrari owners, maybe we should go back to the Park Royal. Little concerned we have overstepped ourselves. We are just looking to be in a nice hotel, not buy it.

This is SO much the way we feel! Thanks for expressing it so well :)!

Like I said we went with the Radisson on Liverpool Street. About half what the four points was and it is only three blocks up the street.

Like I said we went with the Radisson on Liverpool Street. About half what the four points was and it is only three blocks up the street.

Four seasons I meant

Thanks for the responses. We are booked at the Four Seasons, our TA thought we would enjoy this hotel. I am sure we will because it sounds very much like the Langham that we have stayed in Auckland. We even got upgraded to an executive suite for some reason and it was great. So we are very much looking forward to staying at the Four Season. I just hope they aren't disappointed in us.

I doubt that you will find the guests at the Four Seasons any different from the guests who stay at the Park Royal......we certainly didn't anyhow. Didn't see any Ferraris pulling in to the hotel either.....

Just enjoy - it truly is a lovely place to stay. We had room service one night we were there and it was not just a tray that was delivered to the room but a table with the food covered on a shelf underneath. The waiter set up the table with chairs, pulled the meals from under and put on top of the perfectly set table with tablecloth etc. Quite an event!!! And the food was delish!