What to do in Belize and Isla Roatan?

DispatchJess

Hey Everyone! I'm booked on a family cruise July 13th sailing to W. Caribbean on the Conquest. We're stopping in Belize for the day and I'm looking for ideas on what to do. I love the idea of going to see the Mayan Ruins on an excursion but the cost seems really high ($90 per adult (there's 2 adults, 2 seniors, and 2 kid going) and $85 per kid... ouch!). Is it worth it? Or should we go find a beach and relax and wander around the town and shop? Any ideas would be most helpful!

Also stopping in Isla Roatan if anyone has suggestions there too! :cool:

Thanks in advance!!

Yeah, that's kinda pricey if you're footing the bill for everyone to see the ruins. Don't know how old your kids are, but are they old enough to appreciate it?

Belize isn't known for it's beaches. To go to a beach, you'd have to take an excursion to one of it's islands. I'd do it through Carnival because they'll pick you up at the ship. Saves time if you don't have to tender.

The only place to really walk around is the port area, which really wouldn't keep you occupied for long. If you go outside the port area, it a working city...not touristy at all.

Here's something to do in Roatan: http://www.boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm

HTH

I personally wouldn't leave the secure port shopping area in Belize without going on an organized excursion a lot of people rave about the cave tuning. It's just my opinion but I just didn't feel safe there.

I can't help you with Roatan, because every time we are slated to go there, our itinerary gets changed. You might want to check out the ports of call boards to see what others are doing for excursions at these 2 stops.

We enjoyed cave tubing in Belize. It's about an hour drive inland, then a hike up through the caves, and then a float back down the river. I've also read awesome reviews about the ruins and river boat rides and that's probably what we'll look into if we ever end up back in Belize.

If you just want beach time, Roatan has a nice man-made beach for free right at the port. Both times we were in Roatan, we went ziplining and had a great time. One time at South Shore and the other at Pirates - both were good and have pros and cons. I believe both offer packages with beach time, or you could just go back to the beach at the port when you finish.

We were on the Conquest last Sept. and same itineray We loved it! We booked with Victor Bodden tours in Roatan...Fun n Sun was great! Cavetubing in Belize with bz.com. The owner Valintino was awesome and comes very highly recommended. Check trip advisor for reviews of both. Very reasonable rates as well. Both of these companies are quick to return email and aim to please. Would use them again in a heart beat! Have a wonderful time!

I love Roatan! Take a cab to West Bay a Beach, but be sure you get a price first. Cabbies are unregulated there, unlike most of the Caribbean. There are many resorts there that rent chairs, some shade for early arrives, and you can snorkel with the locals 500 ft from shore! No need for a tour!

We went to the ruins at Lamanai in Belize and it's one of the best things I've ever experienced in my life: belizecruiseexcursions.com/lamanai_belize.htm

But snorkeling in Roatan is even better. If you're uncomfortable with walking away from the port to get a taxi, book an excursions to Maya Key (formerly Fins and Flippers): mayakeyroatan.com/en/index.html

Does everyone need to go on the same excursion? We often split off and go on different excursions.

I thought the price to Xunantunich was fair enough as it was a very long day. I thought it was worth it but I did not have to pay for 6 people! We could climb the ruins.

You might look at visiting Altun Ha. It is only about 1 hour from the port. You may be able to book that for closer to $40 to $50 each, including lunch. We could climb several here as well.

Hey Everyone! I'm booked on a family cruise July 13th sailing to W. Caribbean on the Conquest. We're stopping in Belize for the day and I'm looking for ideas on what to do. I love the idea of going to see the Mayan Ruins on an excursion but the cost seems really high ($90 per adult (there's 2 adults, 2 seniors, and 2 kid going) and $85 per kid... ouch!). Is it worth it? Or should we go find a beach and relax and wander around the town and shop? Any ideas would be most helpful!

Thanks in advance!!

In Belize, we went to Altun Ha through Carnival. It's listed as being just a 1 hour drive, but it was 2 hours each way. We were 2 hours passed our scheduled return time. The ruins were good enough: some good views, some history, got to climb up the big structure. Belize has a very very long tender ride in, and Carnival excursions usually get to go first. So unless you have priority tendering or you pull some strings, you might have to wait a couple hours to get off the ship if you are not booked with Carnival. Some people love cave tubing, but there are some things about that which I would be uncomfortable with. Next time there, I'll probably either stay on the ship or book a beach excursion through Carnival.

In Roatan, I know it will be very tempting to stay at that manmade beach next to the ship. DON'T DO THAT!!! This is one of the best & most beautiful islands in the entire Caribbean!!! Get out there and explore it. It is absolutely the best port in the Western Caribbean! People who stay at that manmade beach are missing out on so much. Pick another port for your do-nothing port. This should be the port that wears you out, as there is so much to do and so much to see. You will remember this day forever if you get out there and explore it. We did a tour through Victor Bodden. My party of 3 had our own driver for the day, and we picked out what we wanted to do, and we didn't do what we didn't want to do. It's all up to you. We did snorkeling from a glass bottom boat for $15pp extra, and we were the only 3 guests on that trip. Best snorkeling that I've ever seen! From the beaches on the west end of the island, I did some off-the-beach snorkeling: the best snorkeling of that type that I've ever seen!!! Got to go all over the island and see so much, and it didn't cost very much. Very reasonable rates. Just get away from Mahogany Bay. There are other good tour operators here as well.

Edited by k2excursion

Thanks in advance!!

Roatan is our favorite island by far and Victor Boddens tours are by far the best.They cater to what your party likes and wants to do for the entire day !!! This is what we do every time we visit the island

http://boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm#HMB

Here is snorkeling from the beach at West Bay in Roatan :)

If you want to save money Belize is your best bet in my opinion Roatan is too beautiful to stay in port at a man made beach

Roatan is our favorite island by far and Victor Boddens tours are by far the best.They cater to what your party likes and wants to do for the entire day !!! This is what we do every time we visit the island

http://boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm#HMB

Here is snorkeling from the beach at West Bay in Roatan :)

If you want to save money Belize is your best bet in my opinion Roatan is too beautiful to stay in port at a man made beach

I agree with you completely! I usually agree with golfadj's statements around these boards, but not in this case. To just stay at the manmade beach at Roatan is like a roller coaster enthusiast going to Cedar Point, Ohio and not riding any rides. Or a football fanatic going to the Super Bowl and not watching any of the game. For anyone who loves a lush, mountainous island with beautiful scenery everywhere, and amazing sealife & coral to swim with; they must get away from Mahogany Bay and explore Roatan. Some people cruise for the ship experience only and don't care where they're going or what they do at the ports. For them, staying at Mahogany Bay is fine. I am guessing that the OP is not one of these people, since they are asking about the ports.

Thanks in advance!!

We did this Carnival tour on our trip to Belize and LOVED it!!!! Highly recommend. One of the best tours I've ever been on. You see a lot of the countryside on the ride to the ruins and the ruins were wonderful. Lunch was included as part of the package and was really good. Wouldn't have missed it.

In Roatan I did a beach day at Tabayana while my DH did the snuba tour. I loved Tabayana.....beautiful and relaxing. DH wasn't so crazy about the snuba. Said he enjoys just snorkeling a lot better as he didn't like having to deal with the snuba air hose.

Edited by bunny1954

Belize has the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world. Snorkeling is really good. Last time we went we followed a moray eel all over the place. We were on a Carnival Excursion and we sailed on a catamaran and had a great time.

In Belize My wife and I did the cave tubing tour. It was interesting and vary laid back relaxing tour. However yo do have to walk and carry your tube to the river. I think it was maybe a 20 minute walk. You would need to make sure the seniors are up for that.

In Isla Roatan we did the dolphin swim and snorkel. This may cost a little more than what you want to spend but it was our favorite excursion. I had no interest in this excursion at all and only booked it because of my wife but it ended up being the best one of our trip.

I left the secure area a few times and stayed in the general area and I was just fine. There is some shopping, restaurants and bars right outsize the secure zone that I walked around in the AM before my tour. I did not go far but I did go out. In the afternoon we walked around outside that area looking at birds and then went over to the Radisson Hotel. After walking around there, we went out the back of the hotel and walked along the water front, finally ending up back at the secure zone. There were few people around and those that were around paid us no attention. I then left again on my own to go back to the gift shop at the Radisson, again no problems.

I personally wouldn't leave the secure port shopping area in Belize without going on an organized excursion a lot of people rave about the cave tuning. It's just my opinion but I just didn't feel safe there.

I can't help you with Roatan, because every time we are slated to go there, our itinerary gets changed. You might want to check out the ports of call boards to see what others are doing for excursions at these 2 stops.

Some companies do not make you carry your own tube. Charlie's http://www.charliescavetubing.com is one that will carry the tubes for you.

In Belize My wife and I did the cave tubing tour. It was interesting and vary laid back relaxing tour. However yo do have to walk and carry your tube to the river. I think it was maybe a 20 minute walk. You would need to make sure the seniors are up for that.

In Isla Roatan we did the dolphin swim and snorkel. This may cost a little more than what you want to spend but it was our favorite excursion. I had no interest in this excursion at all and only booked it because of my wife but it ended up being the best one of our trip.

I highly recommend Pirates of the Caribbean zip line on Roatan. You have to book outside of Carnival for this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Agreed! Pirates of the Caribbean was definitely the best zipline! If you hire a tour operator, they can take you there. We did Rony's Tours in Roatan and they were just awesome - catered to whatever our group of four wanted to do - including snorkeling, shopping and the zipline. They are personal, professional and very affordable. Be sure to see what the island offers - you'll love it!

We did Belize, the riverboat and zoo trip. Boat much faster than last time, not too informative. Lunch before zoo and bus was very late. Had 3 cans of OFF and did not help. We were bitten up badly. Still itched 7 days later. Due to the bus being late, we were rushed thru the zoo, only 35 minutes instead of 2 hours. Roataan, did the South Beach and not good or bad, just soso.

I actually just booked the ruins excursion. It gets rave reviews and also lunch is included. For what you get the price is not bad.

I second Victor Bodden in Roatan.

Hi Kelzbelz77-

Did you book your ruins excursion through the cruise line? And are you doing the Altun Ha ruins or Lamanai with the boat ride? We are cruising in a couple of weeks and are trying to decide what to do in Belize as well.

PS. I'm booked with Victor Bodden as well. Sounds impressive from the reviews. Thanks for your answer. Suzanne

Did you ok your cave tubing thru the ship?