need advice about taxis in Hilo

seasprite

Hi all, I've been searching the boards for days now, and haven't found an answer to my questions yet, so I decided to post this tonight. We will be in Hilo for a day on a Princess cruise and are looking for ideas that don't involve a rental car or VNP. We spent a week on the big Island years ago and saw the park, did helicopter, Macadamia nut farm, etc. Hubby doesn't want to rent a car because it makes him nervous that he might miss the ship (NOT negotiable lol). I don't want to spend hours on a bus (yawn) or lots of money on a ship tour. We haven't seen the Hilo area waterfalls yet (except by helicopter), but are wondering how much it would cost for the 15 minute cab ride? Or is there a nice swimming beach nearby we can visit, weather permitting? I am now limited endurance-wise due to a recent heart diagnosis, so that complicates things. I can walk if there aren't hills and lots of stairs and I can rest along the way, but not like I used to, darn! Gotta slow the body down these days, but the brain has other ideas. Any suggestions, folks? You are wonderful. Thanks in advance!

Here is a link to Hilo taxi's

http://hawaii.gov/ito/ground-transportation/taxi-cabs

Hilo is very flat and low thus Tsunami warnings all over.

One idea is that there is a lovely garden not far from ship but too far to walk from ship for most.

Richardson Beach Park 2279 Kalanianaole St., Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI

here is also a link to reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g60583-d2578450-Reviews-_Park-Hilo_Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

it's basically a spring that runs underground and is warmed by the volcano its also a very good vantage point to see whales as the cove is well known for the whales to give birth there. From there you can see the downtown were you can grab a cab to take you over. It's a very old downtown, you'll also find the Pacific Tsunami Museum there.

I suggest you just go out of the secure area of the pier and you'll see cabs waiting, maybe have a list and ask him what it would cost for a tour.

The bus service in Hilo is also free but don't know there routes but I'm sure you can find info by using google.

Richardson Park sounds like fun! It reminds me of the small snorkeling area that was near the Outrigger when we stayed on the Kona side. It would be awesome to see a whale!! Thank you for your helpful suggestions!

When I was in Hilo in Oct. on that same cruise I used the Hoppie on Hoppie off , bus. It was very cheap $15 ?, it went into town, the gardens, Rainbow falls, black sand beach, etc. There was a market that day and I got the best deals of the trip. I went to the falls twice to see it at different times of day. When I went to the black sand beach I swam with a turtle. The drivers were great and went out of their way to help you get to where you wanted to be.

You walk outside of the terminal and towards a little store/bar. It was a great place to pick up a coconut water for the day.

Hi...Wow I am really starting to get excited. Thanks so much for the great info. That sounds perfect....provided we have enough energy left to hopie on and off, as it is our last port day lol! I think it sounds perfect...how often does the bus pass by on its rounds? I'd want to be sure we could get back to the ship in plenty of time. I saw something about it on tripadvisor, but it was outdated and I thought maybe it wasn't in existence any more. Did they have a map with stops they used so you knew where you were going? I really appreciate all of your help!!

When I was in Hilo in Oct. on that same cruise I used the Hoppie on Hoppie off , bus. It was very cheap $15 ?, it went into town, the gardens, Rainbow falls, black sand beach, etc. There was a market that day and I got the best deals of the trip. I went to the falls twice to see it at different times of day. When I went to the black sand beach I swam with a turtle. The drivers were great and went out of their way to help you get to where you wanted to be.

You walk outside of the terminal and towards a little store/bar. It was a great place to pick up a coconut water for the day.

My DH and I are considering using the Hoppa on Hoppa off bus in Hilo. Can you tell me how often they come around to each stop? How long do you have to wait for the next bus? Thanks so much for any help!

Thanks Susan...that website was perfect and now I'm all set. Two weeks to go. Hopefully this will not be a repeat message because somehow my first one deleted. Must be all our cold weather freezing things up! Can't wait for Hawaii! Pam