Has anyone rented this?

Lau92080

I was looking at the excursions for Great Stirrup Cay. Has anyone rented the cabana on the Cay? It looks nice the price is a bit much but wanted to know your thoughts if you rented it! Is it near where the ship tenders? Thank you!

We rented cabana 7 - here are some pictures. I loved it and would do it again. It's further out from where you enter the island, but it's my understanding there's a trolley service to take you to the further cabanas.

Cabana 7

DSC_0310_zpsb10459b8.jpg

Inside Cabana 7

DSC_0313_zps0a88a08d.jpg

Inside Cabana 7

DSC_0312_zpsd1e7c324.jpg

View of water and Breakaway from Cabana 7

DSC_0314_zpsc2bfb85e.jpg

View of cabanas from water

DSC_0334_zps6bac3737.jpg

We rented cabana 7 - here are some pictures. I loved it and would do it again. It's further out from where you enter the island, but it's my understanding there's a trolley service to take you to the further cabanas.

Cabana 7

DSC_0310_zpsb10459b8.jpg

Inside Cabana 7

DSC_0313_zps0a88a08d.jpg

Inside Cabana 7

DSC_0312_zpsd1e7c324.jpg

View of water and Breakaway from Cabana 7

DSC_0314_zpsc2bfb85e.jpg

View of cabanas from water

DSC_0334_zps6bac3737.jpg

Thank you for the pics! It looks so far away from the ship are there ones closer? I like cabana 7 though can you pick which one you want when you book the excursion?

We rented one last year and while it was a nice retreat, the sun didn't get to our area until mid-afternoon. For me that was major drawback as I love to lounge in the sun and ended up on the beach for half the day because it was actually cool in the shade. After they delivered our food, it was also difficult to get drinks from the beach servers.

As great as the cabana and amenities were, I personally, I wouldn't rent one again because of the lack of sunshine.

Tracy

We rented one on our last cruise in November 2012. The cabanas are located quite a way from the tender drop off point - no big deal for us, but it might be if you have an issue with navigating uneven ground and sand.

The service, food and drinks in the cabanas was great; staff were very attentive! We really felt that the money spent was worth it. But, while it was nice to have the covered deck and lounge chairs, we wouldn't do it again. Next cruise is in April, and we are planning to stay on ship rather than tendering to GSC.

I love the cabanas and wish that they'd build some small ones that are a good size and price for two people. I would DEFINITELY rent one for the shade and privacy, but the small (6 guest) cabanas are $349 for our cruise on the Breakaway. I know we could probably meet people and share, but I'd love the option for having a small one just for the two of us. $359 for the two of us is more than I want to pay for the shade/privacy, though, so we'll be finding shade elsewhere. It's a shame that they don't have smaller ones - I'd be willing to pay up to $150 or so for one.

The price difference when we booked ours was $50 between the small and the large. The large is MUCH nicer - we had 5 people - but the way the chairs are for the large (Which is for 8 people) there were 4 chairs around a table, and four loungers...when we wanted to eat lunch we had to ask the butler for a 5th chair - and they had a hard time finding one for us - so i would take that into consideration.

Also - depending on the cabana you reserve (we reserved VERY early and were given #3 ...not sure if they book in order or not) and we walked farther with the tram than without it.

I noticed in the pictures there were no umbrellas. Do they not have them on gsc? That would be strange since most Caribbean beaches offer umbrellas. Don't think I would want to roast in the sun all day but would' pay the price for a cabana either.

I noticed in the pictures there were no umbrellas. Do they not have them on gsc? That would be strange since most Caribbean beaches offer umbrellas. Don't think I would want to roast in the sun all day but would' pay the price for a cabana either.

No umbrellas. If you want shade you can rent a clamshell on the beach

Thank you for the pics! It looks so far away from the ship are there ones closer? I like cabana 7 though can you pick which one you want when you book the excursion?

The cabanas are pretty far from where the tender lets you off. I reserve mine about 6 months in advance and was assigned #7. I didn't pick.

Some of you are saying how you reserved 6 months in advance when I go to NCLs site to book it's saying I can't book until 10/8/14 the day I'll be at GSC?? I'm confused!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Some of you are saying how you reserved 6 months in advance when I go to NCLs site to book it's saying I can't book until 10/8/14 the day I'll be at GSC?? I'm confused!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hmm - maybe they're booked? I booked ours more than a year in advance (large, for only $249 - we skipped GSC, unfortunately).

We rented one of the small cabanas back in November, before the price went up. Back then, they had just become available, and were $299, which we split with another family. They do not enforce the maximum guest limit at all.

My review, which includes a video of the cabanas is at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1948175

Video link

In my opinion, the cabanas are worth it if you plan to spend the day and especially if you share between two families. There is a free shuttle bus that runs from the snorkel services hut to the cabanas all day, every 15-20 mins. Also, for us one of the best features were:

- the beach is a lot closer to the small cabanas

- less steep to the waters edge

- the smaller of the two buffet areas is a short 2-3 mins walk, near the lagoon which was deserted when we went. Most don't want to walk that far to the lagoon as it's at the far end of the island from where you arrive. Great place to get food, short or no line, and close enough to bring it back and eat in your hut.

Edited by limeyalchemist