depth of water at Folkestone?

Birdnutty

I have determined from these boards that one of the best places to snorkel is Folkestone. Good to know. Can anyone tell me the average depth of the water? I get nervous about scraping coral, both for my own sake and that of the coral, if the depth is less than 5 feet or if there is a risk of being dashed against coral by wave action. Hence, I prefer it to be deeper

If Folkestone is on the more shallow side, is there another place that is a little deeper that has good snorkeling too?

Overall. it is a reasonably large area, all accessible walking in from the beach. Much of the area is deep enough to allay your concerns, but with wave action, and some areas of the reef reaching toward the surface, you will need to pay attention.

The facility offers showers, change facilities, and a small snack bar.

Enjoy

I have determined from these boards that one of the best places to snorkel is Folkestone. Good to know. Can anyone tell me the average depth of the water? I get nervous about scraping coral, both for my own sake and that of the coral, if the depth is less than 5 feet or if there is a risk of being dashed against coral by wave action. Hence, I prefer it to be deeper

If Folkestone is on the more shallow side, is there another place that is a little deeper that has good snorkeling too?

We have been there a few times. It is of various depths. Of course at the shoreline it is sandy with some rocks and gets deeper as you go. My son and I went a ways out last time and it was deep, like 15 to 20 feet. But there are shallow areas too where you could be hitting against coral, which of course is not fun for us or the coral. It is easy to swim around the shallow areas. When we were way out we did see a huge school of blue tangs, and years ago, in 2002 I saw an eel snake kind of thing. Lots of fish and coral to see, plus it is a really pretty park with the church there too.