Mini suites on the dawn

cruiserwithkid

We are looking to book a cruise to the Bermuda in august on the NCL and are debating between the mini suite or balcony. I wanted to ask the group what their experiences have been in mini suites on the Dawn. Noise levels, comfort? I know that there is more room in the mini suites - other than that, is there any difference?

If memory serves me right, there is a tub and shower combo in the mini suite and the balcony has just a shower. Which could be good with you child. Yes, there more room with the sitting area.

You can have concierge service but we never once used it because when we went in the mini before we had kids and didn't need anything. : )

Is there a huge price difference for the dates you are looking at?

At the time, the Dawn was running a special and the mini was less than a balcony but we had the worst noise from our location. This was back in 2003 so I am not even sure if they still have these cabins available after the refurbishing.

Edited by McCutie

Thanks!! We are actually getting a free upgrade to a mini from the balcony courtesy of the TA. But with a 4 yr old we are always mindful of noise around us. The kid is exceptionally quiet for a 4 yr old!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

More specifically if the suite is under the library (11552) is it good or bad?

We really enjoyed our mini on deck 11 aft because of the proximity to the Spa! We were able to use it as a second place to shower.

The concierge perk is no longer offered to the mini suites. I don't think people were really using it that much.

More specifically if the suite is under the library (11552) is it good or bad?

We are traveling with friends on the Dawn, I booked them in 11552, I believe it has a suite above it, the library would be over the inside cabins on deck 11 if I am not mistaken. We were in 11532 last year and enjoyed the mini suite.

Edited by coscab

That is great! definitely take the mini esp. no difference in price.Your location should be totally fine. We were on deck 11 and in the very last cabin which was below the gym and it was very noisey at the worst times..... 6 am step aerobics was painful we were just strolling in from being out all night.... A hahahah! The vibration was unreal.

Not even sure if step areobics even exist anymore : )

Oh, good to know about the concierge service. I didn't realize they did away with that for the mini suites. Way too many mini suites to accommodate.

You will have a great time with your 4 yr old! My kids love to cruise. They are 9, 5 & 4.

Thank you so much everyone. My kid fell in love with cruising last year. We did our first ever cruise on the NCL Sky Christmas 2012 & he was in heaven!! He now wants to celebrate his 5th birthday on the cruise ship :)

Thank you so much everyone. My kid fell in love with cruising last year. We did our first ever cruise on the NCL Sky Christmas 2012 & he was in heaven!! He now wants to celebrate his 5th birthday on the cruise ship :)

My son celebrated his 3rd birthday on a Dawn cruise. It was his second cruise but first he could remember (other was at 13 months). He too has fallen in love with cruising an can't wait to go back. April can't get here quick enough :D

On my cruise in November. we were in 11056, which is slightly forward. There were cabins both above and below us and so, there was never an issue with noise. In fact, I would recommend this cabin to anyone who asked. The balcony has a slight overhang, which protected us when it rained or if the sun was too strong. I was nervous about the blank area directly opposite of our door on the deck plans. Come to find out, it is fire fighting equipment so, was never a problem(if they had to use it, there would have been a bigger problem than noise!) We were 3 grown women in this cabin for 2 weeks and had plenty of room. Yes, there is a bathtub for your little one. and a curtain you can pull across the room to block out light when your child sleeps, if you are staying up later. Have a great cruise!

No, way too many full suites and new platinum cruisers to accommodate.

Actually, they did away with concierge service for mini-suites years before they changed the Latitudes program to make it so easy to attain Platinum. ;)

Edited by Cubechick

We really enjoyed our mini on deck 11 aft because of the proximity to the Spa! We were able to use it as a second place to shower.

The concierge perk is no longer offered to the mini suites. I don't think people were really using it that much.

I have to agree. We were on deck 11 minis twice on the Dawn and the spa was exceptionally convenient. In addition, it was just a quick flight up the stairs to the buffet and the pool. Very easy to bring a snack back to the room.;)

Alright!!! Just completed the reservation! August 1st on the Dawn from Boston to Bermuda...minisuite :)

Now the big question - how can these 7 months go faster?

We went on 8/2 this past year. Be prepared for possible heavy rain. We had several excursions cancelled, so just do some research on alternative things to do just in case.

We also got an upgrade from a balcony to a mini suite on our last cruise. We did have quite a bit of noise from a suite which was above us. There were a group of very loud and nasty young men whose language and noise level left much to be desired. But the update to a mini is wonderful. The tub is a plus and the extra space in the "sitting" area is great as well.

Sorry! I shouldn't have spectualated on why the took away the concierge service for mini suites. To be honest, I really never heard anything great about the concierge for minis. We had a huge group traveling with us in a bunch of mini suites on that sailing and no one saw or used the concierge.

The last time we were on the Dawn was back in August 2011, after the refurb. but we were in one of the garden villas so I had no idea the concierge service wasn't offered to the minis until I read it on here.

All in all, the op will enjoy the mini for the extra room and better bathroom esp. since it is not costing extra.

And leaving out of Boston is great! So easy!

We like the mini for one specific reason - able to close the drape between bed and couch when one of us stays up late, or gets up early, or even a mid day nap.

Other than that, there are no perks for mini.

And, I sometimes chuckle when other ask if the mini, or even suite is worth the extra money - and then many say YES - book it.

Apparently, most people do not think either are worth it, or they would all be booked way before the balcony, insides and OVs get booked. Right?

We like the mini for one specific reason - able to close the drape between bed and couch when one of us stays up late, or gets up early, or even a mid day nap.

Other than that, there are no perks for mini.

And, I sometimes chuckle when other ask if the mini, or even suite is worth the extra money - and then many say YES - book it.

Apparently, most people do not think either are worth it, or they would all be booked way before the balcony, insides and OVs get booked. Right?

I guess it is relative. Is the Mini worth the extra money to you? The individual.

It is to me.

My old boss never ever cruised in anything but an inside (many cruises). It would never have been worth it to him.

We booked a balcony for our first cruise and knew we were spoilt for life - not for any of the perks, but for the peaceful feeling we got sitting in the balcony at midnight staring at the dark blue seas glittering in the moonlight. This time we got a mini suite as a free upgrade from a balcony. It all depends on how much time you spend in your room. If like us, you spend a considerable amount of time in the room because of kids nap times etc, more space & the ability to sit in the open air must be worth it, right?

Edited by cruiserwithkid

We are looking to book a cruise to the Bermuda in august on the NCL and are debating between the mini suite or balcony. I wanted to ask the group what their experiences have been in mini suites on the Dawn. Noise levels, comfort? I know that there is more room in the mini suites - other than that, is there any difference?

I wouldn't do it if there is a big price difference, but if the prices are close, go for it. The room was nice on Dawn, but had an odd set up. The vanity is in the hallway near the door, so the way was blocked when my wife was sitting there. Plus, there was an oddly placed table near the tv stand that didn't make much sense. Otherwise, it was a decent room with an excellent bathroom.

Now, what I really didn't like was the balcony on Dawn. The deck 11 mini suites toward the aft have an angled partition. The balconies are not private and you can actually step around the partitions from balcony to balcony.