Taxi or celebrity airport shuttle?

j in tx

Hi,

I've never done the cruise line airport shuttle, and am wondering which is preferable, this or a taxi. I'm flying out of Ft. Lauderdale, considering 11:50am flight. They do offer this on their choice air, so I assume it's possible. I'd appreciate your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks!

Hi,

I've never done the cruise line airport shuttle, and am wondering which is preferable, this or a taxi. I'm flying out of Ft. Lauderdale, considering 11:50am flight. They do offer this on their choice air, so I assume it's possible. I'd appreciate your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks!

Assuming you are sailing out of FLL absolutely do the taxi, it is cheaper and you go when you want. If you do the shuttle you will have to wait until the bus is full to leave.

Absolutely take a taxi, it's usually cheaper or no more expensive and you don't have to wait for a bus to fill up. You may also want to consider self disembarkation. You do have to cart your own bags off the ship, but you get a head start on customs so the lines aren't usually long, and you get to the airport before the crowds. FLL is close to the pier so a taxi won't be expensive.

Edited by cynbar

There will be taxis lined up , especially if you disembark early and beat the crowds. No need to pre arrange transportation. By getting off early, you avoid the lines for EVERYTHING that will build as the morning goes on: customs, taxis, security at the airport/

One option for early disembarkation is SELF DISEMBARKATION.

If you can maintain control of your luggage through the ship to the curb you might consider this. This group is usually first off.

HOWEVER

There is the possibility that you would have to lug your luggage down stairs if the elevators are crowded. When you exit the ship there might be an escalator (depending on pier) which you cannot use if you cannot have one hand free to hold the belt. There will be an elevator but there will be a line.

FLL is less than 15 minutes from the port and a taxi is inexpensive and far faster than the bus transfer. It also allows you to maintain proximity to your luggage.

General disembarkation is encumbered by customs and immigration so please keep that in mind. Staffing has been affected by cutbacks and can be an issue. There can also be a shortage related to the number of ships in port.

There are several things you can do to facilitate the process for general disembarkation. Have an easily identifiable strap, ribbon, or marking on your luggage. Have your customs forms filled out completely. Have your receipts handy. If you have exceeded your duty be prepared to take additional time to pay the excess. Do not take any prohibited fruits or vegetables off the ship. Do not wear new jewelry. Do not exceed your allowances for liquor or tobacco products. It goes without saying that Cuban cigars and illegal drugs are forbidden.

During your cruise you will be asked to give your flight number and pertinent information. Please make sure you return the form as requested. Your disembarkation color or number is issued with your tags on the last day of the cruise.

To make things run more smoothly at the airport it is best to check in online at the 24 hour mark and pay any baggage fees. The internet café will have a printer to print your boarding passes. Another alternative is to have a trusted family member or friend check you in and pay the fees. You can print your boarding passes at check in.

If all goes as planned you should not have any problem with general disembarkation. You should have an early disembarkation time.

I really dislike self disembarkation. The ability to maneuver luggage through the ship can be cumbersome and the gathering place for this designated group will be congested by passengers who are anxious (and not always in a good way) to get off the ship. It can make the memories of a really great cruise sour quickly.

Consider your options knowing that either way you will make your flight with time to spare. I'm not promising a seat at the crowded airport though.

We typically use a car service as opposed to a taxi when headed to Ft. Lauderdale from Miami, which we did just this week. I know this is a bit more expensive, but not as much as you might think. We do carry our own luggage on and off the ship, so that can make the process go faster. We asked the driver to be there at 8:00. Stayed in our cabin until 7:30, walked right off the ship, was in the car within 5 minutes and at the airport by a little after 8:00. We used Larry's Car Service. There are several services and all are happy to give you a quote.