Oasis of the Seas Loses Power

Correct CH has a way of telling a story in order to keep his profile alive. Which is a shame as he used to be more active on various cruise boards, and yet his own site is in limbo and his FB page for his website is very out of date.

He obviously still has a passion for cruising, and will know doubt be making noise for many years. :eek:

If you click on the image and magnify to 400%, you should be able to see the twitter account at least. It is a twitter feed from a competing board, started by a young poster who used to post here all the time. He was actually on the ship according to the posts and is now on Indy for an 8 day.

Posted on Events at Sea:

January 3 Oasis of the Seas

Royal Caribbean International From a passenger: The ship lost power for about 20 minutes at 11:52 PM. The Captain subsequently reported there had been a failure of a generator.

Generator failure / power loss

Please don't shout at me but, quoting Events at Sea is only quoting the same unreliable source. We have heard the facts earlier in this thread and as I stated earlier too there is a website *************.com a legal firm whose sole task in life is to criticise and find fault with any cruise line - that would rip RCI to shreds if they thought it was a serious breach of safety.

OK, shout at me as much as you like. I am only grateful that RCI had procedures in place to deal with the problem.

Please don't shout at me but, quoting Events at Sea is only quoting the same unreliable source. We have heard the facts earlier in this thread and as I stated earlier too there is a website *************.com a legal firm whose sole task in life is to criticise and find fault with any cruise line - that would rip RCI to shreds if they thought it was a serious breach of safety.

OK, shout at me as much as you like. I am only grateful that RCI had procedures in place to deal with the problem.

Yeah, the time they listed is later than it possibly could have been based on the other reports which all point to around 10:38. The length also seems way longer than the few minutes everyone else is claiming.

I was on the oasis last night. It lasted 30 secs and was fully restored. Emergency systems were operating during that time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Posted on Events at Sea:

January 3 Oasis of the Seas

Royal Caribbean International From a passenger: The ship lost power for about 20 minutes at 11:52 PM. The Captain subsequently reported there had been a failure of a generator.

Generator failure / power loss

Hmmm...:rolleyes:

I was on Oasis with my children in Boardwalk Balconies. We were packing our bags when the lights went out. It was less than minute before back up power came on but much longer before regular power (all lights, AC, TV, etc) came back on. Captain then made announcement that one of the generators had a temporary problem which was quickly fixed. We did notice a light smoke/gas smell at first when we went on balcony to check on what was going on.

I was on the Oasis when power was lost. We were in a comedy show. The lights went out for a few minutes before auxiliary power came on. We left the show and returned to our cabin. It was apparent that power had been lost throughout the ship. The wifi and television systems were both down. From our balcony we could see that the ship's engines were not running and over a period of 10-15 minutes it was clear that the ship was drifting. Other cruise ships in the area moved closer to the Oasis, one appeared to be a half mile off the starboard side of the ship. After 20-30 minutes the captain made an announcement that power had been lost and fully restored. After the announcement it was clear that the engines were running. The nearby cruise ships moved away.

Not what you want to have happen on a floating hotel.

I was on the Oasis when power was lost. We were in a comedy show. The lights went out for a few minutes before auxiliary power came on. We left the show and returned to our cabin. It was apparent that power had been lost throughout the ship. The wifi and television systems were both down. From our balcony we could see that the ship's engines were not running and over a period of 10-15 minutes it was clear that the ship was drifting. Other cruise ships in the area moved closer to the Oasis, one appeared to be a half mile off the starboard side of the ship. After 20-30 minutes the captain made an announcement that power had been lost and fully restored. After the announcement it was clear that the engines were running. The nearby cruise ships moved away.

Not what you want to have happen on a floating hotel.

Welcome to CC!