Snow storm/no insurance question

junglecat

Let me reiterate, these people are barely able to even go so in THEIR minds the cost of insurance was a waste. And I might add they took little if any help /information i gave them. But. . . . .they were able to have someone take them to Louisville last night at ten. It's less than two hours from Indy. They made a 10:00 o'clock flight this morning and are on their way!!!!!!!

Well stated. Insurance for trip interruption is like getting an extended warranty when making a purchase. If you can afford the "loss" you are usually financially better off skipping insurance and warranties. Yes, sometimes crap happens and the insurance will soften the blow, but that doesn't change the fact that they make money selling insurance. How? Because they get more revenue from the sales then they pay on claims.

Again, if you can afford to pay the catch up costs or willing to lose the money spent on a canceled trip AND you have international medical insurance, then I would suggest not getting the insurance.

We have Medicare & a Medigap policy. Medicare does not cover us out of the country. Our Medigap would cover some (80%) after a deductible, but it would be very costly if one of us had to be medivaced somewhere. That's why we buy the insurance. Peace of mind.

Glad to hear the OP's friends got out in time.

DH and I get trip insurance because it gives me peace of mind. DD and SIL did not get insurance for our December cruise. We all live in the DFW area and we had an ice storm which hit December 5-6. We were scheduled to sail December 7th from Galveston. We couldn't leave until the 6th due to SIL's work. We were lucky, we made it.

DH's friend from work was sailing to Hawaii on 12-8. She had to pay an extra $3,000 because DFW was shut down several days. So she had to drive south (or west) and then fly to Hawaii. Pay extra because she missed the Mexico (only foreign) port. She started telling them at work about all the extra money the trip cost her, and DH asked her about insurance. Sheepishly, she admitted she never bought it, but she would always in the future. Lesson learned the hard way.

Very expensive less to learn.

Let me reiterate, these people are barely able to even go so in THEIR minds the cost of insurance was a waste. And I might add they took little if any help /information i gave them. But. . . . .they were able to have someone take them to Louisville last night at ten. It's less than two hours from Indy. They made a 10:00 o'clock flight this morning and are on their way!!!!!!!

Yay!!

It's good that your Friends made their

10;00 clock flight............

Happy Cruising to them................

Lilmizz we are just to your south in Seymour and will be on the Liberty sailing 1/18. What ship will you be on?:)

WE will be on the Dream! We were thinking Liberty but Ive never been on the dream class ships so Thats what won me over... Hope We get out of Indiana!!! Are you flying from Indy? We are leaving the 17th on southwest

Edited by lilmizz

It never fails...you always need the insurance when you have not purchased it. I must say though, I have had more than one experience that the knowledge that I did have insurance kept me calm when the possibility of travel problems reared its ugly head. Sometimes piece of mind is worth the 50 dollars it costs.

This is so true!

This is so true!

It's funny - I purchased trip insurance every time and always thought of it as taking care if I missed the trip. However I got hurt on one trip and found out it reimbursed my medical insurance deductible and coinsurance so using just that once paid for all the times I purchased it.

Yes, as you stated in hindsight it would of been cheaper. Not arguing that point.

What I am saying is that insurance companies make money on the product they sell. Insurance. People pay more for their product, then the insurance company has to pay out in claims. Point is, if you can comfortably afford to loose the money, odds are that you will come out ahead by not getting the insurance.

I have cruised close to 20 times. never missed a ship, never need the insurance. If I end up missing the ship on my upcoming cruise, I will still be ahead. This is how insurance companies make money....having the odds stacked in their favor.

If I told you I can insure a $10 item for $2, you would probably not take me up on that offer, being that you are willing to loose the $10, rather then pay 20% more.

This advice is ONLY for those who can afford the loss/catch up transportation and those who have or can add international health insurance.

Very good advise, totally agree

Speaking for myself, if we didnt have an emergency fund that could cover various eventualities would be staying at home and not cruising.

Best piece of mind is funds in the bank.

If one has the funds to do that. Many of us don't, and cruise on a prayer. Otherwise many of us would be staying home and have no memories to be made.

If one has the funds to do that. Many of us don't, and cruise on a prayer. Otherwise many of us would be staying home and have no memories to be made.

Like to sleep at night and not worry about bills. As a result we went on very inexpensive vacations for some years until we felt we could afford a nicer vacation.

To each their own.

I have a question in regard to the upcoming storm. Some friends are to leave Indy tomorrow at 11, but. . . . there is a horrible storm coming and we're to get 8 to 14 inches of snow overnight. Not to mention 13 below temps. Their cruise leaves out of Miami on Monday. Never have I done this, but to cut costs none of the group of four bought insurance. If they don't make it, in time, are they out everything? Does Carnival try and get them on another upcoming cruise? I'm going to assume if so, for a fee or a regular priced ticket and a new booking. I suggested getting in the car and heading south NOW, but what do I know. I'd rather have to make the drive than be out an entire cruise.

I guess all is well with them. Other than boarding today, they are likely watching tv and the weather they left behind. Weather channel just reported from your area, wow.

Wow is an understatement! 14 inches of snow and 11 below before wind chill! Ready for the 19th to get here!

We're in Michigan and leaving on the 17th. Also can't wait as we have tons of snow and it's -2 degrees right now and getting colder for tomorrow.

Why, oh way, do I live in Michigan?

We're in Michigan and leaving on the 17th. Also can't wait as we have tons of snow and it's -2 degrees right now and getting colder for tomorrow.

ITs -13 degrees in Indianapolis...Wind chill - 40 ... Y oh Y.... Cant wait til next Friday!

Moved to Va for warmth. It is 25 now going to about 0 tonight

Even here in the Deep South we have been in the 30's all day and have a low of 15 tonight with a wind chill in the single digits which is really low for this area. Per the weatherman here it will break records that are decades old. We won't get above freezing tomorrow. :( (wish there was a brrrr face)

On this day four years ago I actually did miss my ship due to a snow storm in Nashville, TN. Luck was with us - as the very night the flight got cancelled (flying in the day before didn't help as it got cancelled and the next days' flights got cancelled as well) I got a notification from Carnival that the ship had mechanical failure in its propulsion system and we could sail on a modified itinerary or receive a full refund. We chose the refund (thank heavens!) and sailed on a different ship the next week. So much stress and heartache..... I cried like a baby and then a faulty thruster saved us!

On this day four years ago I actually did miss my ship due to a snow storm in Nashville, TN. Luck was with us - as the very night the flight got cancelled (flying in the day before didn't help as it got cancelled and the next days' flights got cancelled as well) I got a notification from Carnival that the ship had mechanical failure in its propulsion system and we could sail on a modified itinerary or receive a full refund. We chose the refund (thank heavens!) and sailed on a different ship the next week. So much stress and heartache..... I cried like a baby and then a faulty thruster saved us!

Wow you got lucky