Some advice on stateroom selection please

Minz

Hi

My mother, me and my 8 year old daughter will be taking an 8 night transatlantic crossing as a part of a near global circumnavigation. I have spent what seems like hundreds of hours trawling posts to try and work out an ideal stateroom for the three of us to share. So far my daughter has requested a Pullman bunk and both me and my mother are okay with an outside view room. However, I am beginning to wonder if we may be better off with a sheltered balcony in midships: fresh air, sound of the sea, and a chance to feel more like we are "at sea". My daughter will be using the kids club and we won't mind a long walk to our room so aft and fore are not out of the question. At this point I have a quiet stateroom on deck 6 nearly at the bow with a Pullman and have selected for 'no upgrade'.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated by those who have the experience that I do not have!

Kindest regards

Minz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When are you going? In the middle of winter, you probably won't get much use out of a balcony. I don't think there are third person options with balcony cabins except for some of the obstructed view ones on Deck 8.

When are you going? In the middle of winter, you probably won't get much use out of a balcony. I don't think there are third person options with balcony cabins except for some of the obstructed view ones on Deck 8.

I've sailed in a triple with pull out sofa in a sheltered balcony on deck 4.

Hi

My mother, me and my 8 year old daughter will be taking an 8 night transatlantic crossing as a part of a near global circumnavigation. I have spent what seems like hundreds of hours trawling posts to try and work out an ideal stateroom for the three of us to share. So far my daughter has requested a Pullman bunk and both me and my mother are okay with an outside view room. However, I am beginning to wonder if we may be better off with a sheltered balcony in midships: fresh air, sound of the sea, and a chance to feel more like we are "at sea". My daughter will be using the kids club and we won't mind a long walk to our room so aft and fore are not out of the question. At this point I have a quiet stateroom on deck 6 nearly at the bow with a Pullman and have selected for 'no upgrade'.

I've sailed in an outside view room on deck 6, a sheltered balcony on deck 4, and an obstructed balcony on deck 8. Out of the three, I preferred the sheltered balcony cabins. The outside view rooms are OK, but since they are at the very front of the ship, you will have more movement if the seas are rough.

The QM2 is a very long ship. The walk from deck 6 forward, to the kids club in the aft takes a while. However, my daughter was 1 at the time, and not walking, so it might have seemed longer to me then it really was...

Hello

I Have sailed 15 times on Queen Mary 2. (14 crossings and one Med cruise.) I have been on deck 12 and also 11. Mostly I have been on deck five in a sheltered in hull balcony cabin usually mid-ship but most recently (2013) farther aft closer to the launderette between C and D stairways.

To me hull balcony cabins are great for crossings as you are very much in touch with the sea with all its beauty, music and magic which for me is one reason I take this wonderful ship to cross the Atlantic. Balconies on the higher decks may get little real use due to weather conditions on crossings (wind and sometimes fog) although the overall view may be superior to some as you are higher up. Please keep in mind that your view of the ocean from hull balcony cabins is diminished greatly if you are sitting down or resting in bed.

If I were you, I would avoid cabins on deck 6 as you may experience noise from deck 7 (Promenade deck) from joggers and deck chairs being moved about. As others have mentioned I would also avoid being too far forward as you may experience too much pitching in rough conditions for your comfort.

As I usually travel alone I can't comment on third person bedding in hull balcony cabins as I never took note but I'm sure Cunard can advise. To me a long walk to the children's center is a good thing because of the exercise and you get to say hello to so many fellow passengers and crew members as you pass them by on your way!

Have fun!

Deck Chair. (Patrick)

Edited by deck chair