Queen Mary & Long Beach grocery store?

vegasbrew

We are looking for a grocery store to buy orange juice or pop before our cruise. We have reservations at the Queen Mary the night before. Is there anything convenient to the port? We will be flying into LAX and bused to the hotel. Any suggestions?

We are looking for a grocery store to buy orange juice or pop before our cruise. We have reservations at the Queen Mary the night before. Is there anything convenient to the port? We will be flying into LAX and bused to the hotel. Any suggestions?

Yes, the free bus goes to the Walmart, and I believe the Queen Mary is one of the stops on the free bus. There is also an Albertsons across the street from Walmart. I suggest you go during the day. We have used it several times when we stay at the Hyatt on Pine St.

http://www.lbtransit.com/services/passport.aspx

Well, we all concur; I was going to mention those very two same stores. And yes, during the day! I love Long Beach but would not go into that area after dark. If it is a nice day, you could walk part or even all of the way if you feel like it, or maybe just from DT to Wal Mart.

Wait!! We are a family of 10 adults and were planning on going out to dinner from the Hotel Maya to say somewhere in San Pedro using the free shuttle.........is it dangerous to go at night? How scary is it? We will have my in laws who are in their 80's. I don't want to put them in any danger.

Wait!! We are a family of 10 adults and were planning on going out to dinner from the Hotel Maya to say somewhere in San Pedro using the free shuttle.........is it dangerous to go at night? How scary is it? We will have my in laws who are in their 80's. I don't want to put them in any danger.

The Passport does not go to San Pedro.

Doubt the hotel will take you to San Pedro as it's 7 miles away.

Along the Passport bus route I remember many restaurants. Yardhouse and Dave's BBQ come to mind.

The area around the Aquarium is safe enough. The more dicey areas are around the Walmart on 5th.

Looking at the Map you'd want to get off at Shoreline Village for those two restaurants.

http://www.lbtransit.com/Schedules/Default.aspx?routegrp=30&routes=The Passport&direction=Outbound&day=today&mode=map

How mobile are your parents? The busstop at the Maya is at the street and the hotel is set back a bit. Also there will be a bit of walking to the restaurants.

If mobility is a problem and the hotel can't shuttle you the other option is using several taxis. Fare should be very inexpensive.

At Ocean and Pine there is Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brew pub. Never eaten here as we are at the busstop before 10am. The busstop is just outside the restaurant.

Edited by SadieN

...were planning on going out to dinner from the Hotel Maya to say somewhere in San Pedro using the free shuttle.........is it dangerous to go at night? ...

As stated, you will not be taking the Passport Shuttle bus. It's just a tourist convenience in the immediate area - shopping, restaurants, etc. There are plenty of restaurants in Long Beach; you certainly don't have to go anywhere further. Like any city, there are "bad" areas of Long Beach; I wouldn't be walking around after dark except to go to dinner and back, really.

We ate dinner at the Gaucho Grill on North Pine; it is delicious Argentinian food. :)

The Passport bus goes from Hotel Maya to the tourist area which is directly across the water. You could walk actually. Very safe and nice place at most all hours.

The bus also runs a little further out to where Wal*Mart is. Last time we went during the day. My husband is over 6' and a BIG guy. He even used to be a security guard. He felt the Wal *Mart area was scary and was thankful I wasn't there on my own.

However with a group of 10 adults, you're probably fine at any time of day. But if you decide to do Wal*Mart just go during the day with others and try not to look flashy or touristy.

As far as scary goes---

A few cruises back the Blue Line couldn't get to the Transit Center so we got off near the far end of the Passport Line route.

Three white, grey-haired gals dragging suitcases going to the busstop. Walked to one further than we needed to but that's OK.

Had no problem. Actually had other walkers (not from the Blue Line) help us with directions.

Let's just say that the area is very 'urban'.

Of course then I didn't have the map on my phone and it wouldn't load on the street. Now it's always available in my iBooks.

thank you for the information on the Long Beach Passport "free" bus- I am so excited we now wont need to rent a car on Sunday after disembarkation---just need to see if the Queen Mary (the hotel we are staying at pre cruise) will let us store our suitcases on Sunday until we need to head to the airport so we can pop around town...

thank you for the information on the Long Beach Passport "free" bus- I am so excited we now wont need to rent a car on Sunday after disembarkation...

You know what? The only car rental agency in Long Beach (DT area, not the airport), Enterprise, is closed on Sundays anyway. :rolleyes: So you win! :D

LOL--decided we wanted to rent a car anyways cause we booked an evening flight home to Phoenix so want to head up to Hollywood and see the tourist trap of Hollywood Blvd before heading back to LAX

we actually found a Budget at 333 Ocean Blvd http://locations.budget.com/ca/long-beach/l9b.html which is like a block from the Pine and 1st http://www.lbtransit.com/Schedules/Default.aspx?routegrp=30&routes=The%20Passport&direction=Outbound&day=today&mode=map stop on the Passport bus and they are open on Sundays...there is also an Avis right there as well that was open on Sundays but yes the enterpirse is closed Sundays--so weird--- we went with Budget cause we had a coupon code.

We are taking the cheap group Super Shuttle from LAX to the Queen Mary when we arrive.

Edited by J2tyco