Ventura Xmas 2013 cruise comments needed

thomros

Good morning, I would like to hear from all those who have just returned from the 14 night Xmas and New Years cruise on Ventura. I have booked this cruise for Xmas 2014 and would be very interested in what your comments are about this cruise. The good and bad points, drinks packages, what was the food like etc., Also what happened on Xmas Eve/Xmas day ( what's on ) and New Year's Eve etc . Any information you can give would be appreciated as I am looking forward to this cruise. Thank you, Rose

Would also love to hear about your xmas cruise. I am also booked onto the xmas 2014 cruise on ventura and would like to hear the good, bad and ugly. More comments the better.

What islands you visited and trips, p&o or did you book independently?

Thanks the Bells xx

Just got back today from Ventura and had a brilliant time. I intend to write a review when I get the time - and can stay awake long enough, as the flight and lack sleep is just catching up (as only got back this morning). We're also booked for xmas / new year next year, same ship and even same cabin!

We didn't take part in much of the "ship stuff" so can't comment on the entertainment or activities etc. We chose to spent most of our time on the ship reading and relaxing on the balcony.

Xmas day and new year's eve were formal with special menus. Food overall was generally good (I know this can be very subjective and this is only my personal opinion) with a choice of 3 starters, 2 soups, 4 mains (inc one vegetarian and a fish) and 3 or 4 desserts / ice cream, then cheese. Apart from xmas day and NYE, always available were other starters (eg prawn cocktail or melon) and mains of chicken, salmon or steak. As I don't eat many meats, I had steak quite a bit and some were very tender and cooked perfectly for me.

On xmas day and NYE, there was only 2 seatings (6.15 and 8.45) and they asked people to book their time and the size table wanted in advance. Between 7am and 12 noon on Sunday before xmas they had staff in the dining room to take bookings (first come first served). The speciality restaurants could be booked (one was closed xmas day I think and it wasn't The White Room) but it was £35 for xmas day and I didn't think that the menu was anything special.

My only gripe about food was that there was a special food theme in the Buffet on different evenings. I don't know if this was just for the Christmas / new year cruise, but the first evening it was BBQ. The buffet was actually closed (yes CLOSED!) and the BBQ was on deck with limited choice (and the meats were warmish and not hot). Other evening 'themes' inc asian and caribbean. As I don't like spicy food and with a food allergy it can be difficult to know if what I'm allergic to is 'hidden' in such food, and so we avoided the buffet in the evenings and did the restaurant.

As I'd let P&O know about both my and my DHs food allergy food allergy, the head waiter we had was brilliant and brought us the following days menus for us to choose from. We were both very happy with the way this was dealt with and we had great wait staff. We did freedom dining by choice, but found a waiter we had had on an Azura cruise, so went back to him and his assistant every evening.

Hope this helps.

It was a fantastic cruise especially the Christmas touches - carol service, pantomime, nativity play, arrival of Santa, strictly come dancing spin off etc.

Food was top notch, found a couple of really rude wine waiters in the freedom dining restaurants but beyond that service was exceptional.

Ventura arrived back in Barbados 24 hours early due to a medical emergency which meant a number of the final sea day events were cancelled which was a shame, however could not be helped under the circumstances.

If I find time will do full review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi

I too was on this cruise. I thought it was fantastic and am thinking of booking again. It was my 5th cruise and 2nd time on Ventura but first Christmas on a cruise. Things had changed since I last went 5 years ago. Informal nights no longer existed so 4 formal and 10 casual. The theatre was good with quality acts. The music around the ship in all areas was very good. Everything was going on around you, as much or as little as you wanted. We did the 8.30 dining, which if I book again, I would actually try freedom dining. I loved the 8.30 seating and its good to have the same waiters every night as they get to know what you like, but the weather is hot and the places are all lovely to visit, then theres the sailaways so we found that finishing dinner at around 10, we were just too tired to do anything else so maybe next time we will go freedom. Food was lovely, entertainment was good. The only bad things I can think of is that we never got to use the pools or Jacuzzis much as we had liked due to kids being in there most of the time. We tended to use the oasis spa pool. I knew there would be lots of kids onboard and I do like a family ship. My daughter is 21 and she had a cabin next to us with her fiancée, but sometimes there were little kids in the Jacuzzis and never no space. And on sea days , unless you are up early, then finding a bed can be a disaster. We looked for over an hour and when we couldn't find any, we headed to the viewing deck above the bridge and lay down our towels, which quite a lot followed us, so that was ok. I personally think the drinks were very pricey this time and would either purchase my own next time or take a package as 4 drinks were costing £20 a time which my daughter was finding far too pricey and me myself wasn't happy that a small can of lemonade was £2.50 to go with your drink and that you was not allowed the coke without the ice ! still don't understand that one really. But then again:

The countries were beautiful , the cruise was great and if there is anyone out there that knows how the poorly passenger is then I send my best wishes as that could not have been a experience I would like to happen to someone close to me.

Sherri

I too have come back from this cruise - depressing!!

We had a great time, booked for this Xmas whilst on board. Says it all really??

Anyway, does anyone know if the gentleman taken off for the medical emergency is ok? Ship gossip was not positive on our departure.

I have heard many opinions whilst on board, some who would never return due to the 'Butlins' atmosphere, some who disliked the 'foxtrot brigade' but you know the ship is big enough to escape any of these things if thats what you choose to do. There are lots of dining choices, some require a bit of forward planning - last year the White Room was average so didn't go this time but went to East twice this time and was lovely.

Buffet on the whole was great apart from British night when it was mediocre to say the least but its all down to personal taste.

Staff were generally lovely - as above poster states there are exceptions with some rolling of eyes and sighing going on (not happy in job?) but many many others who take the time to know your name and serve you with a smile and a bit of banter too.

As I said, we are going this year for the 3rd time and have had a blast, meeting some lovely people along the way.

Whats not to love about cruising the Caribbean at Xmas and New Year???

Sx:)

We too are back from the Xmas/New Cruise, which we booked following the Christmas Cruise in 2012. Can't complain about anything really. Bit of a hiccup with our initial dining plans which got sorted back to Club, but would consider Freedom in the future. Just like Shez we found it hard staying awake past 10.30. We did make an effort to get the early headliners show and a couple of the later ones, they were really quite good. Food is always an matter of opinion, I heard a few people moaning about portion size and lack of vegetable choice. Given that evening can consist of 5 courses and its food almost 24hours, not sure anyone can complain of being hungry. All the food we had was of good quality. We changed a couple of items when ordering and there was never any indication from the waiters that it was inconvenient. Sailaways were good, but again you either love or loathe. Dressing up is always nice for us. Did see a few who didn't seem to have bothered at all eg shorts and t shirt of formal night! We buy the commodores drinks package, which gave us a good selection of wines we like. £17.50 for a bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc is quite good compared to our local restaurant prices! I personally felt Christmas wasn't that Christmassy, but I loved New Year & the Deck Party! Tried to book for next year but unfortunately can't get a cabin that we like....will keep trying.

Hope you have a good time! (well jealous) :)