First visit to Grank Turk

MEOWSMURPHY

I'm pretty excited..we booked a southern Caribbean cruise last night and Grand Turk is one of our ports. In looking at Carnival's website it appears that their is a rather large extensive pool smack in the center of the port area? Is this true? If so, is their a charge for this area? We also like to snorkel so might look into that. Any input from someone who has been to Grand Turk would be most appreciated...

Thanks..Emmy

We were in Grand Turk on a cruise in May 2010 (almost 4 years ago now), but yes, it's true about the large pool. It's at Margaritaville, which is right at the cruise center where you'll get off the ship. The pool is free and is quite large. There is a swim-up bar. We didn't hang out at the pool since we spent time at the beach and a less crowded but popular beach bar that was about a 10 minute walk further. We walked through the pool area so we did get a good look at it and it's really nice. The beach there is also stocked with plenty of loungers under palm trees and there is no charge to use those if you prefer the beach.

As for snorkeling, we didn't get the opportunity. I read another thread on here before our cruise that mentioned there was good snorkeling on your own from the beach just around the "point". The "point" is to the right if you're looking at Grand Turk from the ship. It was cloudy and windy the day we were there so the water was a little choppy and we didn't think we'd see much, so we just enjoyed the beach in that area for a while before heading back to the cruise center and the other bar. There are also snorkeling excursions offered that you can either book through Carnival or on your own. I don't have any input on those so hopefully someone will offer some information. We really liked Grand Turk and enjoyed our day there. The water is beautiful and very clear.

There is a 7,000 ft drop off area which is popular to snorkel at. Some local companies but you need to pre-book. This may be one place that I book a ships excursion. When we were there, we just enjoyed the beach between the Local Village bar (which is no longer there, but a new place is) and Jacks Shack. Enjoy your visit.

There is a 7,000 ft drop off area which is popular to snorkel at. Some local companies but you need to pre-book. This may be one place that I book a ships excursion. When we were there, we just enjoyed the beach between the Local Village bar (which is no longer there, but a new place is) and Jacks Shack. Enjoy your visit.

What's the name of the new place where Local Village Bar once was?

LuLu

~~~~