Snorkeling in Papagayo Costa Rica vs Montego Bay Jamaica

firstalaskatrip

Hello. I am considering a trip to the Papagayo area of Costa Rica or Montego Bay area of Jamaica (specifically Hilton Papagayo or Hilton Rose Hall Jamaica - using hilton points for the stay). I'm wondering if anyone has experience snorkeling in either of these locations. If so, what did you see and is one area better than the other?

We snorkeled in Papagayo and I was unimpressed. Pacific Ocean snorkeling is not the same as snorkeling in the Caribbean, firstly because there are rocks not coral. Those on the boat with us who went diving had a much better time. Personally I would choose the Caribbean for snorkeling if that is your main interest.

quote from Frommers:

Snorkeling is not incredibly common or rewarding in Costa Rica. The rain, runoff, and wave conditions that drive scuba divers well offshore tend to make coastal and shallow-water conditions less than optimal. If the weather is calm and the water is clear, you might just get lucky. Ask at your hotel or check the different beach listings in this guide to find snorkeling options and operators up and down Costa Rica's coasts. The best snorkeling experience to be had in Costa Rica is on the reefs off Manzanillo Beach in the southern Caribbean coast, particularly in the calm months of September and October.

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/costa-rica/733143#ixzz2q92RTCiM

Edited by MJC
typo