Opinions on the Disney magic

catb0402

Me, too. We can't decide between the 7day Western or Eastern cruise. DH and I honeymooned in the Caymans and want to take our kids back there. We like the itinerary better on the Western cruise. But I think we'd prefer the Fantasy. This will be once in a lifetime trip for us and we only get one shot at this. I've done the itinerary on the Eastern cruise before in my travels and have no desire to go back to those particular islands.

I'll be watching this to see what people say. For us it's "The Magic" vs "The Itinerary."

Thanks,

Kim

We are looking at booking the 7night cruise on the disney magic.after reading the reviews we are a bit unsure now. Can I have people's opinion on it please x
Edited by kgreenaz

We have read the food was terrible and that the pool area is over crowded and far to small x

Well, food onboard any cruiseline isn't typically the highest quality. We've always found the food onboard to be good. Now, I'm sure our palates are not food critic ready, but I've only had one meal in all my cruises that I didn't like. Not because it wasn't good, but that it just wasn't to my taste.

The complaint about the pools being too small and overcrowded really (for DCL) seems to apply more to the Dream class ships, not the classics. The actual pool size on the Wonder/Magic, I believe, is larger than the ones on the Dream/Fantasy. And, since the Dream class carries more guests, that really does cause problems with overcrowding.

Plus, on the Dream class the family pool and the kids pool are in the same location = more people in one spot. On the Magic class, the pools are each in their own location, separated by the stacks and food service locations.

Remember, on a sea day you're going to have 2,000 of your new BFFs trying to use the pool, just like you. There's really not many other places to go.

We sailed on the Magic before her re-imagining and absolutely fell in love with the ship as well as cruising. We've also sailed on the Wonder (sister ship) and thought she was great. I would have no qualms about going on the Magic (or any other Disney ship).

I spent 25 consecutive days on the Magic last summer. That was before the amazing dry dock.

The food on DCL is nothing to write home about. It used to be a lot better. However, there are good selections at each meal. The adult dining is very good; the MDRs are OK. The food is the same on all DCL ships though. Celebrity has much better food, but DCL has better service.

Yes, the pools are crowded...but the pools are crowded on every cruise ship I've ever seen. DCL does a good job of having activities all over the ship on sea days, but there are definitely too many warm bodies for the amount of water. If you want a great swim vacation, don't take any cruise that I've ever seen.

We've been on the Magic several times before the recent dry dock, and we were on the Fantasy in November. Personally I prefer the Magic because it carries fewer people and seemed less crowded to me in most areas of the ship. I wouldn't hesitate to cruise on any Disney ship though. They are all wonderful.

Food is a very personal subject. My husband thought Disney had much better food than Celebrity. If somebody else is cooking it and serving it to me I'm happy. There are several choices in the MDR and you can always check the menu outside the dining room during the day & decide if you'd like to eat somewhere else or have room service.

We booked another 3-day on the Magic at the end of February--can't wait!

Just off the Magic. I cruise a lot with the family and I have to say that it was just ok. There are some nice parts of the ship in the renovation, but it' still an old ship with low ceilings. Definitely the exact opposite of the new big ships.

Shows were good, but really other activities were not existent besides BINGO, movies, and pirate night.

I wouldn't spend the $$ for this ship. I kept saying to my wife that I don't think I could spend a week on this ship, just not enough to do.

In 3 days, we exhausted all the activities and on a cruise ship that should be pretty hard to do.

Just my two cents.

We sailed the magic for 8 nights in march with five of those being sea days and two being port days. I will say she is a beautiful and well maintained ship but definitely has a smaller feel. The cabins are slightly worn feeling (this was before dry deck). Five sea days was a bit painful with two very young children but if it was a typical 7 night cruise with three ports and three sea days, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Incidentally, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. While we're not "foodies," this was our 7th cruise and probably one of the better ships we've sailed food wise.

I've done two cruises on the Wonder and have just made reservations for a 7 night cruise on the Magic. I must say that I love, absolutely love, the Wonder and since the Magic is a sistership I'm looking forward to the experience. I always get an outside room with verandah and to me there is nothing more relaxing than sitting out there, reading and watching the sea.

As far as food goes, FANTASTIC! I'm not a foodie but I have eaten in some very high end places and the food on the Wonder can definitely hold its own. The staff even did some special dishes for my daughter. It was her first cruise and she wanted, jokingly, chocolate covered strawberries. The next night the chef personally came out with a huge plate of strawberries for her and her friends (no, dad didn't get any). That's service!

The pools are a bit crowded but c'mon, there are 2400 passengers on board. I never had a problem finding some water to be in.

I highly recommend Disney cruises and can't wait until the next one.

We have read the food was terrible and that the pool area is over crowded and far to small x

We are doing our fifth Magic cruise this year, and all our prior cruises were pre-refurbishment.

We love the Magic, and whenever she goes somewhere that we find new and interesting, we'll try to be there with her.

As an older ship, Magic is not going to compete with Allure and Breakaway, and is not trying to. We have found that the over all quality of food, service and entertainment is excellent. We've been on 12 day cruises on Magic and never felt bored, or over taxed. It seems just right.

As a smaller ship, it's more intimate, you'll get to know guests and castmembers, and you'll dock in many ports larger ships will tender to. And finally, you'll get to re-live some childhood memories.

Paul