Ode to the Emperors 8th May

Call me Dave

Hi Can anyone out there tell me what currency we will need on this cruise. It goes to China, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, and Thailand. Will we get by with $ US or will we need to get local currency for drinks, guides, taxies etc etc? Sorry should be 8th March!!

Edited by Call me Dave
Wrong date

Hi Can anyone out there tell me what currency we will need on this cruise. It goes to China, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, and Thailand. Will we get by with $ US or will we need to get local currency for drinks, guides, taxies etc etc? Sorry should be 8th March!!

We managed with a few US dollars in China as we were on a land tour all inclusive after a cruise so not sure; Japan is unique in that the only ATM's we could use were at a Post Office and we did need Yen in Japan, no idea on Taiwan, Hong Kong use Hong Kong dollars easily obtained from ATM's everywhere, and Vietnam is good with dollars and Thailand worked with dollars as well.

We have found the best way is to get local currency in the appropriate country using our ATM card or paying with one of our credit cards without foreign transaction fees. Not sure if it because we are with a credit union but, have NEVER been charged fees to get local currency out of ATM's and you always get the best rate from an ATM. You can pay up to 20% exchange fees using your local bank and even worse with hotels and money changers in many foreign countries. Can't say enough how easy and getting the best exchange rate using ATM's is outside the US including Canada and Mexico.