What to pack for May

beasooner

Instead of jeans, I wore ski pants for our May Alaska cruise. They are warm and waterproof. Seems like there is water on every seat in Alaska. :)

I would sweat to death in ski pants if the temp was anything over about 40. :eek: I suppose people from hot climates might be more comfortable in them... but they are also less likely to own them in the first place.

Look at where people are from in judging their reply relative to your experience.

Coming from Minnesota I can tell you the "feel" of the weather is really relative to what you are used to. In the fall 50° feels cold - people are wearing long sleeves here - in the spring after we have had -50° windchills - 50° feels warm - people are wearing shorts!

So if you are coming from a warm climate and warm spring the same temperature will feel colder to you than to someone who just got through a cold winter.

This is such a good point. We are planning for our Alaska cruise in late May/early June and will be traveling with good friends. We live in Minnesota, they live in the very southern part of Illinois. I find myself getting caught up in my friend's excitement wanting to shop for all kinds of special winter clothing and then I stop and think, "I don't wear that type of clothing in the dead of winter, why do I need it for summer in Alaska?"

I did purchase a Northface waterproof jacket last fall on clearance and think that will be my most useful item I take.

It is sunny and 39 degrees right now and after blizzard conditions yesterday people are acting like this is summertime! We have to enjoy it when we get it however...temps tomorrow are predicted to be -14 degrees. ;)

I would sweat to death in ski pants if the temp was anything over about 40. :eek: I suppose people from hot climates might be more comfortable in them... but they are also less likely to own them in the first place.

I actually own 3 pairs of ski pants. I like to wear them with t-shirts during the colder months in Texas (sometimes it gets into the 30s). I found them perfect for not only our Alaska trip, but also our fall New England trip. Remember, it gets cold out on the water, especially if you do any water excursions or are up on deck watching for whales. The waterproof properties really help you stay dry.

I picked up my pairs from Academy when they were having their winter clearance. I think I got them for 70% off. I was thinking that I would only use them for our upcoming Alaska trip, but I find them nice and cozy during the winter. One of my pairs actually has zippers along the inseam that allow air flow when it gets warmer.

Heck - 40 degrees means we can go outside with just a sweater on - no jackets!

I can't imagine wearing ski pants in the summer in Alaska.

You will want to go back to Alaska ... we are returning in 2015 & heading farther up this time! Woo Hoo! Please get the waterproof pants, jacket, gloves & don't forget earmuffs - we went in the end of June but used most of these items for our excursions. We didn't bother with an umbrella for excursions because we had binoculars & two cameras (and a small towel in a waterproof backpack with zip-lock bags). We always brought water to share, even if guides said they would have & the day we forgot our hats, the guide had them. Sox that dry easily - cuddle duds (easy dry long undies)... kleenex was a must.

We didn't bring boots but had really great hiking shoes from LL Bean - and that's where we bought our pants, jackets & gloves. We bought NCL sweatshirts (on sale) when we boarded so we didn't have to bring them along. Will do the same for the next Alaska tour... most of all ... have fun & you can search for my site and photos. It was a blast! Hugs & more from another NCL happy face! :D