Just back from Carnival Legend...

Jen&Bill5104

Hi! We just returned from our first cruise on Carnival. DH and I traveled with my parents who have cruised Royal Caribbean, my sister who has cruised Royal as well, my brother who has cruised Celebrity and my grandmother-also a first timer.I have to comment that yes, the list we experienced was very scary. I am not sure which was worse, the list, or the aftermath of broken glass, flooded dining areas, injured passengers, passengers with life vests on during dinner-:eek:. It was a scary experience and unlike some others, it did effect my opinions about cruising again in addition to our other experiences this past week....

Pros:

-Good buffet for breakfast and lunch on the lido deck. Lots of variety!

-Very attentive cabin steward

-Lots of lounges and places to sit down and relax

-Billie's Bar was fun-piano man is great!!

-Adult only pool area

-Good shows

-Great midnight gala buffet-really enjoyed this!

Cons:

-The decor is just not attractive. What's with the urns everywhere? And how about a little color?? I thought this was supposed to be a fun ship.:confused:

-The rooms just didnt feel clean when we arrived. The balcony was filthy, the carpet was stained, and there were ridiculous amounts of hairs on the dryer and in the bathroom. My parents room on a different floor was in the same condition.

-Obviously, the list was a con for us as my mom was injured and we didnt buy the computer glitch as reason for us tipping.

-Food is the dining room was average with the exception of one night when I had filet mignon. Otherwise-it was nothing special. We always laughed because the food tasted like something we could get anywhere, they just dress it up with dressings, garnishes and other items.

-Dining room waiters-friendly but again, nothing special. After friends and family told me how fun and entertaining they can be, I was disappointed as were my family.

-Bar service in the dining room was horrible every night. We were often halfway done with our meals before drinks even came. I must say though they were always polite and apologetic but clearly there arent enough people doing this job in the dining room.

-Our toilet broke twice during the week and was fixed both times within a few hours. My parents toilet broke once and it took a whole day to fix though they called numerous times. My sisters' toilet also broke but 3 times. Come on now...we had 4 rooms between 2 different floors...whats with the toilets?

-On the last night, our cabin keys suddenly didnt work and we had to go back downstairs at 1am and wait in a line of those settling up their bills to get new cards. That took 40 minutes because people were complaining and wanted money taken off. We tried to get assitance from somewhere else and we were told they were the only ones who could help us. We finally got to our room at almost 2am.

Miscellaneous:

Sailing out of NY was not the chaos this message board prepared me for. We thought it was quick, efficient and we were on the boat to set sail on July 8th at 1pm. Today, we carried off our luggage and were off the boat at 9:45am.

Well, the cons are longer than the pros but this was just our experience on the Carnival Legend. If I can help with any questions, feel free. :)

Oh-btw, we also visited the following ports-

San Juan-never again. It was not worth getting off the ship for.

St Thomas-amazing, went snorkeling and to the beach. Wonderful!!!

Tortola-gorgeous!! Went to swim with dolphins and had a great time!! Beautiful and relaxing!! Only there from 7am-2pm, back on boat by 1:30 so its a short day.

I was there too, Jen! Your report of the trip sounds like mine!

I agree with everything you say. We did all the same tours also. We did the snokeling in St John in the morning at Trunk Bay and beach at St Thomas in the afternoon. We also swam with the dolphins, Royal Swim. We were with 10 people, three cabins all on deck 8, aft.

Yes, the 'listing glitch' affected us very much. My mom was hurt also. She was in the infimrary for hours and xrays done. Thank goodness nothing more than stiff neck, headache, bloody lip and bruised knee. We will not be cruising again any time soon.

Felicia

Hmmm, if you got into a car accident would you stop driving then too?

What if you hit some bad turbulence while flying, would you stop flying?

Excellent analogies:rolleyes: .....

I can't speak for the above cruisers, but if I was injured with cuts, bruised and bloodied on a cruiseship, yeah, it likely would not be my first choice for my next VACATION (not to be confused with riding in a car, which is pretty much a necessity of daily life).

Excellent analogies:rolleyes: .....

I can't speak for the above cruisers, but if I was injured with cuts, bruised and bloodied on a cruiseship, yeah, it likely would not be my first choice for my next VACATION (not to be confused with riding in a car, which is pretty much a necessity of daily life).

You could be in a car or a plane going on vacation.

Anyhow, since you insist, I'll make some direct vacation related analogies.

If you went on vacation to FL, went swimming in the ocean and saw a shark or got stung by a sting ray, would you stop going to the ocean?

If you went to Vail for a ski vacation and broke your leg in a ski accident, or got stuck on a chair lift that broke down, would you stop skiing?

My point was that although it was an unfortunate incident, it was a rare incident and shouldn't be something to keep people from cruising in the future.

Just wanted to add that though I did briefly post the list during our trip might play into my choice for future vacation, the point of my post was a review of my entire cruise on Carnival Legend-not just the slight tipping of the ship.

Hmmm, if you got into a car accident would you stop driving then too?

What if you hit some bad turbulence while flying, would you stop flying?

Imho, I dont agree that these are good analogies. Driving a car and flying to a destintation are not the same thing. These actions are just means of travel to get to your vacation. A cruise is supposed to be part of the vacation itself. So a ship tipping causing chaos among passengers seems like a just reason to "choose" not to cruise again. Btw, I only said the list effected my opinions about cruising again but that is combined with all the other cons we experienced.

Imho, I dont agree that these are good analogies. Driving a car and flying to a destintation are not the same thing. These actions are just means of travel to get to your vacation. A cruise is supposed to be part of the vacation itself. So a ship tipping causing chaos among passengers seems like a just reason to "choose" not to cruise again. Btw, I only said the list effected my opinions about cruising again but that is combined with all the other cons we experienced.

Jennifer,

My post wasn't directed at you per se, there were a number of people who were on your cruise that talked about it tipping. I was making a general statement. You'll note that I made direct vacation analogies after the car and plane analogy. ;)

Please don't let this incident discourage your family from cruising again in the future. You could try a different cruise line to see if they overcome your other cons.

I just posted my experience on the board "tipped to port side".

I was on July 18, 2004 sailing and we listed because a wave hit us broadside. Same experience as you, only we listed even more and had stormy seas for 2 days. Then a man had a heart attack and we had to divert to Bermuda. I heard he is just fine today because of the fast medical attention he was given. Im happy about that

Im leaving next Sunday on the Legend again. I didnt let an incident like that stop me from cruising. Its not something that is common. Unfortunately, the odds of that happening to us did. I hedging my bet it wont happen to me again. If it does, Ill play the lottery, lol.

I just saw that the Legend pulling out of port on the port cam. Next time shes in, Ill be on her. Pray for good weather and no listing for me. :D

http://home.att.net/~PIED-PIPER-TRAVEL/Webcam.html

we too just returned from the legend. the tilt was scarry. everything in the bathroom went into the shower. everything else was ok though. we did not leave our cabin to see the damage until later. waiter said they had to delay dinner because at least 1000 glasses had broken in the dining room. the ships decor was as i had read a little ugly. not cheerful at all. victory was beautiful. we had no problems boarding. puerto rico was smelly very musty smell coming from the stores. some seemed to try t cover smell with insence. St Thomas was really nice. picked up a tour of shore 20 dollars each. just us and one other couple. very nice. tortola was HOT. not much to see. went back to cabin for drinks. I wanted a vacation where I could just sit and relax and I sure did that. plan to cruise again next year.

victory july 8 2003

victory july 2 2004

victory july 7 2004

legend july 8 2005

Archived