? travel with unrelated minor (age 18)

I have three children and would like to bring one more.

Can I book the friend in a room with my daughter (would be two 18 year olds in the room, only)

I would like to do three rooms, putting the children in rooms of their own.

Do we just need a notarized letter from her parents granting her permission to travel with us? Presented at boarding?

Tips or suggestions, anyone?

She's 18, so technically an adult. You won't need a notarized letter from her parents. Do make sure she has proper travel documents. You can put the kids in their own rooms as long as they're all adjoining or within 2 rooms of yours. Before attempting to book, contact a GOOD travel agent or Carnival PVP (you won't be booking this one on line) to make sure things get done right so you won't have issues later with cabins being moved apart, etc.

Can I book the friend in a room with my daughter (would be two 18 year olds in the room, only)

Do we just need a notarized letter from her parents granting her permission to travel with us? Presented at boarding?

You don't need a notarized letter because she is 18 she is an Adult.

Since the 18 year old is not your child.... They must be in a room connecting to your room. Or you must list you in one room and your significant other in the other room.... Once onboard you can change back to your spouses room. Nobody checks or even cares once onboard.

The few doors away only applies of they are your kids.

Most times but not always Carnival will not let you book unrelated kids in a separate cabin.

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

Make sure you do NOT believe assurances from this girl or her family about her documentation.... birth certificate, valid State ID or passport! You need to immediately have those documents brought to you so that you can see them, hold them and verify that they are what is required.

Don't wait until just before sailing to realize there is a document problem for anyone traveling! Get everyone's together and make sure you are good and if not get things fixed and order now!

Edited by nana541

A year ago, I sailed with an 18-year old as my roommate, and I am over 25. He had just turned 18 a week earlier. No notarized letter was required at all. His brother, also 18, almost 19, was in a room with his grandmother. No notarized letter. The catch is that if they're 18 and not your child, they must be booked in a room with an adult 25 or older. You can switch around room keys at guest services once on board.

I just did this this with 2 of my sons friends. On paper we put my wife in one room with 1 non related child and me in the other room with second child. once on board make the switch and have more keys made, easy peasy .

Ditto, we have also done this with DD friend. As previous posters have stated, you do NOT need a notorized letter. At 18, they are an adult.

even though many people are stating that you dont need a letter at 18, they might be incorrect.

here is a post from carnival that helps explain it

http://m.carnival.com/Funville/forums/p/225832/1235450.aspx

Here is the FAQ for a minor not traveling with parents

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/ukfaqs/archive/2010/04/08/how-old-do-you-have-to-be-to-travel-alone.aspx

Guests Under the Age of 21 NOT Traveling with Parents / Grandparents

The minor must travel with a guardian 25 years of age or older in the same stateroom. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

• Legally married couples and same gender union couples less than 21 years of age must provide Carnival with legal proof of marriage/civil union at least two weeks prior to sailing.

• Documentation can be e-mailed to individualsailingsupport@carnival.com or faxed to 305-406-6479.

• For those guests whose marriage/civil union will not take place until closer to the sailing date, they must bring proof of their marriage/civil union to embarkation. Failure to do so will result in denied boarding and no refund.

• Documentation: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

Infants must be at least six months old (twelve months for Transatlantic, Hawaii and South America cruises) to be eligible to travel.

Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will be denied boarding and assessed a 100% cancellation penalty. NO exceptions will be made at embarkation.

Please note that adult guests are responsible for the safety and behavior of their minor guests. Our Camp Carnival®, Circle "C" and Club O2 programs features supervised activities for children 2-17.

Spa Carnival and fitness center: Guests under 12 years of age are not permitted in these facilities. Guests between the ages of 12 and 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.

All guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo I.D. When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

Air Travel / Hotel Stay - Guests under the age of 21, staying at any hotel in conjunction with Carnival’s Fly Aweigh® program, may be required to be accompanied by a guest 21 years or older in the same room as per each hotel’s policy. Permission for minor guests to fly unaccompanied is determined by the airlines as per each airline’s policy. We suggest you check with your scheduled airline for their requirements. Carnival assumes no responsibility for guests under the age of 21 traveling unaccompanied by air.

Being that this section was for people under 21, that would mean people 18, 19 and 20 have to get the letter as well

Edited by hftmrock

even though many people are stating that you dont need a letter at 18, they might be incorrect.

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/ukfaqs/archive/2010/04/08/how-old-do-you-have-to-be-to-travel-alone.aspx

The minor must travel with a guardian 25 years of age or older in the same stateroom. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

• Legally married couples and same gender union couples less than 21 years of age must provide Carnival with legal proof of marriage/civil union at least two weeks prior to sailing.

• Documentation can be e-mailed to individualsailingsupport@carnival.com or faxed to 305-406-6479.

• For those guests whose marriage/civil union will not take place until closer to the sailing date, they must bring proof of their marriage/civil union to embarkation. Failure to do so will result in denied boarding and no refund.

• Documentation: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

Infants must be at least six months old (twelve months for Transatlantic, Hawaii and South America cruises) to be eligible to travel.

Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will be denied boarding and assessed a 100% cancellation penalty. NO exceptions will be made at embarkation.

Please note that adult guests are responsible for the safety and behavior of their minor guests. Our Camp Carnival®, Circle "C" and Club O2 programs features supervised activities for children 2-17.

Spa Carnival and fitness center: Guests under 12 years of age are not permitted in these facilities. Guests between the ages of 12 and 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.

All guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo I.D. When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

Air Travel / Hotel Stay - Guests under the age of 21, staying at any hotel in conjunction with Carnival’s Fly Aweigh® program, may be required to be accompanied by a guest 21 years or older in the same room as per each hotel’s policy. Permission for minor guests to fly unaccompanied is determined by the airlines as per each airline’s policy. We suggest you check with your scheduled airline for their requirements. Carnival assumes no responsibility for guests under the age of 21 traveling unaccompanied by air.

Being that this section was for people under 21, that would mean people 18, 19 and 20 have to get the letter as well

The highlighted paragraph, refers to guests over 16, minor refers to people under 18, a parent has no legal right to authorize anything for offspring over the age of 18.

I have first hand experience. 18 to 20 year olds do NOT need letter from "parents". Geez, they are adults. They can do everything on the ship except drink (some night clubs are 21 and over).

I have first hand experience. 18 to 20 year olds do NOT need letter from "parents". Geez, they are adults. They can do everything on the ship except drink (some night clubs are 21 and over).

99.99999% of the people with that letter do not ever need to show it so I am not sure what experience you might have.

someone with a 5 year old will probably not need to show the letter but that does not mean its not needed and might be requested

you can 'geeze' all you want. its carnivals rules. its on the website so there is no excuse if they decide to enforce it.

Right - my daughter (19) just sailed with her friend and her family last week on the Fascination and I only sent her birth certificate with her. They had no problems at all. They did have my daughter and her friend booked in a room with a cousin who was over 25.

99.99999% of the people with that letter do not ever need to show it so I am not sure what experience you might have.

someone with a 5 year old will probably not need to show the letter but that does not mean its not needed and might be requested

you can 'geeze' all you want. its carnivals rules. its on the website so there is no excuse if they decide to enforce it.

I had asked my PVP and Carnival employees at the port/checkin prior to us cruising so we would know what was needed for our DD friend. It's was not and is not needed for 18+. Have a nice day.

OP, call Carnival and ask them directly

I have heard PVPs and carnival employees give out wrong information

the information I gave is in black and white on the site

forwarned is forarmed.

it makes no difference to me at all. people can do what they please but they should not come complaining if they are asked for it...

Have a nice day to you and G-d bless :D

Edited by hftmrock

I have heard PVPs and carnival employees give out wrong information

the information I gave is in black and white on the site

forwarned is forarmed.

it makes no difference to me at all. people can do what they please but they should not come complaining if they are asked for it...

Have a nice day to you and G-d bless :D

Actually the paragraph you quoted does not say that it is "required", it states strongly recommend. It is only "required" if you are debarking in Mexico.

"When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

To the OP I would recommend getting a notarized statement from the parents giving you a medical power of attorney in case it is needed.

Actually the paragraph you quoted does not say that it is "required", it states strongly recommend. It is only "required" if you are debarking in Mexico.

"When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

To the OP I would recommend getting a notarized statement from the parents giving you a medical power of attorney in case it is needed.

agreed! :cool:

As someone who has handled many groups of HS seniors doing cruises at the end of each school year, I can safely tell you that you don't need a notarized letter. However, I DO recommend that you get the power of attorney for any medical emergencies that you hope never occur. That's just safe and smart thinking. And of course they will need their appropriate travel documentation (birth cert or passport)

Because there won't be anyone 25 or older in the cabin, you will need to be either next door or across the hall from them.

As someone who has handled many groups of HS seniors doing cruises at the end of each school year, I can safely tell you that you don't need a notarized letter. However, I DO recommend that you get the power of attorney for any medical emergencies that you hope never occur. That's just safe and smart thinking. And of course they will need their appropriate travel documentation (birth cert or passport)

Because there won't be anyone 25 or older in the cabin, you will need to be either next door or across the hall from them.

yes, I recommend you disregard the strong warning Carnival gives you in writing and listen to a CC member.. that sounds like the best plan. :rolleyes:

yes, I recommend you disregard the strong warning Carnival gives you in writing and listen to a CC member.. that sounds like the best plan. :rolleyes:

As I stated in my earlier post, the paragraph you quoted does not use the word "required" for all cruises, just those that debark (end) in Mexico. Have you had someone between 18 and 21 denied boarding or have actual experience with this being "required"?

As I stated in my earlier post, the paragraph you quoted does not use the word "required" for all cruises, just those that debark (end) in Mexico. Have you had someone between 18 and 21 denied boarding or have actual experience with this being "required"?

did you read my quote that you just quoted?

yes, I recommend you disregard the strong warning Carnival gives you in writing and listen to a CC member.. that sounds like the best plan

did you read my quote that you just quoted?

yes, I recommend you disregard the strong warning Carnival gives you in writing and listen to a CC member.. that sounds like the best plan

Yes, I read about the "strongly recommend" (not warn)and you didn't answer my question about your experience with the matter other than copying and pasting something from the website. Have you personally dealt with this matter?