2006 world cruise -- seeking advice

cmlf

We are booked on the world cruise departing from Ft. Lauderdale on 12/27. I am very interested in connecting with past world cruisers for general advice. At the moment, I'm working through the "what to pack" phase and thinking my list is very long. How much luggage is okay? Does RSSC really ship from your home to the ship? Also, we have to change cabins at the end of the Panama Canal cruise and I'm concerned about how that transition will work given that we will be spending the night in LA off the ship.

I also would like to find out what shore excursions are must dos vs. sightseeing on our own.

Would appreciate any and all assistance.

We were on the 2005 World Cruise so I will answer some of your questions. We are not going on the 2006 but are hoping to go again in 2007. Be prepared for the time of your life!

We are booked on the world cruise departing from Ft. Lauderdale on 12/27. I am very interested in connecting with past world cruisers for general advice. At the moment, I'm working through the "what to pack" phase and thinking my list is very long. We packed as if we were going on a 3 week cruise allowing for the various temperatures we'd experience. How much luggage is okay? No limit but make sure you bring an empty suitcase for purchases (you will have many). Does RSSC really ship from your home to the ship? Yes, they do it coming and going up to 70 lbs. per person or 140 per couple. It was great! Also, we have to change cabins at the end of the Panama Canal cruise and I'm concerned about how that transition will work given that we will be spending the night in LA off the ship. I heard of a few others that had to do this but there was no problems that I was aware of.

I also would like to find out what shore excursions are must dos vs. sightseeing on our own. This could take a book to write about all the excursions.

Would appreciate any and all assistance

Marcie,

Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking along the same lines for luggage. You end up laundering at home, so no difference aboard ship.

I just downloaded the '05 shore excursions and spent the afternoon reading through. Overwhelming is putting it mildly. Did you prebook any (i.e., prior to boarding)?

The fact that you're planning to go back in '07 is a testament to how good it must have been for you. I'm starting to get excited that it's really going to happen.

So much to do first.

Thanks so much. It is the overnight excursions that I have been most concerned about missing out on. If I understand correctly, they cannot be prebooked until 60 days prior to departure?

My other two areas of concern are immunizations -- did you get any? Also, the insurance. As you say, the cruise is a lot of money, but paying as much as someone would pay for a 7-10 day regular cruise for trip protection is a difficult one to swallow. I know it's necessary, but... I need to make the final decision in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the link to your journal. I will read today!

MAJOR CORRECTION! Thanks to my girlfriend Elaine I realized I accidently told you the total weight is 70 lbs. per person. NOT SO. I should have said that the total is 135 lbs. per person or 270 per couple. This makes a big difference! So sorry about that!

Marcie,

I like that weight much better!

I had to log on just to tell you about my day's experience with your journal. I had decided this morning to treat each segment like a piece of wonderful chocolate - read one per day to prolong the pleasure. I also had some serious paperwork to do this afternoon.

I'm sorry to say I have no willpower - I just finished reading every page! What a wonderful travelog. I learned so much and now truly feel very excited to go. We, too, are going on the SKI plan, and I think I was feeling a tad guilty, but no more. I have been planning to keep an internet log, too, for our family and friends. I can see that those who will read it will get lots of enjoyment from it as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.

first cmlf do you have a link to the World Cruise shore excursions PDF, I would enjoy reading it. Thanks in advance.

We were on the 2005 World Cruise so I will answer some of your questions. We are not going on the 2006 but are hoping to go again in 2007. Be prepared for the time of your life!

i did not know you had an online journal. :(. Maybe this is covered there, but on Grumpy and Slinkies WC this year on HAL one of the many "pillow" gifts was a Ballistic Nylon wheeled duffle bag for each of them. That helped with their packing to get off at the end.

FYI for those that did not read Grumpy's thread their "pillow gifts" from HAL. Marcie, I do not know if you listed yours. But after looking at Grumpy's list, there are a couple items I would not take on a World Cruise because HAL (IN THIS CASE) would be giving out them during the cruise. ie the two wheeled duffle bags.

Holland America white canvas shopping bag

Blue Nylon zippered shoulder bag

Leather day planner/calender

Leather credit card wallet

Leather document wallet

Leather key wallet

Leather luggage tags

Luggage straps

House slippers

dual time zone alarm clock

designer coffee mug

Rectangular ceramic tray with map of voyage on it

6x6 framed tile with a map of each segment (4 total)

4inch Prinsendam tile

Ballistic Nylon wheeled duffle bag

Faces of Africa coffee table book

Blue Nylon hooded jacket

Folding cane/monopod seat with zipper case

ceramic elephant with 50gm tea from Sri Lanka

stuffed lion about the size of a beanie baby

magnifying glass in a slide in case

long shoe horn

gold medallion in a wooden chest (only for full voyage after dinner with captain)

Chocolate Heart box with truffles inside for Valentines day

Chocolate basket with chocolate eggs for easter

For all on the forum, I have collected all of Grumpy's post made during his and Slinkies 2005 World Cruise. And a lot of port overlap the Voyager's 2006 cruise. Grumpy has given me permission to send it to anybody that wants it. The PDF is 204 pages and 3.5 meg in size. It is formatted to read on a puter. The Word doc is half the size and you can change the font size if you plan to print it out as a number of people have.

To request their WC email me at bsterner@techsafari.com

cmlf,

There were really NOT many things that we regretted taking. There are some things I was so glad we brought and everyone should bring:

a large poster size world map (we used 2 sided tape and hung it over a huge photo that hung at the foot of our bed and it was so fun tracking where we'd been and where we were heading! We hit small islands that weren't even on a map)

Misc. things like scissors, scotch tape, paper clips, a felt tip pen, rubber bands. You wouldn't believe how often we used these little things.

our own CDs to play music in the cabin. There was also a DVD player but we just watched movies that we could check out from the ship. There are also quite a few current movies playing at any one time on the Direct PayTV channels (but you don't pay, it's free)

CDs to download photos as you go. We brought our laptop and used it most days in our cabin for emails, paying bills on line, downloading photos etc..

If you're use to using fabric softening sheets, bring your own. Radisson supplies all the soap for the free washers & dryers but not the "Bounce" type sheets.

I brought photos of our kids and pets making our cabin seem so homey!

a couple of reminders: don't forget to file an extension with the IRS (or state if needed) because you won't be home come tax time. Also, set everything up so all your monthly bills are automatically debited from your checking or that you can pay bills on line. We used our ATM for 100% of the cash we needed along the way and it offers the best exchange rate. (didn't bring any traveller's checks as they're almost becoming a thing of the past). I'd suggest bringing a couple of your ATM cards just in case one gets de-magnitized or eaten in the machine. (we had 4 all linked to the same checking account but never needed the others). For larger purchases we used our AmEx 99% of the time but there were a couple of remote places where they didn't take AmEx so we were happy we had a Mastercard with us as well. In my case I also left authroization & credit card info with our Vet incase there were any emergencies with our pets, luckily not needed but it gave me peace of mind (our 24 year old daughter stayed at our home but I didn't want to put her with a financial burden in case of emergency)

I'm sure there's lots more that I can't think of right now.

As for gifts.....yes, Radisson will shower you with gifts (again bring a large empty suitcase) The gifts will begin before you even leave home. One of my favorites arrived about 10 days before we left. A beautiful engraved Brass Bell in a gorgeous mahogany box:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/marciematassa/radissonbrassbell-1.jpg

We also received a Tiffany lamp upon our return:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/marciematassa/Tiffanylight-1.jpg

Along the way you'll receive some wonderful "pillow gifts". I hate to tell you what many are because I want you to experience the same surprises we did. It was also so nice having all the drinks & liquor all inclusive (24/7), gratuities all covered and so many wonderful REALLY NICE complimentary excursions in the ports.

You will not WANT for anything...

cmlf,

To Marcie'Marcie's list one item to add is zip-lock bags. They fit in your pocket and if you get caught in the rain, pop one out and put your camera in it.

I have an excel spreadsheet I use for planing and packing. OK I am a puter geek. But I found it very helpful in for my last cruise. For example, reading glasses, when I add that to a list with a quality, it is something to look at and say Mmmm 110 days and how many backups do I need. When you list items and qualities, it is something to go back and look at from time to time and adjust as you think about it. And then when it is time to pack, I printed out my list and checked things off as I packed. Worked very well.

One nice thing about a computer list of things is as you read something about like the office supplies Marcie listed you can add it to the list and it will be there to remind you at a later date. :rolleyes:

If you bring a laptop do not make the only big mistake I did on the Mariner and not bring a Flash memory drive.

5753035_sc.jpg

They start at around $19 now and plug into your laptop's USB port. On the Mariner in Feb all you could use for email was the ship's PCs. With a flash memory drive you could write your longer emails on your laptop and store them on the flash drive, carry the flash drive to the ships PC (if you have too) and cut and paste from the file on the flash drive into the email program.

for myself, I love audiobooks, and have a collection of over 250 of them. I took a couple on my Mariner cruise in my iPod. There is something wonderful about sitting on the balcony and listening to a good audiobook as the world goes by. But that may be only me :p Enough forums for now,,,, I am 10 hours into a 20 hour audiobook of the latest Harry Potter. :)

To add to Marcie's list:

The walls of the cabin are metal so bringing magnets and magnetic picture frames help keep the flat surfaces clear.

Also, the color grabber sheets are useful for laundry as well

I like the idea of the large map - thanks Marcie!

You'll have a great trip!

Peggy

Thank you Marcie, Blackbird71 and xrvlcruise for your great ideas. There is so much to think about and plan for.

Marcie, I appreciate your addressing the money side. I didn't want to ask, but I really wasn't sure what the best way to handle bills, IRS were. I actually didn't think we could bring our laptop, so that's a huge thing as it's attached to my husband's fingers most of the time! Using debit, AX and MC sounds like a very good plan.

Could you give me your thoughts on trip protection insurance? After I read about Betty's experience, I guess we have no choice.

How "gala" was the kick-off party in LA? Was it all tuxes and long dresses?

Blackbird71, I had started my spreadsheet on Sunday! I think that's a must do with so many various items. Hadn't thought about "qualitizing" it.

Has anyone had to deal with meds? I believe the longest a perscription can be filled is three months, so we would be without for a month which doesn't work.

Thanks all!

Within the next couple years I will be doing a WC. I have added a column to my normal 14 day spreadsheet for a WC. There are some items that I would only bring on a WC. For example, while I love my Powerbook, I hate it's keyboard so for a WC I would pack my normal Apple keyboard I use with it.

Below is an example of my spreadsheet. I am a single male.

sp.jpg

IMHO, one of the best things you are doing is the PC pre-WC cruise. After 14 days on the Voyager, you have a day in San Diego or LA to go shopping for things that you may have forgotten. Also there are what I call throw away items I would bring only for a WC. And example here is a $99 office chair still in it's box, that I would buy just before getting on the ship. The straight chair on all ships just does not hack it for sitting long periods working on a puter. The first column is for marking those things I would buy at the port and not carry on an airplane with me like the chair.

WOW Blackbird71, I must say you are much more organized than I could ever be. I wish you'd been in my home a couple of weeks before we left. I could have sure used your help!! I did make a hand-written list and as I would think of things I'd go throw it on the guest bed (it was getting pretty buried!).

One thing I thought of for future WCers is the shoe situation in the Voyager walk-in closets. The shoes will not be visible because the hanging clothes on the lower rack cover them. I brought a cheap Walmart type hanging shoe bag that held quite a few pairs of shoes. I was soooooo happy I did this! Between my husband and myself we brought approximately 18 pairs of shoes. On top of this I bought about 5 more in China (knock off Gucci & Louis Vuittons for about $8 each). If not for the help of the shoe bag we would not have been able to walk in the closet without tripping over shoes. I think everyone should put a shoe bag on their list too if they're planning to bring more than about 5 pairs of shoes!

My good friend had a shoe bag that she hung over the back side of the bathroom door and used the compartments for her hair brushes, cosmetics etc. and loved it. The only bad thing about that is that you lose the use of the 2 hooks where we always kept our bathrobes hanging so that's the trade off.

WOW Blackbird71, I must say you are much more organized than I could ever be.

Some people call me a little AR :p. But seriously, once you have a 12 dayer speadsheet, with minor (weaather) changes you can use from cruise to cruise. Besides weather, there are minor changes based on cruise line. RSSC has great Shower Gel, but Holland-American does not provide any, so for a HAL cruise I have to bring my own. The other side of that is there is very little drugs in the shop on RSSC ships but a lot more on HAL, so I list more drugs for RSSC than HAL.

But you talking about shoe reminds me of the pop-open laundry baskets that you can get a Walgreens for $2.50. I brought one for my Mariner cruise and when brought it is very small, but once opened it is a reasonable size and has nice handles for carrying. I left mine on the Mariner.

213248.jpg

Also I did not buy it and wished I did, from http://www.magellans.com/

tl472_dt.jpg

This is great for doing up things in the sink.

That laundry basket would be a good thing on most longer cruises. On the 2005 WC, we were all given a laundry duffle bag (bright purple) so there would be no need for a basket. Not sure if this will be same for 2006?? It actually came from International Port Service (IPS) the company that transported our luggage from home to ship and back home again.

I was very pleased with all the bath products (Aveda) on the Voyager.

My good friend had a shoe bag that she hung over the back side of the bathroom door and used the compartments for her hair brushes, cosmetics etc. and loved it. The only bad thing about that is that you lose the use of the 2 hooks where we always kept our bathrobes hanging so that's the trade off.

I am the good friend Marice is talking about - I hung my Martha Stewart clear plastic shoebag (K-Mart, of course) on the outside of our bathroom door - I used it for cosmetics, meds, jewelry (costume) and never had to worry about taking up counter space in bathroom - I would never go on a trip without one - I leave them for cabin gals when I get off ship - Joanna

Well, as you already know I'm now the queen of cruise insurance!! I admit we had the same reservations about buying insurance -- it seemed SO expensive and we certainly had no intention of using it. We'd never needed it before! But we figured with the length of the trip and the investment involved, it would be a good idea. The rest is history.

I must say that the insurance worked out beautifully. I remember while still in the hospital on the ship telling my husband that the real fun would begin when we started dealing with the insurance. Not true. We didn't get everything settled until May, but they were great. And an advantage we hadn't even considered was they arranged and paid upfront for all the medevac -- both Nuka Hiva to Tahiti and Tahiti back home to Seattle. I've no clue how much those were, and probably don't want to know. All the other costs -- cruise fare, Al's hotel in Tahiti etc. were also paid without problem.

We did not buy the Radisson insurance because we're too cheap. Instead I went to insuremytrip.com and bought insurance for half the price from CSA. I'd use them again in an instant if they'd ever agree to insure me again!

I hope this somewhat addresses your insurance question. I hope you never need to use it, but we'd not be able to be planning to do the WC in 2007 if we hadn't had it!

Betty

Betty,

Thank you so much for responding to my concerns about insurance. I hope you are feeling well now. I couldn't believe you actually went back out there to finish the trip! That was wonderful.

When I read Marcie's log, I was stunned to hear what happened to you and knew I had no choice but to purchase some form of insurance. I, too, have decided against Radisson's. I looked at the CSA coverage and I thought there was a fairly low cap on their coverage; i.e., they wouldn't cover the cost of the entire trip if it were cancelled. I'll go back and look at it again. Right now, we have an application through our TA with TravelGuard which is approx. 80% the cost of Radisson's.

Please stay well and maybe we'll be joining you in '07!

cmlf,

My husband and I are booked on the same cruise as you. We deposited in January and bought CSA Trip Insurance then as well. You can use http://www.insuremytrip.com as Betty recommended by just entering $100,000 as the combined trip amount and then compare policies available to you. When you have chosen the policy that best meets your needs you will have to call the 800 number on the website to purchase at the full amount of the trip. We did this and it took about a day of back and forth between us and insuremytrip and CSA but we did get the policy we wanted for the full amount of the trip. We were told by insuremytrip that this is fairly common. (Of course, now that we are getting quotes on the non-refundable after boarding, pre-bookable overnight excursions, it looks like we will need to try to up the limit on the policy by about another $10,000! Again, not the kind of money you want to have at risk! Insuremytrip and CSA told us when we purchased the policy in January that it would be possible to do this if necessary, so I guess we will need to look into it in a few months!) I know that Marcie did not insure at all, and Betty had CSA and did purchase online, but I think what happened is that this year's cruise increased in price by about 14.5% and that put it over the $100,000 limit on almost all policies sold online by insuremytrip. Also, they both boarded in Los Angeles and not in Ft. Lauderdale, so the total trip price was reduced by the cost of that segment as well. Not to worry, our experience was that if you find a policy that you want just call and ask for it in the amount you need and you can be accomodated. Good luck, Debbie

Betty,

Glad to hear that you got all the insurance issues settled by May. That actually seems really quick since you did not finish World Cruising until the end of April! I am impressed. I know that you were worried about it and I'm very happy to hear that everything went so smoothly. Did CSA pay everything, or did you use the Platinum AMEX medevac? Great to hear that you are better and still thinking of completing your World Cruise experience in 2007.

Debbie

The only part the AmEx medevac covered was Al's helicopter fare to the airport in Nuka Hiva. AmEx considered CSA 'primary' but CSA would not cover that part for him -- just that was over $800.

And you're right -- last year our total fare was still under the 100K so I could do the whole thing online with insuremytrip.

Betty

• 2 weeks later...

Archived