THE MA'AMs SWEET JEWEL SUITE review and pictoral

Planmaam

OMG, the other two ma'ams are headed to Miami to board the Epic on Saturday, and their flight was just cancelled!!!!!!!!!

Who would have thought that a January flight from Houston to Miami would be cancelled.

They are planning to drive now; all the best to them!!!! Another example of why to plan to arrive more than the day before the cruise!

Edited by planma'am

OMG' date=' the other two ma'ams are headed to Miami to board the Epic on Saturday, and their flight was just cancelled!!!!!!!!!

Who would have thought that a January flight from Houston to Miami would be cancelled.

They are planning to drive now; all the best to them!!!! Another example of why to plan to arrive more than the day before the cruise![/quote']

How unfortunate, While still a very long drive it is still do able if it was me or even you that distance to drive would be too far to get there in time. I wish them safe driving :)

How unfortunate, While still a very long drive it is still do able if it was me or even you that distance to drive would be too far to get there in time. I wish them safe driving :)

AAAAAhhhhhh, you changed your profile picture, Lisa; I like it!

You know the funny thing, you and I could easily get a flight to Miami right now! Our airports are not affected by the weather. Ironic, don't you think? Here I've been wishing so much that I could go with them, then Medicalma'am calls me as she is leaving work in a panic telling me her flight was cancelled. They are very lucky that there is time to drive there. It will be the 4 of them tag-teaming the driving, I'm sure, but at least they have the time.

Let's all pray they get there in time, safely!

AAAAAhhhhhh' date=' you changed your profile picture, Lisa; I like it!

You know the funny thing, you and I could easily get a flight to Miami right now! Our airports are not affected by the weather. Ironic, don't you think? Here I've been wishing so much that I could go with them, then Medicalma'am calls me as she is leaving work in a panic telling me her flight was cancelled. They are very lucky that there is time to drive there. It will be the 4 of them tag-teaming the driving, I'm sure, but at least they have the time.

Let's all pray they get there in time, safely![/quote']

Thanks, Yes figured it was time to change the pic, that previous pic was at least 5 years old lol,

Yes hope they get to Miami safely. And actually they are lucky that they had this much warning it could of been this time tomorrow to find out :o But you are right those of us here on the west coast usually do not have as much problems with the flights. Texas has had a really bad winter this year which is unfortunate and actually kind of rare to have this much bad weather. I hate to even say how we have had 70+ weather next few days mid 60s then next week hitting 70 again :)

OMG, they spent hours sitting on I-10! SITTING STILL!

They are headed to Tallahassee, and on to Miami, but don't expect to get there before 10:00 a.m. tomorrow! Just in time to park and get on the ship! OMG, such a stressful day! And I'm sitting at home just waiting for updates from them!:o

Update: 56 miles to go. We are planning to park right at the port to make it easy. Lost hotel $ due to not enough warning to cancel. This has been a real adventure but we are all SO thankful that we will make it!!!

This is good news about being so close :) I am sure you will have one of the best cruises ever!!

Sitting here switching between watching the Epic bow cam and the Port of Miami webcam as the other two ma'ams and their DHs sail on out to sea. So glad they made it OK. Did you see them waving to me from Spice H2O? ;) Wish I could be with them!

Edited by planma'am

I was stunned to see how dirty [looking] the fridge doors are under the counter in the first picture. It took my attention away from the beautiful creations above. I just couldn't take my eyes off of them. I kept thinking, "I never noticed this before. Where IS the chocolate buffet? The galley!? Why is that out in the open. Surely they could have thought of a way to cover THAT!" And then I looked at the 2nd picture and saw the very clean doors and realized that the first ones must be positioned so passengers don't see. BUT, you DID see, because of your position. Amazing they don't keep everything clean, even if passengers never see...just in case of "WHAT IF".

Lol. Sorry. Just an observation.

I'm only on page 7. Great review! Thanks for sharing. Will have to check out your other reviews!!

IMG_0409_zps085b9e4e.jpg[/img]

IMG_0413_zpsa6ebbca8.jpg[/img]

I discovered that morning the NCL regular tastes most like the REAL maple syrup! What Americans have cheaply available in the stores is an imitation of the real maple syrup that is nothing like the real thing. I think most of us equate 'good' syrup with that thick fake concoction. Thus the bad reviews of the NCL syrup.

I think this is true for SO MANY things! So many people seek out the cheap and convenient things and they are usually the most unhealthy! I wish more people did cruise reviews. I think there are so many people with good experiences out there and have never heard of this site! I know I've been on 3 good cruises before and just recently found this site. Reviews are like the news, mostly bad...if people have a good experience, it's usually not shared here.

I was stunned to see how dirty [looking] the fridge doors are under the counter in the first picture. It took my attention away from the beautiful creations above. I just couldn't take my eyes off of them. I kept thinking, "I never noticed this before. Where IS the chocolate buffet? The galley!? Why is that out in the open. Surely they could have thought of a way to cover THAT!" And then I looked at the 2nd picture and saw the very clean doors and realized that the first ones must be positioned so passengers don't see. BUT, you DID see, because of your position. Amazing they don't keep everything clean, even if passengers never see...just in case of "WHAT IF".

Lol. Sorry. Just an observation.

I'm only on page 7. Great review! Thanks for sharing. Will have to check out your other reviews!!

You're welcome!

I had not noticed the cabinets below before! I'm going to have to check my original photograph. It looks like fingerprints in condensation at first view to me. But if it's a steam cabinet, why are they using that for the buffet? Certainly it's not "on".

I'll let you know if it looks different in the original photograph.

You're welcome!

I had not noticed the cabinets below before! I'm going to have to check my original photograph. It looks like fingerprints in condensation at first view to me. But if it's a steam cabinet' date=' why are they using that for the buffet? Certainly it's not "on".

I'll let you know if it looks different in the original photograph.[/quote']

I'm still not finished reading your review BUT, I just "went on the galley tour with you" and was reminded why I was shocked to see those doors like that. I've never [personally] been on a galley tour but have seen several tours here on CC. And those food areas are always spotless. I just thought it was weird.

Here is another picture that I did not include in our original review, also showing "fingerprints", etc. these are stainless steel, and if you have any in your kitchen, you know how they show fingerprints so easily. I think there may be some condensation going on, too. Maybe? These don't look very good, either, though.

IMG_0420_zpsff08ee94.jpg

I'm still not finished reading your review BUT, I just "went on the galley tour with you" and was reminded why I was shocked to see those doors like that. I've never [personally] been on a galley tour but have seen several tours here on CC. And those food areas are always spotless. I just thought it was weird.

Just wanted to say, English 101, that the pictures where the doors appear to be dirty were not in the galley, but in the Garden Cafe. No excuse, but just wanted to make sure you understood the location properly.

Enjoyed your pictures and reading your review. I will be on the Jewel in Oct for the third time. As part of the platinum perks, I’ve had the opportunity to experience several NCL behind the scenes tour and enjoyed them all. They seemed to be a little bit different on each ship. I really enjoy the Lavazza coffee machine, best part of the suites. There’s nothing better than waking up in the morning, enjoying the aft view with my cappuccino.:D

Enjoyed your pictures and reading your review. I will be on the Jewel in Oct for the third time. As part of the platinum perks, I’ve had the opportunity to experience several NCL behind the scenes tour and enjoyed them all. They seemed to be a little bit different on each ship. I really enjoy the Lavazza coffee machine, best part of the suites. There’s nothing better than waking up in the morning, enjoying the aft view with my cappuccino.:D

Amen, BSR! Love thal too!

I managed to one-finger type this from my phone!

Just wanted to say' date=' English 101, that the pictures where the doors appear to be dirty were not in the galley, but in the Garden Cafe. No excuse, but just wanted to make sure you understood the location properly.[/quote']

Oh yes, I knew it wasn't the galley. The reason I brought it up was because I know the galley is kept very clean and most passengers never get near seeing the galley. And while this area isn't the galley, it is a food service area. I was just really surprised when I saw it.

• 4 weeks later...

Had to go to my signature to see how long until my next cruise. But how, at 2:30 in the afternoon can the hours on the cruise be 8? If it's 2:30 here in mountain time, it must be 4:30 in Boston. Just wondering................................................:confused:

BSR - Are you going to be on the Jewel out of Houston??? I am doing a review of the Bayport Terminal (Houston). I will be there next week for a Princess Bon Voyaga Experience with my DD and SIL. I am going to take pics of the area hotels and attractions/eateries and post a really in-depth review. I will post it on the Gulf Coast departures board and here on the NCL board for Jewel cruisers.

So stay Tuned... :D

• 2 months later...

So, this may be a really stupid question...but I'm new to NCL in a few weeks!

I was reading about your spa days. What is the cost of using the spa the way you did (the heated loungers, the sauna, the therapy pool, etc...)? Is there a day rate? Is it first come first served? Since you weren't receiving "treatments"...I can't find anything online on the spa menu about just using the facilities.

So, this may be a really stupid question...but I'm new to NCL in a few weeks!

I was reading about your spa days. What is the cost of using the spa the way you did (the heated loungers, the sauna, the therapy pool, etc...)? Is there a day rate? Is it first come first served? Since you weren't receiving "treatments"...I can't find anything online on the spa menu about just using the facilities.

Hi, Stacey. Here's a copy of the Spa info from our cruise last September on the Pearl. This was in the Daily on the 2nd day of our cruise.

I'm sure the cost ($119 for the week) should be very similar on the Jewel for our cruise.

984090_10152404871688139_1662514576548547063_n.jpg

sreddish,

It was $119.00 for the week. They say they only give out 100 passes, so yes, it would be first come, first served. I have seen others post about day passes, but have never done that myself, so don't know about that. There was a sign-up table in the port area, but I only found it because we were in a suite - it is over near the suite pre-boarding lounge.

On previous cruises, there was a spa attendant in the atrium area, just as we entered the ship. You can look for someone there with the spa pin on and a clipboard. Lacking that, just make your was to the spa when you board and sign up there.

Happy sailing!

• 4 weeks later...
Tonight we had the Captain's cocktail party in the Haven. I was very excited about being able to see the Haven. This was a party for those in suites. They had cocktails: Manhatans were a drink that I decided I did not like. I don't remember what I ended up drinking. I was more interested in seeing the Haven and taking pictures.

Here we are seated on the ledge of the pool. Notice they do not have the famous fish carpet.

IMG_3605.jpg

It appears to be about 4 foot deep

IMG_3597.jpg

The retractable roof fascinated me

IMG_3606.jpg

Notice the tracks are massive!

IMG_3607.jpg

There is a hot tub in the Haven

IMG_3608.jpg

Looking down the hallway to the rooms.

IMG_3610.jpg

Our time in the Haven was all too soon over as we had dinner reservations in Tempanyaki.

Thank you for sharing your photos! We'll be staying in the Haven and I've been dying to see what the courtyard looks like.

Edited by Imasima752