Why not offer three or four traditional dining seatings?

The concept of 4 dining times I believe to be very good. Reducing the number of large tables though I see does present a couple of logistical issues. The amount of space required for a 10-top is significantly less than 5 2-tops. Include that in with the added effort of the wait staff for the increase in tables. Again, 1 10-top is easier to service than 5 2-tops. The dining room sizes would have to increase to maintain seating levels. And I can't believe any cruise line would sacrifice cabins for dining area. Just my 2 cents.

Floor space never even crossed my mind. I can see where that may create some problems. As far as 1 10-top vs. 5 2-tops, I cannot comment, since I do not have any experience. Timing would probably be much harder to manage.

Personally, I'm a huge proponent of My Time Dining and don't mind waiting a few minutes (and it's never been more than a few minutes).

However, I can see that what you propose -- traditional dining, but with staggered times -- would be better for the staff than My Time Dining. By better, I mean easier. Everyone would be getting appetizers at the same time, etc. Still, I like not being tied to a specific time each evening.

I have two complaints with traditional dining:

1. Early is too early and late is too late.

2. The dining experience takes forever.

Splendour used to offer 4 dining times in the Med - I think it was 6:00, 6:30, 8:30 and 9:00. One level of the MDR had the 6/8 and the other level had 6:30/9:00 (might even have been 9:30). I think that had to go by the wayside when they introduced MTD.
I was on Vision of the Seas out of Santo Domingo in 2009 and they were also doing four times: 6:15, 6:45, 8:45 and 9:15.

Personally, I'm a huge proponent of My Time Dining and don't mind waiting a few minutes (and it's never been more than a few minutes).

However, I can see that what you propose -- traditional dining, but with staggered times -- would be better for the staff than My Time Dining. By better, I mean easier. Everyone would be getting appetizers at the same time, etc. Still, I like not being tied to a specific time each evening.

I have two complaints with traditional dining:

1. Early is too early and late is too late.

2. The dining experience takes forever.

Agree with everything you wrote ...

Splendour used to offer 4 dining times in the Med - I think it was 6:00, 6:30, 8:30 and 9:00. One level of the MDR had the 6/8 and the other level had 6:30/9:00 (might even have been 9:30). I think that had to go by the wayside when they introduced MTD.

We did a Brilliance cruise in the Med that had four dining times, I believe the late, late was 9:30. Worked out fine.

Personally, I don't like MTD, would much prefer four dining times.