panama canal tour or railroad journey

lyndonstation

My answer is going to a depends answer. The "better" tour depends on what type of cruise you are on. If you are on a partial transit cruise or a cruise that just makes a stop in Panama, then the response below would be my answer. On the other hand you are on a full transit cruise, a trip through the Locks and Gaillard Cut would be retracing some already covered ground. While I would not have a problem with doing that, I'm sure most people would like to something else in their short time in Panama. Then the train excursion could certainly be an option.

While the railroad does skirt the Canal, there are only a couple of spots where you get a fairly good look at the Canal (and that's if you are the correct side of the train). You can see portions of Gatun Lake along the way but often time the view is obstructed by trees and other vegetation. I'm a RR aficionado and the train trip is neat, particularly when you consider the history of the road. However, if you are interested in the seeing the Canal, then the trip through the locks and Gaillard Cut is more beneficial.

Edited by BillB48

I talked to people who did the boat tour and really enjoyed it. However, I would only book with your cruise line. There was a delay with their tour boat needing a full lock. The ship waited 2 hours for over 300 people who where on the very delayed excursion.

We can't decide on either the panama canal tour(boat) or the railroad journey that travels alongside the canal. Is there much country to see by train that would be of interest? Or is it more fun to go through the locks?

• 3 weeks later...

We did the railroad tour and would recommend it. You didn't see the canal the whole way but you did see parts of it and it was good to see it from another perspective than actually being in it. We passed by as another cruise ship was in one of the locks so that was good to see as that was us the previous day.

You also pass through Colon and you get told about the history of why it's so rundown. On the other end of the trip on the bus you don't actually go into Panama City but you stay around the outskirts and see some good sights as well as a stop at a small shopping centre that has ok duty free.

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
We did the train last year. It was interesting, but not so much that we would do it again. We were in the domed car train. There was a lot of overgrowth outside so our view was restricted at times. This year we are doing a partial transit for a different viewpoint.

Which side best to find seat? Right or left?

Which side best to find seat? Right or left?

If you are traveling on the train from Colon to Panama City (Atlantic to Pacific) the right side IMO is the preferred side. If your trip is in the opposite direction (Pac to Atl) then left side.

• 6 months later...

We did the partial transit Dec '12 and did the "full transit boat tour", we are making a return partial transit again this Jan '15. We were thinking about doing the RR but afraid we would we be disappointed if the views are not available? What other excursions would you recommend in Panama City??

We did the partial transit Dec '12 and did the "full transit boat tour", we are making a return partial transit again this Jan '15. We were thinking about doing the RR but afraid we would we be disappointed if the views are not available? What other excursions would you recommend in Panama City??

The history of the Panama Railroad is almost as interesting as the history of the Canal itself, which is why I included a chapter just about the railroad. Had the railroad never been completed, I think it would have taken longer for the Canal to come about. It's not that there aren't any views from the train ... but it is primarily a train ride across Panama and wasn't designed especially for Canal viewing. It winds in and out with fascinating glimpses of the Canal along the way.

image115.png?.

image107.png?w=4504

image106.png?w=450

There are so many great tours to choose from, it just depends on your interests. With the partial transit the independent options aren't available to you. Since you tender off the ship in the Canal you land in a secure area with only a parking area for tour buses for ship-sponsored tours. Taxis, independent operators, etc. aren't permitted in that area.

My favorite is the Authentic Embera Indian Village tour. The one offered by Princess usually visits my favorite and most authentic village Embera Puru. There's lots of discussion of this tour already on this board.

cropped-embera-nikki-182.jpg

love-from-embera-puru-children.jpg

Whatever you do, I know you'll have a great time. There's so much to see and do in Panama ... I'm glad you are coming back!

Regards, Richard

I am going on a cruise that will go to Panama next February so I am haunting these boards getting info. Imagine my surprise today when I saw the black and white photos on your post and my sister is in one of the photos. She died several years ago so we are trying to pin down when this photo would have been made. She is in the second photo. I sent this link to her daughters in South Carolina and they agree that it is their Mom. If you could give me any information about when and where that photo was made, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for all of your information about Panama too!!

I am going on a cruise that will go to Panama next February so I am haunting these boards getting info. Imagine my surprise today when I saw the black and white photos on your post and my sister is in one of the photos. She died several years ago so we are trying to pin down when this photo would have been made. She is in the second photo. I sent this link to her daughters in South Carolina and they agree that it is their Mom. If you could give me any information about when and where that photo was made, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for all of your information about Panama too!!

Itansil, It was November 2008 on a ZUIDERDAM partial transit out of Ft Lauderdale. Regards, Richard

• 2 weeks later...