Good Family Options for Galveston or New Orleans?

avgsuperheroine

I am trying to narrow down some ideas for February or May 2015 with our boys. They will be 7, 9, 10. The idea I am really drawn to is finding a cruise I really like out of Galveston or New Orleans and then watching airfares. If they don't hit the price I like, I know driving is always an option.

It's important to me that we find ports that feel safe with the boys and a good family-friendly atmosphere on board with fun kids amenities.

Are there lengths, lines and/or ports I should avoid with them as I plan? I'm leaning towards a longer cruise (for us, 6+ nights maybe). Are there ports or ships I should definitely look for?

I'm look at the ships that leave New Orleans for Thanksgiving and the three that I have looked at are the NCL Dawn, Carnival Dream and Splendor of the Seas. Both the Dream and Splendor have good reviews and the Dream looks to have a good kids program along with a lot of things for kids to do. There is not as much out there on the Dawn through. As for ports, it all depends on what you like to do, we love snorkeling and swimming so there are times when we really don't see the port, we just get off the ship and board another smaller boat. Most of the ships that leave New Orleans go to Cozumel, which is pretty safe but like any port you have to be careful. The other ports Belize can be tricky just because you have to tender, Grand Cayman is usually pretty safe, I've never been a fan of Jamaica and the area outside the cruise ship area in Falmouth is not the best. I cannot speak that much of Roatan since it has been years since I have been there. I would think a 7 day cruise would be fine for your group. It's just long enough to relax but not too long.

I love New Orleans and have sailed the Serenade of the Seas. They offer two itineraries in Feb. 2015 and both of them would be fun for you and your family. I personally love Grand Cayman and there are beautiful beaches there. The Westin Hotel used to offer day passes that include beach chairs, use of their pool and beach.

The other intinerary includes Key West, which is very safe and in the US. On Nassau we did the ship excursion to Atlantis and used the pools, waterslides, etc. It was fantastic! My and I loved the rapid river.

As for the ship- it was lovely. There was loads to do onboard for kids and adults. Food was good and passengers were very nice.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain