Need help from Tampa local

bills blasters

We are thinking of heading to Tampa, St. Petersburg area and staying about 8 or 9 days before we cruise next Dec. We want to find a hotel that is close to the ocean, with a nice view. It can't be too expensive since we are staying so long.

Does anyone have any ideas of nice hotels. We have never been in that area before so we know nothing about the area. We will be renting a car, so if we have to drive a ways from the airport or port, that is no problem. What cities should I be checking.

Any help with this will be great.

Claudia

We have stayed at the Alden All-Suites resort on St.Pete Beach several times. All of the rooms are suites which include a separate bedroom area, small kitchen, dining and living room. They all have either a balcony or patio. The rates are very good, often in line with some of the other hotels that just offer a regular-no-frills hotel room. The resort has two heated pools, hot tub, tennis courts, beach bar, beach loungers, beach toy rentals and a secure gate operated parking garage.

http://www.aldenbeachresort.com/

In addition, it is basically a straight shot over the Howard Franklin bridge from Tampa to St.Pete and then down a few miles to the Pinellas Bayway exit to the hotel. There are many, many restaurants and shops withing walking distance. We often park our rental car and find that we hardly use it. There is a Publix grocery store nearby to stock-up on items for the kitchen.

They sometimes offer specials if you stay 3 nights or longer. Just make sure to ask them about it. I usually book directly by phone as this is where you can request any special offers that you may not see on the web site.

*** just wanted to add that if you don't need to be beach side, the Burmuda King Suites and the Nassau suites are a good deal. They overlook either the pools or the garden area. It can save you quite a bit

and the beach is just steps away. The Burmuda suite is a King bed studio and the Nassau suite is a two queen bed full suite. They also have 4 villas which are garden view. They have a bedroom with 2 queens and a large living, dining room and kitchen with a ground-floor patio. There are only 4 of them so they are not advertised on the web site. If it's just two of you, The Burmuda King studio is the way to go.

You will not be disappointed with the beach and view. St Pete Beach, IMHO, is much calmer and less crowded than the popular Clearwater Beach area. It's just a matter of choice, but I enjoy a less crowded

beach. There is a small beach bar to enjoy a cocktail while watching the sunsets and a few other more lively beach bars with live bands just steps down the beach at other local hotels.

Good luck.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

Thank you so much for the hotel info. I checked them out. Sounds great. I will for sure call and see if they have any specials. It helps to hear from someone that they were happy with the place. It is always so hard for me to pick a place where we have never been before. More so when we plan on staying for over a week.

Thanks again.

claudia

Also, if you wanted to stay on the Tampa side of the Bay, The Best Western Bay Harbor is now offering a cruise pkg. I have not stayed here yet but the hotel does overlook the water and has an adjacent restaurant with water toy rentals etc.... The rooms have private balconies and if you get one bayside, a great view.

http://www.bayharbortampa.com/

Their rates seem to be pretty good as well.

:)