Post Cruise stay in Miami during the Marathon

riley27

I have 1 night post cruise booked in Miami. I was hoping to stay at the Casa Moderna Miami. Just wondering how hectic things get around the downtown area on marathon day, and whether or not I should look to stay in a different area.

I have 1 night post cruise booked in Miami. I was hoping to stay at the Casa Moderna Miami. Just wondering how hectic things get around the downtown area on marathon day, and whether or not I should look to stay in a different area.
No, I would not change my hotel at all. The cabbies will know how to get into and out of the port. The only difference you will notice is that downtown will be pedestrian packed, a lot more people on the streets.

Hello,

I ran the Miami half marathon last year. I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott. After the race I had to catch the Carnival Breeze. I must say it was very busy downtown near the start/finish of the race. My only issue was after I finished the race, got showered & repacked for the cruise. We had major issues getting a cab at our hotel. The cabbies didn't want to go near our hotel area. We ended up waiting for the hotel shuttle & it took an hour for them to come. It took us probably about 45 min to get to the port. The Miami Marathon is a huge race & you can expect lot of traffic, road closures, and people.

If you don't have to catch a plane until late afternoon.. then you'll be fine. Otherwise make sure you leave plenty of time to get to the airport & arrange transportation early…

I love that weekend! The energy of all the racers are amazing!!! It was also a great time running it….

Just my 2 cents.

Oh i wouldn't worry about that. If you are down by bayside in the morning to early afternoon it will be busy. Google the Miami marathon for a map. It starts down my bayside & goes over the causeway through south beach & then back over another causeway through downtown Miami. There will be road closures. If your on foot, no worries. Go, enjoy! It's even fun to be a spectator!

We are getting off the Norwegian Epic on Feb 2nd, marathon day. Have the Hotel Urbano booked for two nights post cruise - flying home Tuesday morning. Four adults - two cruising again on the 3rd and two flying home on the 4th.

It looks like Hotel Urbano is between mile 24 and 25 on the marathon route. Worrying about being able to get taxi from the port to the hotel after cruise and at what cost. Are the taxi's fixed price via zone or metered?

One option is taking the NCL Everglades by Airboat excursion after the cruise and ending up at the airport around 1:30 and taxiing from airport to Hotel Urbano then. Husband wants to do an airboat excursion so he likes this idea.

Would appreciate input from someone familiar with Miami marathon day, traffic etc.

Thanks in advance.

Last year for the marathon I was staying post cruise in Miami. It was a mess because there were no taxis coming to the port that morning with all those cruise ship passengers looking for transportation to the airport or hotels was awful. Waiting out by the taxi area with not a taxi in sight there was a person walking up and down the area with hundreds of people looking for transportation was telling people that a bus would be coming and offering free transportation to the airport complaints of the city of Miami. I was going to a hotel but my hotel did offer free transportation to and from the airport so I got on the bus to the airport then called my hotel to pick me up at the airport. This was my only alternative to get to my hotel that morning. I felt bad for all those 50 other people on the bus because even though they got free transportation to the airport the driver said he only makes one stop and they had to all get out and walk to what ever terminal they were leaving from.