Suebee and Yesterday's Tremor on the Big Island

Das K

Suebee, I hope your trip is going well... any other news on yesterday's earthquake off of Hilo? I had never thought much about them, but it makes sense that Hawaii would have a lot of tremors....

Living in the Eastern US, I have never felt one, so I went on the National Geological Survey to find out how often they occur. Yesterday's tremor was the strongest on the Big Island in 32 years, so I guess Pele will be calmer when I arrive there on the Wind on July 24th.

Here's that site, for those interested..

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteq....-162.-152.html

Had a chat with some folks at HVO. The quake was about 79 km (49 miles) North of Hilo and basically had nothing to do with the ongoing eruption of Kilauea. Actually, I was hoping that it might have something to do with Mauna Loa, but this quake and the subsequent aftershocks were not near either of Mauna Loa's rift zones. In fact, it was closer to Mauna Kea, which hasn't erupted in a few millennia. All those huge and expensive telescopes on Mauna Kea's summit indicate a certain level of confidence that an eruption won't happen anytime soon.

We've felt quakes in Volcano many times in the past 20 years, and Kilauea keeps on ticking. If you look at the list of recent quakes at

http://130.118.88.100/results/seismic/recenteqs/Quakes/quakes0.html

you'll likely be amazed. The Big Island is quite seismically active.

BTW, there was a pretty intense increase in the lava activity at the shore in the last 24 hours, in the area that is roped off. I won't say that this has anything to do with the earthquake, because it really doesn't. The tube system that feeds the activity at the coast is changing constantly, and sometime last night a lot more lava was able to make it to the coast. This increase could already be diminishing.

If I was going to be at the volcano in the near future, the earthquake - or any recent changes in activity - would have zero effect on my plans.

Hope you see great activity!!

Living in CA, earthquakes happen, we don't get too excited about them. The local news does make a big deal about it, though. I don't mean at all to minimize the fact they can be devastating and very disturbing to some. I've had co-workers who have to go home they are so shaken (in more ways than one) by earthquakes. I'm always very grateful we have well built buildings and the damage is minimal, in comparison to what happens in other countries.

The scariest earthquake, for me, was when I was on a vacation in Vermont, it was the last thing I had expected. Sorry, I cannot remember the year exactly, but I believe it was around October of 1975.

I certainly hope all is well for Pele and all the lovely people in Hawaii.

Sceptic is right...it was nothing to do with volcanic activity. There were a number of aftershocks too. Mostly 2.3 in size. The tremor was very cool...the bed was shaking but no rattling of windows.

We lived in Japan and it was similar in size to the ones I felt there...but those were more like trucks driving by and this was more like my husband flipping over in bed and then doing it for 45 more seconds.

We havent felt anything since and now we are in Kona...not much happening here!

DASK - thanks for the well wishes...we are on the less adventurous side of our trip now. The kids are in Keiki Camp and we are just relaxing. We start school next week so we are trying to wind down a little. Tomorrow we do the Atlantis Submarine which is a huge bargain for the Kama'aina here. A 75% price break. We might do some snorkeling inthe mornign.

We are following the "Big Island Revealed" Guide and we love it. We agree with everything said so far that we've done and really recommend it as a guide book.

Would love to hear some of the places "Big Island Revealed" may have led you to! We're in the process of reading each of the four books in preparation for our back to back cruises to Hawaii on Carnival Spirit in September/October. Aloha!

Lets see...where have we NOT been? Ha ha.

On the volcano, we followed every path that was under 2 miles on dirt and none of the trails across choppy lava (small children). We did the Kilauea Iki trail which was awesome for everyone...even in the rain! The lava tube was surprisingly short and a little disappointing after Australias immense Lava tubes...but if youve never seen one, a must. We did the crater rim drive twice...one in the daytime and once at sunset. You notice so much more when you do it twice. I was amazed. We did the chain of craters road at sunset and saw the VOG and the flowing lava into the sea and on the mountian. No parking at the bottom though. It was very crowded. Outside of the park, we did look at Pu'u O'o vent from all of the vantage points listed in the book. We also followed the Mauna Loa trail to the Bird Park and did that hike.

We went to the Black Sand Beach south of the volcano as listed. We saw 2 turtles the first time. When we went back (DS left his hoodie), no turtles....lots of campers. We made NO stops along the south point since the kids were itchy.

In Kailua, we went to Greenwell Coffee Farm...free tours and tasting. We were offered any kind of coffee to taste......OOOHA we are having and earthquake!

Ok, its over. Anyway. After the coffee tasting, we had a 20 minute tour of the farm which was very informational and we bought LOTS of coffee after. We then went to Donkey Balls for a taste and buy. We ate dinner at Kona Brewery....a definite recommend! Get the sampler and try their Lilikoi Beer....I loved it...DH found it a little fruity...maybe girly? The pizza was delicious and the Tomato/Mozzerella appetizer was just wonderful.

We are doing the Atlantis submarine today because we get a deep discount. The kids will love it.

We are staying at Sheraton Keahou Resort which is NOT in the book. It was recently renovated and has new owners. We really like the pool here. And the kids are in the Keiki Camp now.

In Hilo, we ate at cafe 100 for lunch...very cheap and very satifactory for lunch. We are Loco Moco fans so we loved the 150 kinds. Loco Moco is a bed of rice with some kind of meat (hamburger, port, chicken etc), a brown gravy over all and a sunny side egg on top. Good for breakfast or lunch and cost is about $3-5. We had been to all of the waterfalls on a previous trip and agree with what the book writes.

I'll add more as our trip progresses...we get home tomorrow night.

:)

Lets see...where have we NOT been? Ha ha.

In Hilo, we ate at cafe 100 for lunch...very cheap and very satifactory for lunch. We are Loco Moco fans so we loved the 150 kinds. Loco Moco is a bed of rice with some kind of meat (hamburger, port, chicken etc), a brown gravy over all and a sunny side egg on top. Good for breakfast or lunch and cost is about $3-5. We had been to all of the waterfalls on a previous trip and agree with what the book writes.

Suebee: Sounds as tho you're having a blast. We just love to visit & explore the Big Island. So much to do, so much open space.

In Hilo do make sure you visit Big Island Candy... It's a must do everytime we visit.

Also, I (Sandi) will be spending two weeks on Oahu. You have my e-mail address. Send me e-mail if you'd like to get to gether for dinner or such. I'll be staying at the Pagoda.

I have put a deposit on a cruise in Febr 2006 on the Pride of America cruising the Hawaii Islands. Have never been there before and looking forward to seeing that part of the ocean. Have been in the Caribean several times. Sailed on Royal Caribean 3 times, Celebrity (not real happy with that cruise) and now going to try NCL. Is it better to book the island tours thru the ship or private tour guides? Need to get the tours on which islands lined up. Any help would be appreciated.... first time replying on the boards.

I have put a deposit on a cruise in Febr 2006 on the Pride of America cruising the Hawaii Islands. Have never been there before and looking forward to seeing that part of the ocean. Have been in the Caribean several times. Sailed on Royal Caribean 3 times, Celebrity (not real happy with that cruise) and now going to try NCL. Is it better to book the island tours thru the ship or private tour guides? Need to get the tours on which islands lined up. Any help would be appreciated.... first time replying on the boards.
Welcome to the boards. You may not get many answers to your question since you added to an existing thread. Suggest you start a new thread with your question, you'll probably get more answers.

In a nutshell, the book shore excursions from the cruise line or on your own is a perennial topic. There are plusses and minuses to both. You might spend some time on this board looking at past posts on this topic.

Good luck.

Suebee,

Well, you've been here on the Big Island for the 2 biggest earthquakes in a long time.!! I did NOT feel either of them...but they sure have everyone talking. Glad to hear you and the family are having fun.

Laurie

Welcome to these boards. You will find a wealth of information here! Go to the Ports section of the Cruise Critic Website, and you will find lots of information. Renting a car on all the islands works well for us. It is very easy to drive there with the exception of downtown Honolulu - that can get messy!

Ok, Bucky, I will add more when I get home. I totally forgot all we did around the eastern coast in the Pahala area. Great stuff in the book.

We took a chance on another restaurant tonight (Orchid? Chinese rest.) and it was well received by the Keiki. Add to what the book says, the cost of Buffet is 13.95 from Sun-Thu and weekends is 15.95. Keiki cost is by age. My kids were charged $5 and $7...their ages.

Sandi, will email you later....I dont have my address book here. Keep a lookout for my mail.

Laurie - What a riot being here for the two earthquakes! I cant believe you felt neither. Today's felt like someone picked up the building and dropped it while the one the other day was more like swaying. I dont think, even in Japan, I felt two in one week! I was rather hoping for some lava spews but beggars cant be choosers!

Silly me, I thought your earlier post was just describing the first adventure in detail and you inserted the earthquake description. THEN I matched up the date and time with yesterday's 5.2. Very interesting play-by-play. Your calmness under fire is impressive - you must be a Mom!!

I know these things are not to be triffled with, but a part of me hopes things are still shaking a bit when I hit Hilo on Sunday.

Enjoy the rest of your trip, and travel safely.

At the rate things are going....you just might! There was even another one later in the day that was not widely felt. The seismologists are being kept quite busy!

And yes, not only am I a mom, but we lived in Japan for 4 years so I kind of enjoy them...like how some people enjoy lightning storms! Until I see damage, I will think they're fun.

Have a terrific trip...only a few days left! And come back to let us know how things were. Aloha

Archived