insurance

NancyL2

I used squaremouth dot com last time. If you don't want to wade through all the choices, just give them a call (phone # on website) and you can talk to someone and tell them exactly what you are looking for and they will offer suggestions and ask you the appropriate questions to determine the best plan. I am sure travelguard does the same thing.

Are we allowed to ask who you all use for travel insurance?

I think you just did - LOL!

Anyways, lots of third parties. Most will say that cruiseline policy is the least favored. Often that offered by a TA is a better, but maybe not the best.

You need to know what you are buying and what you are not buying. Lots of assumptions about what is covered and what is not.

Bottom line though - you are "betting" you will have trouble and want someone else to pay if you do. In the end, the insurance company wins.

Never thought about other companies. We always just took NCL's at time of booking. Have we been making an error?

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't know that you've made an error, but there are other choices. I've had to make a claim twice. Once was with the cruise line directly (HAL) and our personal cruise consultant handled everything with no problem to us at all. I had a great deal of problem with the other time and never received any payment. That one was with an agency we used. Now we self insure for less costly trips relatively close to the US and are choosing the above mentioned company for our next longer trip away from the US.

We never cruise without it. We had a close friend almost die from an accident while on an excursion several years ago - he had NOT purchased travel insurance and it was a nightmare for him and their family. (he is permanently disabled - he broke his neck on a sailing accident)

From what I have seen through the years, Buying the insurance through the ship will be more money with less benefits. I always suggest using Travel Insured which we always had great feedback from the guests.

I always book through a TA and accept what ever insurance she recommends. Reading the policy, it sounds just fine and is cheaper than the NCL ins. However, I can't remember the company name. Shop around and check what each provides for the price.

Edited by roger001

We have been going through InsureMyTrip.com, but last cruise tried SquareMouth.com. Would never book without it. Had to file a medical claim once and were reimbursed for every expense including lost cruise days, 3 airline tickets, 3 nights in hotels, meals, hospital and a diving clinic.

Insurance is well worth the money. Was reminded of this when listening to the national news stories about the thousands of flight cancellations and the Polar Vortex! How does one get to the cruise pier in that mess!:eek:

InsureMyTrip is the best place to start because it allows you to find the best policy for you. When purchasing look at the name of the carrier writing the policy not the name of the policy. If Super Trip Insurance is underwritten by Joe's Insurance Company of the Third World but Boring Policy is underwritten by a reputable carrier, get that.

You also have to compare. Several years ago, we took a trip with my dad. For DH & I, InsureMyTrip got us a better policy for about 40% of the price from the TA but for my dad, an older person who wasn't in the best of health, I couldn't touch the coverage the TA was offering for twice the price.

something that I have recently began looking at. Never worried before about pre existing condition. Now I feel I need to take this into consideration. If you don't purchase the policy within a short time frame of making your initial deposit, then pre existing can get quite expensive, if available at all.

I know with the NCL insurance, like a previous poster said, for my elderly grandmother (86) had to go with NCL insurance. Something that I understand with them is say we have to use the policy and the carrier decides the condition is NOT covered for what ever reason they give. NCL will then give 75% credit toward another cruise within a year. Also you can upgrade the NCL policy so that the % goes to 90%

All this is just food for thought and info I have found

I asked a pcc once if NCL insurance covered preexisting conditions. After a long hold, he finally came back and said no. The other issue I have with NCL insurance, is it doesn't cover the vacation as a whole picture, ie, if my flight is cancelled or delayed and I miss the ship, I'm on my own, (assuming I book my own air).

We've been using CSA or HTH. Those are the two carriers I found that cover preexisting conditions at final payment as opposed to initial booking. Given that we book over a year out, I don't like booking insurance at that time.

I am one of those who would never travel on a cruise or out of country without insurance. I'd rather not risk bankruptcy from a vacation.

I asked a pcc once if NCL insurance covered preexisting conditions. After a long hold, he finally came back and said no. The other issue I have with NCL insurance, is it doesn't cover the vacation as a whole picture, ie, if my flight is cancelled or delayed and I miss the ship, I'm on my own, (assuming I book my own air).

We've been using CSA or HTH. Those are the two carriers I found that cover preexisting conditions at final payment as opposed to initial booking. Given that we book over a year out, I don't like booking insurance at that time.

I am one of those who would never travel on a cruise or out of country without insurance. I'd rather not risk bankruptcy from a vacation.

Thanks for this info. I've researched, but obviously not well enough. Looks like CSA might work for me. will be calling them as I'm about to make my final payment on my Panama Canal Cruise.

The way my PCC explained the NCL insurance is, they don't have pre existing condition, but NCL will give a 75% credit for another cruise if insurance determines the claim is not for a "covered" issue. My thoughts are insurance will always say not covered, so I was thinking getting a 75% credit was better than losing everything, but definitely would prefer the preexisting type policy.

Thanks Again

Edited by djmess

I always book through a TA and accept what ever insurance she recommends. Reading the policy, it sounds just fine and is cheaper than the NCL ins. However, I can't remember the company name. Shop around and check what each provides for the price.

Just a word of reason here. All the policies are WONDERFUL until you need to use them. Not saying the above is not true. Realize there are all kinds of policies with all kinds of coverage, and non coverage.