Port Canaveral To MCO

raceboat

Hello, My Cruise Critic Friends--If we have a flight out of MCO at 10:25am,

Is there enough time,with early disembark, to make the plane, Should i change

the flight? Will save me[us] 5 hrs. travel time. Thank You.

Well considering you should be at the airport 1.5 to 2 hours before your flight leaves, you might be cutting it a little close. The travel time from the port to MCO is around 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on traffic.

I sailed on Freedom of the Seas from Port Canaveral in 2010 and customs delayed everyone getting off because of an issue. I didn't leave the ship until 9:15am and my flight was at 11:30am from MCO. I did make the flight but it was really close. To close for comfort for me.

Hello, My Cruise Critic Friends--If we have a flight out of MCO at 10:25am,

Is there enough time,with early disembark, to make the plane, Should i change

the flight? Will save me[us] 5 hrs. travel time. Thank You.

you are not saying which ship, docking time and if you have private transportation standing by?? if you dock at 7am my answer is "you better change your flight"....

Edited by phish tales

I live near the port

a few weeks ago I had a 9:30 AM flight out of MCO. I gave myself 3 hours to get to the airport (usually takes 50 minutes) and thru security, typically takes 10 to 15 minutes after I park in the long term lot saving $$ (about 10 additional minutes).

Zooming along on 528 I discovered all traffic being directed OFF at 520. 528 was closed from 417 to 520, both directions due to an accident. Everything was redirected to SR-50.

This added nearly 90 minutes to my trip ... Once on 417 I did 90 plus to MCO parked in the regular lot (end cost more than the plane ticket) and ran into the terminal to see a sign advising 20 minute wait for TSA...

FORTUNATELY my Southwest boarding pass said TSA-PRE which allowed me to use the pre-screened line ... no wait. I made the flight by 10 minutes. By plan I should have had 90 minutes or more . . . all gone due to the re-route and morning traffic (it WAS a weekday)

528 gets shut down an average of one morning a month IME .... there is no good alternate. Rather that 75 mph plus highway you are in stoplight after stoplight . . . .

just a warning . . .

I'm usually very brave when it comes to booking early flights following a cruise. However I'd never even consider anything before noon out of MCO. We've had the longest security lines ever at this airport. We had noon flights and still barely made it and that's with us arriving over 2 hours early!

DW & I are debating a 1:30P flight out of MCO after getting off Freedom in June. If it was just the two of us, no brainer, but our kids are with us, and they're not always the easiest to get up and going.

Self-disembark isn't really an option because of the kids, but if we get an assigned time of ~8AM to get off the ship, and we need to go get a rental car, is the 1:30P doable? How efficient are they at PC?

When we got off Oasis last year, we had a 9:45 assigned time, called at 9:50 and according to my notes we were clear of customs by 10:30.

So if we have an "off time" of 8, say we get out of the port by 9, shuttle to rental car, pick it up, then drive to MCO around 10, we should get to the airport around 11... 2 1/2 hours before the flight. And those times are fairly generous IMO. Other thoughts from folks who have done this more?

DW & I are debating a 1:30P flight out of MCO after getting off Freedom in June. If it was just the two of us, no brainer, but our kids are with us, and they're not always the easiest to get up and going.

Self-disembark isn't really an option because of the kids, but if we get an assigned time of ~8AM to get off the ship, and we need to go get a rental car, is the 1:30P doable? How efficient are they at PC?

When we got off Oasis last year, we had a 9:45 assigned time, called at 9:50 and according to my notes we were clear of customs by 10:30.

So if we have an "off time" of 8, say we get out of the port by 9, shuttle to rental car, pick it up, then drive to MCO around 10, we should get to the airport around 11... 2 1/2 hours before the flight. And those times are fairly generous IMO. Other thoughts from folks who have done this more?

I would not have a problem with a 1:30pm flight in your situation.

However, is the rental car required? There is some waiting time for the rental car shuttle, car pick up, car drop off, etc. We usually take one of the shuttles back to MCO to avoid the extra steps needed with a rental car.

I would not have a problem with a 1:30pm flight in your situation.

However, is the rental car required? There is some waiting time for the rental car shuttle, car pick up, car drop off, etc. We usually take one of the shuttles back to MCO to avoid the extra steps needed with a rental car.

Required? No. Thinking cost savings though. From what I've found, using one of the shuttles will be $100+ (especially with 5 of us) vs. (hopefully) <$50 for a rental car.

Required? No. Thinking cost savings though. From what I've found, using one of the shuttles will be $100+ (especially with 5 of us) vs. (hopefully) <$50 for a rental car.

I forgot to mention putting gas in the car. I was shocked at the prices near the airport. Someone here should be able to point you to a nearby gas station with better prices.

I forgot to mention putting gas in the car. I was shocked at the prices near the airport. Someone here should be able to point you to a nearby gas station with better prices.

Another good point. Last year after our Oasis cruise, we went to Cocoa Beach for a couple days. We filled up before heading to MCO, and National accepted the car as "full". ~50 miles (a little less), so as long as the car gets 25mpg, (barring detours or slow downs), it's two gallons of gas.