Turkish Visas - A Change is Coming!

mzk90

Looking at Quest, probably 11 April out of Nice, but was also looking at Journey on 2nd May when my TA told me about the change to visa requirements for Turkey.

No more visa on arrival from April and an e-visa is needed if starting or finishing in Turkey. It seems if you just call there as a port of call we are still covered, so that should be ok, although the FAQ on this page says if you leave the port city you need one, so I guess if you go to Ephesus from Kusadasi it might not count. :confused:

http://abta.com/news-and-views/news/change-to-turkish-visa-entry-requirements

Looking at Quest, probably 11 April out of Nice, but was also looking at Journey on 2nd May when my TA told me about the change to visa requirements for Turkey.

No more visa on arrival from April and an e-visa is needed if starting or finishing in Turkey. It seems if you just call there as a port of call we are still covered, so that should be ok, although the FAQ on this page says if you leave the port city you need one, so I guess if you go to Ephesus from Kusadasi it might not count. :confused:

http://abta.com/news-and-views/news/change-to-turkish-visa-entry-requirements

This article actually refers to arriving by air in Turkey, of which before the new regulation, you were able to purchase a visa at the airport once you landed, before entering customs. Now with the change, you have to purchase your visa online, before you travel to Turkey.

For cruise passengers entering Turkey on a port of call, a visa is NOT required, since you will not be staying in the port for longer than 72 hours. So if you have a port of call in Kusadasi/Ephesus, you do not need a visa.

Here is more info from travel.gov website:

Foreigners who are traveling to Turkey by cruise ship are allowed to enter Turkey without a visa for a maximum period of 72 hours, with permission given by the local security authorities at the port of entry.

Now, this is for US Citizens, so be sure to check with your consulate to be sure.

Edited by brunello22

Well if you visit the website where you get the e-visa from, and look at the FAQ, it specifically mentions cruise visitors and does not mention 72 hours, only about you are ok if staying in the port city, which Ephesus is not.

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/info/

So I guess further clarification is required. Over to you Azamara! :eek: