IOS and luggage drop off

How early and how easy is it to drop off luggage for the IOS in Fort Lauderdale? We have a rental car, Hertz at the port. We were thinking of dropping the luggage off first and then returning the car. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the hassle? Can we even drive the rental up to luggage drop off or is it for taxi's only?

How early and how easy is it to drop off luggage for the IOS in Fort Lauderdale? We have a rental car, Hertz at the port. We were thinking of dropping the luggage off first and then returning the car. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the hassle? Can we even drive the rental up to luggage drop off or is it for taxi's only?

You can drive a rental car up to the terminal and drop off bags.

Yes, you can but it really can be a hassel due to the congestion and traffic...Just drop off your rental and you and your luggage use the car rental (we prefer Thrifty since it's just outside the PE gate and the closest so they make many trips in/out of PE no need to wait until their shuttle fills up as some do make you) shuttle bus into PE...We have arrived and dropped off our luggage as early as 8:00am...It's not the time that should be a concern but what will work out better/easier for you...Two trips into the port not necessary...Best of luck and enjoy your cruise..INDY is a favorite and we have sailed the 8 nighter on her out of PE many times.

I did exactly that with Avis, but I made sure I was at the port to drop off luggage a little before 10am to avoid traffic and crowds. No wait at all for the porters, whereas the people getting off the rental car shuttle with us later had to wait a while.

It took 45 minutes to return the car and get back to the port, but that was due to us missing a few shuttles because I had to leave Avis twice to fill up the car with gas and return the key to our hotel (I was a bit preoccupied).