Dawn – Formal nights

Pickles61

This is my first freestyle cruise so I’m not sure about formal night. On other “traditional” cruises I’ve always dressed for formal night along with my 2 boys (11 & 5). What do most people do on the Dawn? What about kids, do most of them dress up? Which night is formal night? Are some restaurants designated as formal and other’s non-formal for that night? Is there a “lobster” night?

I’m looking forward to free-style cruising with the kids since they usually want to eat early I can get them there early but no have to rush to make it at a certain time.

Thanks for your help

Formal is completly optional. One dinning room is set aside for those that wish to dress. Not many in tuxes. I leave mine home. I would say perhaps 25-35 % dress up depending on the cruise. Most will dress better that night. Lots of Blazers and nice dresses.

I am a member of the blazer club but elect to eat in one of the other 9 resturants and leave the formal dining room for those that want the traditional feel of formal night.

Some still dress as if it any other night. It is in fact all about choices.

Yes there is a lobster night :)

Thanks Shoreguy

If the majority don’t dress formal then maybe I'll bring a dress for myself and a "nicer" shirt for the kids. We will be cruising again in Nov so maybe we'll do the formal nights since that cruise is not free-style.

Do you know what night is formal night & which night is lobster night? I’ll be on the 8/28/05 cruise.

We just got back from a cruise on the Dawn and I can asure you that nobody needs to be concerned about dressing formally. There is what is called "Optional Formal Night" which is on Monday. I dressed up, so did my daughter and her husband. Were we surprised. There were all these people in their regular clothes. There were just a few long dresses and no tuxedos. So, in other words, your boys can wear something nice but no suits if they want to. There ist however a dress code which states: No jeans, t-shirts or shorts at dinner in the main restaurants.

Your boys should have a fantastic time on this ship. It is very popular with kids and they all seemed to have a good time.:)

We have 2 boys also (7&4). We did dress up for formal night - dark suit & cocktail dress, and the boys dressed in left-overs from my 7yo's First Communion Day ( 1 navy blue suit & 1 vest outfit.) If we didn't already own those clothes, I wouldn't have gone out & bought new ones. All the other nights, we dressed as if we were going to a nice restaurant or party. Remember, style is very subjective: what seems dressy to someone may seem casual to another.;)

How strict are the with the "No jeans, t-shirts or shorts at dinner in the main restaurants" for kids. On past cruises the've worn nicer jeans or nicer shorts with a nice shirt for dinner (not on formal night) and I've never had a problem.

How strict are the with the "No jeans, t-shirts or shorts at dinner in the main restaurants" for kids. On past cruises the've worn nicer jeans or nicer shorts with a nice shirt for dinner (not on formal night) and I've never had a problem.

Shorts - they are very strick. Jeans it depends on who is seating you. I am sure if the "kids" are very young shorts could be ok.

Archived