"Invitation" for Russian Visa

Condocat

We have booked a Russsian River Cruise for this September and I am now investigating the process of obtaining our Russian Visas.

For anyone who has done this before, I understand we'll receive an "invitation" or voucher from our cruise company confirming our reservation. Do you recall how soon you received yours and what type of information was on it? I realize this is critical to start the Visa application process.

Any information is greatly apprectiated.

We have booked a Russsian River Cruise for this September and I am now investigating the process of obtaining our Russian Visas.

For anyone who has done this before, I understand we'll receive an "invitation" or voucher from our cruise company confirming our reservation. Do you recall how soon you received yours and what type of information was on it? I realize this is critical to start the Visa application process.

Any information is greatly apprectiated.

We visited Russia last year as part of an ocean cruise, but I understand they changed visitor requirements in anticipation of the Olympics. We were not required to obtain visas as long as we were accompanied by a licensed Russian guide while off the ship. We were required to show proof of "invitation" at the port when disembarking - the tour company reservation was accepted. You should check on the current regulations and rely on your cruise company for accurate, up to date information.

Have fun - it's a very interesting destination.

Dear Condocat, you should get this "invitation" from the river cruise company. If you did not get it with your confirmation, you should call and get it right away. Are you going through a Visa Company? It might have been recommended by the cruise company - if so, and you're going through the Visa Company, they will handle getting the "invitation" letter. If you are doing it on your own, then you need to get it directly from the river cruise company. The paperwork for getting a Russian visa is pretty onerous - many pages of detailed questions. It's also pretty costly. We went to Russia in 2012 and it cost us $500 for the two of us. Unfortunately, you don't really have a choice here. If you're going on a river cruise, the Russian govt requires you to have a visa. If you are on an ocean cruise, as the previous poster says, as long as you're with a licensed guide, you don't need one. But on a river cruise, you are allowed to walk around on your own for "free time" and hence need a visa. If you don't mind, what river cruise company are you going with?

We had a fabulous time in Russia and it was worth the hassle to get the visa. We will be on an ocean cruise in 2015 and will be in St Pete for two days - for that we will not bother with getting a visa, but instead will go with the licensed guide. Have fun and hope you enjoy your trip. Russia has many amazing sights to see. And the food is better than you probably think.

Use a Visa service do not try and do this on your own!!! The rules change all the time as do the forms and info needed. The Visa service will handle all of this process and do it very fast.

We used GenVisa in Washington DC and they were very reliable and good. You should get your application about 90 days before your trip. When we went we were told NOT to mail them sooner because they would not be accepted. Only thing I paid extra for was insurance covering replacement of my passport since you have to send the original and if it gets lost you will need to expedite replacement. It was money wasted since my passport wasn't lost, but it helped me sleep better while it was gone. Be prepared to pay $400 more or less for Visa.