What's the earliest flight

gwb2004

From which port?

If you are talking Port Canaveral, nothing before 11:00 am, and that's if you pack light and can easily carry off your own bags as soon as they clear the ship, are US citizens with passports or better yet GOES and nothing to declare, and have a car service waiting for you.

It's an hour from the port to the airport, and MCO check in and security lines can take an hour or much more.

In my opinion, booking a mid afternoon flight is best. You cab relax over breakfast and leave when you are ready. If you wait until near the end, there will be no lines at CBP, and when you get to the airport you won't have any stress, even if lines are long.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

11:50 would be OK, but only under the circumstances I previously laid out. If you need to rent a car, or are taking a shuttle or DCL transportation that will wait for others or the bus to fill, you could be in trouble.

I have cruised out if PC, my ship was on time once, delayed by about 45 minutes once (weather), and delayed by several hours once (detour to remove a sick passenger in Miami the night before). Granted that is a small representation given the number if cruise ships in and out if there every week, but...

Everything Ducklite said ...........and goes right means:

1. The vessel arrives on time

2. No customs delays.

3. No heavy traffic or accidents over the road.

4. No car or bus breakdowns.

5. Airline and baggage check in ok

6. Airport security is normal and not backed up.

I agree, we always go for mid afternoon or even wait until the evening ( we go to DTD for a few hours then).

Have a great cruise.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

FYI, download the WESH2 app onto your smartphone and allow it to send you push notifications. You'll get alerts if there are accidents in I95 and the Beachline that cause major delays or closures. Saved my hide a few weeks back when I was in Vero and considering dropping in on a customer in Cocoa. Before I left Vero I found out the Beachline was closed due to a brush fire, so I hopped on the Turnpike and went home, and went out to see the customer in Cocoa later in the week. Saved me hours of detours and heavy traffic.

From my Princess FAQ but it still applies:

Can I Make my XX:XX Flight?

This question comes up a lot and the safe answer is:

If you have to ask? No.

Most disembarkation ports have a suggested earliest flight time for a reason (and most lines will not provide transfers for departures prior to that). Those times are suggested for a reason, to allow for not only the expected challenges of arrival and disembarkation but also to provide a safety cushion.

Unfortunately, the airlines know this and price flights from those port cities accordingly. So sometimes you do have to consider an earlier flight (note – later flights might be cheaper as well, always consider that option if it fits your plans. There is no such thing as too much time to get to the airport.

If you do want to take a flight before the suggested times, there are a number of things to consider:

• How much luggage do you have? Princess offers a self-debarkation option. These passengers are often first off the ship giving you the best shot at an early flight. Passengers choosing this option MUST be able to handle ALL of their own luggage WITHOUT assistance and possibly with limited access to elevators. This option can greatly increase flight flexibility.
  • How many ships will be arriving the same day as yours? How big? – The number of ships in port will affect the time it takes to clear customs, availability of taxis, congestion at port gates, etc. As an example, if the Island Princess is the only ship in port, I would be much more comfortable about an early flight than say if the Royal was porting at the same time as the Allure of the Seas and perhaps the Ruby as well. The more ships, the more possibility of issues arising.
  • What port? – Some ports are noted for customs delays, traffic issues, etc. Identify where the airline is in relation to the port and how you get there. Ft. Lauderdale is relatively close to the airport and on a fairly fast-travel route. San Francisco is in another city along one of the worst highways in the country for congestion.
  • What day/time are you arriving? Rush hour on a Tuesday or before dawn on a Saturday?
  • Transport? Planning on a taxi or car service? Car services provide the advantage of a guaranteed waiting vehicle, at a higher cost.
  • Finally, what is Plan B? Are there later flights you can hope to get on (at possibly some expense) if you miss yours? Remember, flights are closer to full than ever, there may not be any seats the rest of the day.

So, should you book that early flight? Thinking on all the factors above, look at the time your ship is scheduled to arrive. Remember, the ship itself has to clear customs itself before disembarkation can begin. Think about all of the factors above and make your best guess when you could get off the ship and clear customs. Estimate travel time to the airport and time to check in and clear security. Then, add an hour at least to allow for any issues/delays. If your flight is after that, MAYBE you can make it.

Or, as I noted above, book the later flight. It’s vacation, do you really want to spend the last day stressing about air travel?

Edited by Loonbeam