Favorite European river itinerary

Shebely

I know that many of us have our favorite river cruise company. But, what I am looking for here is to get recommendations of your favorite itinerary. I believe discussions of the itineraries get lost in either glowing reports or not of the cruise companies.

My favorite journey so far is on the Seine from Paris to Honfleur with the side trip to Normandy. I loved being able to walk off the ship into the delightful towns especially Rouen and Honfleur. My recommendations is that you make sure that your cruise goes as far as Honfleur. Some companies do not include Honfleur.

I wish I could say that the Danube from Budapest to Nuremberg was also a favorite, but the lock workers strike changed our journey and put us up to 11 hours behind off the schedule.

Portugal, the Douro river was scenic and great small towns to explore.

Russia,neat to see the big cities and also small ports along river.

Egypt,when it was SAFE,would NOT do now.But was fantasic,yrs.ago.sigh.

Not Europe,but Asia.LOVED the Vietnam /Cambodia one.So exotic.

Love the alternate river and ocean cruises,to see best of both worlds.

Sadly,think the Danube is getting very busy with many riverboats now,forcing many to dock together.Not pleasant,no privacy.;)

You may need to try "Tulips and windmills" from Amsterdam. There are marvelous towns along the way e.g. Hoorn, not to mention Antwerp, Ghent, Brugge...

I totally agree! We were able to just walk off the ship and begin our tours at most of these ports, and the towns were so charming and photogenic.

Also loved Antwerp to Basel. The Elbe was another favorite. Really love the Christmas markets--doing our third in Dec. The Peruvian Amazon was remarkable. Usually I say my last was my favorite and the last was a Road Scholar trip out of Bordaux along the Gironde with a week in the Dordonge Valley. Pat

How do you pick a favorite they were all wonderful and special in their own way. Castles on the Rhine (Budapest-Amsterdam) I loved the scenery and the towns we stopped in especially the organ concert in Passau; the medieval festival in Rothenburg ob du Tauber; Eiswine in Rudesheim, Heidelburg and Vienna...Tulips and Windmills was exquisite but how do you describe Keukenhof and the flower auction, and cherry bier in Belgium, and the outdoor zuiderzee museum. Egypt was such an experience, the balloon ride at dawn over the Nile; Luxor; Alexandria and the magnificent Hanging Church in Cairo.... and the camel ride through Petra...Russia with it's scenic beauty that I had no idea existed....Fabege eggs at the Hermitage, Red Square, at midnight, the best McDonald's burger EVER in Moscow!.....on the river, Kizhi was my favorite port with Mandrogi a very close second....and Costa Rica.....the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen, accidently entering Nicaragua and not getting caught! and discovering wild life where it belongs, in the wild. All the memories are flooding back...and that's the best part about travel.:D