San Juan or Rio Grande area?

gracie65

We are sailing on The Carnival Valor 11/16/14 and planning on 3 nights pre-cruise stay. We have been to Old San Juan several times but never been to other attractions in Puerto Rico. We are interested in El Yunque, possibly ziplining or hiking. One of the Bio Bays and a little beach time. Also open to other suggestions.

Would we be better off in staying Rio Grande/Fajardo area? If so, where would you suggest? Or, should we stay Isla Verde area and do day trips? This will be for 2 couples so if we need to share taxi/car rental etc we are open to suggestions.

The more I search the harder it seems to figure all the cost pros and cons in staying closer to San Juan or closer to the areas we wish to see.

On the way back we are doing another post night stay. Normally we stay at The Embassy Suites.

Thanks in advance!!

If you're plan is to be doing stuff outside of the San Juan metro area, stay closer to the stuff you'll be doing. If you're talking about biobay, beach, and forest ... save about 1 hour drive each way by staying in Rio Grande, Luquillo or Fajardo. Get a rental car, though.

I know you can't suggest any places for me so a bummer there. Am I allowed to ask you about specific places? If so, which place would be the closest to those places and have the best beach without breaking the bank too bad? Wyndham, Grand Melia, Fajardo Inn, one of the Waldorf's? I know the less expensive of those you have to take a ferry to their beach and the other may be more then I wish to pay.

I know you can't suggest any places for me so a bummer there. Am I allowed to ask you about specific places? If so, which place would be the closest to those places and have the best beach without breaking the bank too bad? Wyndham, Grand Melia, Fajardo Inn, one of the Waldorf's? I know the less expensive of those you have to take a ferry to their beach and the other may be more then I wish to pay.

Avoid Gran Melia!! Read the reviews first!

We booker Fajardo Inn for our trip in March for 1 night so we can do the Bio Bay on the Saturday night, it looks OK , the reviews are decent and the price is right.

I will give a full report when we return.

Thanks have a great trip!!

Have you stayed there personally? I've read the reviews but as you know they can be subjective. The beach looks really nice. Won't be in the room too much if we are seeing the sights. The Wyndham seems to be having a 3 night minimum. I shopping pretty far out so that could change.

We have stayed 2 nights post-cruise at the Gran Melia and LOVED it. Nice room, very friendly service, gorgeous pool.

Very convenient to visit El Yunque, eat at the kiosks at Luquillo and even go to Fajardo to do the Bio Bay excursion.

We rented a car and it was VERY easy to drive everywhere.

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I have figured it out. I ran across a tour guide called Natural Wonders. They have a tour where they pick you up in San Juan and go to The Rainforest, a beach and then Bio Bay. Price is very good for what they offer so I am going to stay at The Embassy Suites in San Juan and use Natural Wonders for our tours. They have several so we may do a second day with them. I have added up prices both ways and not to have to rent a car and worry about driving ourselves means alot.