Stay in Galveston or near Hobby?

emen822

Hi everyone. So I have a room (studio?) booked at the TownePlace Suites (Marriott) in Galveston for one night prior to the cruise. I booked it back in August and the reviews were good, had a shuttle to the pier, things nearby since we won't have a car, etc. I thought I would be able to see the ship in the morning before we boarded but doesn't seem like it. (I LOVE to see the ship first thing in the morning!) :D

So I have a few questions I hope some locals can help with:

Does anyone have any thoughts on this hotel? (Hotel is located on Seawall Blvd.) Haven't read about it on here except recently that someone had also booked it.

Any suggestions on what to do that day that is nearby (places to eat, etc)?

Are we better off staying near Hobby for the one night since I can't see the ship anyway? :)

I tried booking other places (Tremont, Harbor House) but it seems they are either sold out, can't accommodate 3 per room or have a 2 night minimum.

We have never been to Texas before so we are literally 3 fish out of water! Any help/suggestions/advice you can give would be very much appreciated. I also posted this in my rollcall but figured I would try here as well.

TIA!

Mary

Hobby Airport is not in the best part of town, so suggest not staying there.

The Towne Place Suites is relatively new and looks nice.

Better to wake in the morning looking at the Gulf of Mexico than a parking lot:)

As long as they will shuttle you places, not a problem. Taxis are not expensive.

Nice to go downtown to the Strand and Post Office Sts.

Lots of restaurants on the island from inexpensive fast food to expensive white table cloth.

Check out Galveston.com for restaurants and their menus.

I agree with Galveston Cruiser and in a Galveston vs. Hobby, Galveston wins hands down.

As for the location of your hotel remember that the Seawall is several miles long and you're on an end with very little in walking distance. At least my walking distance.

You'll need transportation from the hotel or a cab to most restaurants and attractions.

Better to wake in the morning looking at the Gulf of Mexico than a parking lot:)

As long as they will shuttle you places, not a problem. Taxis are not expensive.

Lots of restaurants on the island from inexpensive fast food to expensive white table cloth.

I agree with Galveston Cruiser and in a Galveston vs. Hobby, Galveston wins hands down.

As for the location of your hotel remember that the Seawall is several miles long and you're on an end with very little in walking distance. At least my walking distance.

You'll need transportation from the hotel or a cab to most restaurants and attractions.

Thank you both. At least I know I'm better off in Galveston than staying near Hobby. The hotel does offer a shuttle maybe within 5 miles or something. I will have to do more research since it looks like we are staying put at this hotel. :)

Thank you both. At least I know I'm better off in Galveston than staying near Hobby. The hotel does offer a shuttle maybe within 5 miles or something. I will have to do more research since it looks like we are staying put at this hotel. :)

Absolutely!

Great advice! :)

Even if the area around Hobby improved, I would still recommend staying in Galveston. The Gulf Fwy, which connects the two, is always having construction at some point. Most ships depart on the weekend, and that's when most people in Houston try to get to Galveston whether for the beach or just for fun. Why should you sit in traffic on the day you are trying to get to a ship?

the only problem I have seen with galveston, is most hotels require a two night minimum. That is difficult if you are flying in the day before the cruise. I have run into the for the 4/6 sailing.

True for some. But we did not have that problem with this hotel. We are staying there on 2/15 so if you are interested, I can let you know how it is when I return.