X vs Disney

jimmyma2

In the CONDÉ NAST TRAVELER 2013 Readers' Poll of the Top 100 Cruise Ships in the World, the top five in the Large Cruise Ship category were:

1. Disney Magic

2. Disney Wonder

3. Disney Dream

4. Celebrity Eclipse

5. Celebrity Equinox

Ships were judged on:

- itineraries

- excursions

- service

- cabins

- food

- activities

- design

Interesting...

In the CONDÉ NAST TRAVELER 2013 Readers' Poll of the Top 100 Cruise Ships in the World, the top five in the Large Cruise Ship category were:

1. Disney Magic

2. Disney Wonder

3. Disney Dream

4. Celebrity Eclipse

5. Celebrity Equinox

Ships were judged on:

- itineraries

- excursions

- service

- cabins

- food

- activities

- design

Interesting...

Very!

It's like comparing apples and oranges IMO.

I have only done one Disney Cruise and it was completely child oriented IMO. The buffet reminded me of McDonald's type atmosphere. The pool area with the soda machines, slides, etc. again kid centric.

The dining was not good- although we only partook in the main dining rooms. Again- the meals were kid centric.

I know people love Disney. I have friends that cruise Disney without kids but it is totally beyond me why anyone would.

But you love it... so I'll give you my take on the differences

Disney cabins are larger than standard cabins on Millenium.

The food on Millenium will be much better than Disney.

Service is excellent on both lines.

I have sailed Millenium twice and am returning again in May. So I can highly recommend the ship. I am also not a huge fan of Royal Caribbean. Celebrity is more refined than Royal

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

1. Disney Magic

2. Disney Wonder

3. Disney Dream

4. Celebrity Eclipse

5. Celebrity Equinox

Ships were judged on:

- itineraries

- excursions

- service

- cabins

- food

- activities

- design

Interesting...

well....I'm sticking with #4 & #5....:):D:D

I'm very interested to see how you compare the two! Thanks!

Have a great time on Celebrity! If you are on the Reflection...Nicolina will be your excellent wine steward in Blu...she is EXCELLENT! Enjoy!

We are on the Constellation! But we are thinking of booking a fall cruise on either the Reflection or Silhouette. Having a hard time choosing between them and only a few days til we are on vacation and have to make a decision!

I will let you know what we think!

I can still hear "It's a small world after all" playing on the Disney ship as we sailed away on the Mariner several years back....it played over and over until we were out of distance.....THAT would make me crazy......but perhaps that was just a one time thing!!!:eek::eek:

We have taken 4 cruises on DCL and have never heard "It's a small world" once.

If we had, while on board, we both would have literally 'jumped ship'. We detest that song!

Like I said, we have done 4 DCL cruises and we have a 15 day Panama Canal cruise coming up in May.

And we have done lots on X and hava a 14 day Eclipse for Christmas this year.

As someone mentioned, it is like comparing apples to oranges. They both have their strengths:

X price, beautiful ships, OK entertainment, pretty good food

DCL beautiful ships, good entertainment, pretty good food, most go out of Port Canaveral

and their drawbacks:

DCL PRICE! But that PC cruise is a bargain.

X I hate the drive to FLL or MIA.

We enjoy them both. But the loyalty program with X, the pricing and the S class ships will keep us pretty loyal.

We have taken 4 cruises on DCL and have never heard "It's a small world" once.

If we had, while on board, we both would have literally 'jumped ship'. We detest that song!

Like I said, we have done 4 DCL cruises and we have a 15 day Panama Canal cruise coming up in May.

And we have done lots on X and hava a 14 day Eclipse for Christmas this year.

As someone mentioned, it is like comparing apples to oranges. They both have their strengths:

X price, beautiful ships, OK entertainment, pretty good food

DCL beautiful ships, good entertainment, pretty good food, most go out of Port Canaveral

and their drawbacks:

DCL PRICE! But that PC cruise is a bargain.

X I hate the drive to FLL or MIA.

We enjoy them both. But the loyalty program with X, the pricing and the S class ships will keep us pretty loyal.

Which has the better food? This is what we really look for...don't care about the price as we would pay more for (a once remembered Michael Roux) cruise

Which has the better food? This is what we really look for...don't care about the price as we would pay more for (a once remembered Michael Roux) cruise

I thought the food was OK on both. My husband (I just asked him, but he had to pretend a gun was at his head to give me an answer!) said that he likes X just a little bit more. Me, they are about the same. No, I wouldn't pay more for DCL for the food.

Condé Nast rated the Eclipse and Equinox ahead of the three Disney ships on food.

I thought the food was OK on both. My husband (I just asked him, but he had to pretend a gun was at his head to give me an answer!) said that he likes X just a little bit more. Me, they are about the same. No, I wouldn't pay more for DCL for the food.

LOL! ...and thanks!

I've been on each line twice. Food is subjective. IMO, Celebrity has better food than Disney, specialty restaurants aside. Service was about equal. The only truly BAD service I've ever gotten on a cruise was our room steward on DCL Wonder but I decided to consider that an anomaly. Guest service desk personnel much better on Celebrity than on Disney.

DH prefers DCL, I prefer Celebrity. Nobody has gotten sick on any cruise line except DCL and it's happened both times we've sailed with them. That's too much of a coincidence for me. Plus, I prefer not to sail with that many kids.

The drink package is completely worth it if you drink alcohol and coffee. However, you should look at current menu prices and see if it would be worth it to you.

My wife and I have no kids and we used to always say...we would never go on a disney cruise with all those kids but when my sister wanted to do a family vacation and we got a great price on Disney due to agent mistake. we took the leap. Maybe after all those Celebrity cruises Celebrity was feeling stale. We sailed during Presidents day week and yes there were a lot of kids, but there were so many adult only areas that we stayed in for the week. My sister's kids were always busy with new friends/activities that her and my brother in law would join us in adult areas. I will say the buffet on Disney wasn't too good compared to Celebrity. But main dining was better on Disney. Castaway Cay is the best private island of the bunch. We've been to all of them except NCL. Shows are much better on Disney. The firework show they have on Disney is truly amazing, what a nice evening. I will say the kids on Disney were better behaved than some adults we have cruised with on Celebrity. Both are great lines and depending on what you are looking for you should know what your getting into before sailing. So don't be too judgmental like us and say we would never do this or that cruise..we learned a good lesson.

Poor maintenance?? We have been on DCL many times ( no kids......Love the adult areas! ) feel very safe on DCL We are tired of ever increasing cost! Decided to look at other lines. We have also been on NCL and RCCL. We are doing a Carnival in May on the Sunshine. Considering a 5 day on the Connie in March .

So........what about this poor maintenance? :-/

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

Celebrity is really nice. I haven't had any maintenance problems on Celebrity. On some of the older ships people complain about mold in the bathrooms. If you see mold in the bathrooms- ask your stateroom attendant to bleach them if it is going to ruin your cruise. I've sailed Celebrity 9 times so obviously it's a nice cruise line.

Thanks for all your opinions we're 90% there on the drinks package.. I've seen some very poor maintenance on x and Disney cruise line ships are very well maintained so I wait to see. Only 80 odd days to go !

I'm curious. You said earlier that you have never cruised on X, but, in spite of that, you have seen some very poor maintenance on X. An out of body experience?

I'm curious. You said earlier that you have never cruised on X, but, in spite of that, you have seen some very poor maintenance on X. An out of body experience?

Can you quote the post where he said he's never been on X? I must have missed it.

How rude! I haven't sailed with x . But before I part with my hard earned cash, I , along with others, research using the internet, and amongst the images got were many if the Celebrity Millennium showing images of poor maintenance . Hence my statement. I thought that this Forum was here to ask questions and get advice. My mistake ! I won't post again.