Silk in Lyon....

franski

Hi -

I seem to remember someone posted with suggestions about where to buy silk in Lyon... (a little off the beaten path... good prices and selection....)

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to go? Or, conversely place to avoid?

We will be there in early July.

Thanks so much.

Fran

Fran,

FotoPeg had posted some links on the Portraits of Southern France thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1964602. I'm hoping to visit some of the shops on our cruise in March. I checked her link to the silk site, and some have websites with prices. Some seem quite reasonable depending on what size you are looking for.

Becki

Edited by rjscott

Hi Becki -

Thanks for that link.

I seem to remember someone posting about a shop they found that had great scarves but they didn't buy... and either couldn't get back, or when they did it was closed ... and they wished they had bought when they first saw the store.

Hoping that person would post here. Or, perhaps someone who found another "gem" that they are willing to share.

Fran

We were in Lyon for a day and a half in October, 2012 on the Viking Portraits of Southern France cruise.

First, let me say that I had NO thoughts of buying silk scarves while we were there - and I did know that Lyon was the silk capital of France!!

The full day we were in Lyon, we had a morning tour of the city - fabulous! - and we stayed for lunch, wandering back to the ship sometime in the afternoon. When we arrived, there was a silk "show" going on with the sale of scarfs. They were very nice, but I really wasn't interested!

Then some ladies began to return with treasures they had bought - and I couldn't help but get interested!! So a few of us decided on a plan ~ we were sailing at noon the following day so figured we had enough time to walk to the silk shop - but I still wasn't buying, just going along for the walk! Soooo... we left the ship about 9:15am and arrived at the store about 30 minutes later. The owner came along at about 9:45am and immediately opened-up, inviting us all inside. His scarves were amazing and I bought 3 ~ a Van Gogh for myself! One for my daughter and a fabulous white-on-white for my future daughter-in-law.

In all it was a very special experience!! Will post link to silk store tomorrow evening - at present we're at my son's and don't have Lao top!!!

Hope Lyon can be just as special for all of you!! Check out the restaurants - its a culinary paradise!!!

I wasn't that interested when I was in Lyon either, but I was due for neck surgery when I arrived home, so thought I would just get something to cover scar when needed.

I bought two at the shop, and we had the owner of another printing/weaving company come on board for a lecture with scarves (of course) and I bought three more. I have a photo of the shop and logo, but I can't remember the address either (not being interested!), so I'll watch out for the url.

I learned I should have not bought the largest size as it was too bulky for me, and I should have bought more of the thin longer ones. I'll be back there this year, so watch out Visa card :)

OK Ladies - this is what I can find about the Silk Shp in Lyon ~

Soierie Saint Georges - Vieux-Lyon - Lyon - review on Yelk

11 rue Mourguet, 69005 Lyon - Google Maps - I hoipe this opens correctly!

There was a site for the shop but I couldn't get it to open, not even the translation.

If the map opens correctly, then floow from the shop across the peninsular (I know it looks like an island but isn't) on Pl. Bellecour, then across Pont de la Guillotiere then suth on the Quai or the walking path next to the Rhone River. Our ship was docked just south of the Pont de l'Universite. I was an easy walk - maybe about 30 minutes and we weren't rushing. On the way back, we even stopped to shop a little off of Pl Bellecour!

Yggdraisl98 ~ we also had someone come on board with scarfs - it was while we were at lunch in Lyon so we missed most of it. Anyone really interested in buy should check at reception if they'll be buying opportunity on board.

Have fun!!!!

Thanks Peg, that's excellent, I am absolutely positive by the photo's that this is

Soierie Saint Georges - Vieux-Lyon - Lyon - review on Yelk

indeed the shop Uniworld take you to.

I'm not big on shopping with the "on board" demo's, but it was easy in this case :) I have to try and avoid the patterns, and go for the plain colours that go with everything.....or buy a few more tops :D