Kauai - Is this doable in 1 1/2 days?

runninggalintexas

I know what I want to do. I am just not sure if a day and a half is enough time.

Day 1 - Rent a car and drive to Waimea canyon and Kalalau lookout (supposedly one of the most spectacular and breathtaking views in the world)

Drive to North Shore beaches. Hike a bit of the first part of the Kalalau Trail, just to see the view of Ke’e Beach and a little of the Na Pali coast.

Smith's Family Luau

Day 2 - Helicopter tour. Then visit Kalapaki Beach near the ship before boarding. Ship leaves at 2pm.

I am thinking Day 1 may not be feasible with all the driving. If not, what should I cut? I am especially interested in scenic lookouts and spectacular views. Any advice is appreciated.

What time does the luau start? If you need to be back for it by 5:00 or so, then it will be difficult to fit it all in. Since you say that the lookout and views are most important to you, start as early in the morning as you can and go there first. If you're finished and heading back down the canyon by no later than 1:00-2:00, then I'd try heading to the North shore. Depending on traffic, you may not have time to hike, but there's still lots to see along the way - just take in as much as possible. Personally, I'd skip the luau unless you've never been to one and there's no opportunity to go on one of the other islands.

If it's too late to head north when you get back down from the canyon, stick to the South shore. The Poipu Beach area has some pretty spots and some nice places for lunch.

Your second day depends on what time the helicopter tour is, but you should be fine. Enjoy!

Agree with the other poster; Kauai is a small island, and you can do Waimea Canyon and the North Shore in one day--it will be a long day, but it's doable. I'd do a luau on another island. Smith's Luau is LONG and BORING IMO. If you have time on the first night, drive to the Hyatt and enjoy the music in a relaxing atmosphere.

I think it would be hard to enjoy doing both in one day, with not enough time to take in the highlights along the way. You'll need to factor in at least 6 hours of driving time - possibly longer as traffic often moves more slowly than the speed limit and you've got one lane bridges to contend with on the north shore. Driving requires more concentration on the Waimea Canyon road and again on the north shore - if there are two drivers, it will be a lot easier.

I would choose one or the other (my choice would be Waimea Canyon and Poipu) and I like the suggestion to skip the luau and enjoy drinks at a more relaxing place. After all that driving, it might be hard to sit through the length of a luau.

I'm not sure which cruise you are on, but if it's POA, they do a sail past of the Napali Coast, and if you're doing a heli tour, you'll see it there as well. You'll see Waimea Canyon as well from the helicopter, but we thought it was great to also see if from the overlooks along the drive up.

We've also spent time on the north shore (on a land trip) and did the first two miles of the Kalalau hike, and you do get a glimpse of the Napali coast from it (actually, you can get a view of it from the north end of Ke'e Beach if you don't have time to do part of the hike.)

Enjoy your trip!

p.s. if you decide to skip the luau and do both south and north sides, be aware of the sunset time (it's

Edited by Susan-M

Not sure what happened to the rest of my p.s. in my post above, but wanted to say that sunset is early in Hawaii - between approximately 6 to 7:30 p.m. depending on when you are there, so I would leave Ke'e Beach about 45 minutes to an hour before sunset, if you end up doing both north and south, and skip the luau.

I would say you need to chose between North or South shore for your drive. The island is small but getting Waimea to Ke'e will leave you too short a time at either destination for much.

The canyon in one good day with a hike is well worth to consider as the main tour.

If you really big on hiking then the hike on the trail is worth it, but the views from Waimea IMHO are far superior than on the Kalalau unless you do the whole hike tothe beach.

That being said, we do both ends on two full days each time we've been there. The helicopter is nice, done that to, in hindsight I'd likely pass on the helicopter unless you have never done one. But it is true if you do a helicopter in Hawaii this is the island to do it at!

I know what I want to do. I am just not sure if a day and a half is enough time.

Day 1 - Rent a car and drive to Waimea canyon and Kalalau lookout (supposedly one of the most spectacular and breathtaking views in the world)

Drive to North Shore beaches. Hike a bit of the first part of the Kalalau Trail, just to see the view of Ke’e Beach and a little of the Na Pali coast.

Smith's Family Luau

Day 2 - Helicopter tour. Then visit Kalapaki Beach near the ship before boarding. Ship leaves at 2pm.

I am thinking Day 1 may not be feasible with all the driving. If not, what should I cut? I am especially interested in scenic lookouts and spectacular views. Any advice is appreciated.

Skipping the luau would make this more doable. Having been to the luau, I will say I was not impressed and was very disappointed. I would prefer a relaxing evening at the Marriott at Kalapaki Beach.

Traffic can be very unpredictable and sometimes requires considerable patience.

The canyon and the trail are actually very close in actual miles but very far driving as you can't cross the north side of the Island. (I had wanted to do both too!!) We picked the trail as it seemed like more of an "all day" event. You will pass beautiful look outs and great beaches on the drive. We actually hiked the trail all the way to the waterfall (4 miles out/4 back). It was absolutely amazing! The views are awesome just a few meters in though so you don't have to do the whole thing. If you can hike the whole way it will be the best hike of your life (you can swim under the waterfall). I know people say POA does a sail by but the views don't even compare to actually being there.

The drive to the trail was not the easiest (you have to cross one way bridges) and lots of curves. I would absolutely NOT in a million years do it in the dark. This is not a drive were you will go faster than google maps says. I would suggest putting all of the directions into google maps and finding out how much driving it really is. I would then add an hour for your car rental and some cushion into each drive.

Edited by beeandkmon