Gdansk help

Hi

We have this as one of our upcoming ports but Im struggling to find information on it.

From what I can see Princess aren't offering much from the ship excursion wise, the port doesn't look like it has much - more of a working port and it looks a long way from the old town.

So from that Im at a non starting point so would appreciate anything anyone can tell me. I hear the old town is lovely so maybe I need to go there (if so how) or do you know different? :-)

Thank you in advance :)

I believe you can go by train, but are you sure that Princess isn't offering a tour to Gdansk? (The port is actually at Gdynia, which is some miles away). They certainly used to do a trip with a short walking tour of the town (which is indeed lovely) before leaving you on your own, and then on the way back they had a photo stop at the Solidarity monument. I'd be very surprised if they're not still offering this or something similar.

I believe you can go by train, but are you sure that Princess isn't offering a tour to Gdansk? (The port is actually at Gdynia, which is some miles away). They certainly used to do a trip with a short walking tour of the town (which is indeed lovely) before leaving you on your own, and then on the way back they had a photo stop at the Solidarity monument. I'd be very surprised if they're not still offering this or something similar.

me too - Ive not sailed Princess before but on my excursion list it doesn't show anything for here despite it showing the other ports (maybe they've not loaded it yet). Good to know there would/should be options I will keep my eyes peeled.

As a rule we like doing things on our own so liking your train idea :-)

thank you

We stopped in Gdynia last September, but we weren't in port for a long time. I did find some info and you can take a bus, then the tram to the centre of Gdansk. It is about 25km from the port to Gdansk.

Therefore, we ended up taking the ship's excursion, which we don' t normally do. The old town of Gdansk is really lovely and there is a lot of history attached. I'm sure your ship will do a tour, just contact them and ask.

There really is not much in Gdynia itself. It is a bit of an ugly town with a few shops, so I would definitely go into Gdansk.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a ship's excursion in Gdansk, though we rarely do that. As others said, the distance is a bit far so it was easiest.

Our ship offered Stutthof Camp and Gdansk together.

Stutthof is not an experience for everyone, but one wanted to do while we were there.

Gdansk was an adorable town. Fun to just wander around, eat, drink and shop. They allowed anyone who wanted to break off from the tour and just meet back at the bus, and many of us took advantage of that rather than follow along a formal tour.