Just returned from Fantasy (Jan 5-10)

gritsnc

The first question I must ask...does the boat ALWAYS rock that hard? OMG. I am STILL rocking when sitting or standing still. I thought I was going to be sick yesterday at work because of how swimmy headed and rocky I was. The waters were pretty rough and winds were 50mph a lot of times. Is the ocean more rough in the winter? I ask because even a lot of the staff members were commenting about it and saying they weren't expecting the seas to be that rough. There were SO many sick people because of it. Even the girl ringing up my pictures said she felt like she was going to be sick. I didn't take my Bonine the morning that we were supposed to dock into Freeport and forgot to take it when they announced that we wouldn't be docking there. By that evening, I was so sick that I honestly wondered if I was coming down with that stomach virus. I quickly popped 2 Bonine's and was feeling much better about 3 hours later.

After the 2nd day, the upper and outer decks were closed off the majority of the time for safety reasons (extreme wind), so that kind of stunk.

We didn't get to dock in Freeport because of the weather and I wasn't impressed with Nassau. In fact, the straw market left me so stressed out with people grabbing me by the arm to look at their items and one lady even putting a necklace around my neck saying it as free, yet then she yanked it off me when I refused to give her a donation for the handicap children. Sorry, but how do I know it's going to the handicap children? Plus, it was an ugly necklace. I never want to go back to Nassau. Lesson learned there. I'm sure it would have been much nicer if we had taken an excursion or gone to another resort, but the weather just wasn't nice enough to pay for that.

Now for the ship. LOVED the ship and the staff. In fact, I can't say enough good things about the staff members. We really did have a great time on the ship. The food was amazing at times and other times just so-so, but I still loved the ship.

I think I would have a lot more to rave about if the weather had been nicer, but that's not Carnival's fault. I would give the ship a high rating because we experienced no problems (unless the rocking was from the ship and not the waves/weather). Attached are some pics...

DSCN6912.jpg.e070ded5079758dfb9f66770bf7b009d.jpg

DSCN6928.jpg.c41eb467fad86ec3736ccf21ec29a709.jpg

DSCN6939.jpg.438a39a62f72710e6451f483e5aff1e7.jpg

DSCN6935.jpg.a41636655b93817f49aee1e4278a0efe.jpg

DSCN6950.jpg.92c96859da892df1b2222084d39359c1.jpg

My daughter was in the talent show on board. She did some of her tumbling, but couldn't do her best because the stage wasn't long enough and she didn't have on the correct shoes (they wouldn't let her tumble bare foot). She said that she could feel the boat rocking even during her tumbling, but still thought it was neat that she got to be on stage. :)

DSCN7180.jpg.c49a984bac8f248114da80a2fbefe792.jpg

DSCN7181.jpg.543623db64387925df9e6fe05c72fff9.jpg

vlcsnap-2014-01-11-23h20m22s239.jpg.d50ff6cce7c39e4543e31380459b00b5.jpg

DSCN7200.jpg.0abaec19c7c625eef8e0a9a2e7ef9c5c.jpg

vlcsnap-2014-01-11-23h20m08s59.jpg.2282ca5e35b75d73af68708595781f89.jpg

vlcsnap-2014-01-11-23h22m35s21.jpg.bd5e56fc2b364cc4ebb6ed478330e6f1.jpg

vlcsnap-2014-01-11-23h24m40s3.jpg.7244034b646b82a402dac593986f4923.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! I hope the seas are calm when we go. My first cruise and I don't want to be scared off.

Just make sure you take something being as you've never cruised before. By missing just one pill that one day, I was SO sick. We experienced no side effects from the Bonine. I would just take 1 or 2 each morning and I'd feel fine. I even took it the first day back on land because I started feeling icky. Maybe I should still be taking it so I would stop rocking. lol

My DD was on this cruise with about 20 other people from her BF family. DD has been on MANY cruises, including being in the middle of tropical storms, & she has been complaining of being "seasick" since she has been home too. She said she didnt have any problems on-board, but once home, the head was swimming and feeling very dizzy. She has been on the Fantasy before with no problems. It really sucks that the weather wasnt great for yall, as that does put a damper on the cruise. Dont let the Straw Market vendors actions deter you from ever going to Nassau again. A strong "NO Thanks" works charms. ;) Also there are many other fantastic areas of Nassau that you can visit without doing expensive ship excursions. Glad you had a good time under the circumstances.

My DD was on this cruise with about 20 other people from her BF family. DD has been on MANY cruises, including being in the middle of tropical storms, & she has been complaining of being "seasick" since she has been home too. She said she didnt have any problems on-board, but once home, the head was swimming and feeling very dizzy. She has been on the Fantasy before with no problems. It really sucks that the weather wasnt great for yall, as that does put a damper on the cruise. Dont let the Straw Market vendors actions deter you from ever going to Nassau again. A strong "NO Thanks" works charms. ;) Also there are many other fantastic areas of Nassau that you can visit without doing expensive ship excursions. Glad you had a good time under the circumstances.

I'm glad to know it's not just me still feeling seasick. I've got video of how bad we were rocking at times.

I'm sure I would have liked Nassau better if the weather had been nicer. We really missed out on a lot. I was hoping to have lots of pictures of me in my bathing suit soaking up the rays so I could rub it in to my friends that I was warm while they were freezing here in NC last week. I just looked at the weather and it's supposed to be in the 80's for the next few days in Nassau. :mad: Like I said though, it's not Carnival's fault.

Is your daughter in her 20's? There was a large group of people we saw frequently that looked to be in their 20's. They were going to be in the talent show, but everyone in the act had to be at the meeting and they didn't have everyone there at the time, so they got turned away. Just wondering if it was maybe her group.

I'm glad to know it's not just me still feeling seasick. I've got video of how bad we were rocking at times.

I'm sure I would have liked Nassau better if the weather had been nicer. We really missed out on a lot. I was hoping to have lots of pictures of me in my bathing suit soaking up the rays so I could rub it in to my friends that I was warm while they were freezing here in NC last week. I just looked at the weather and it's supposed to be in the 80's for the next few days in Nassau. :mad: Like I said though, it's not Carnival's fault.

Is your daughter in her 20's? There was a large group of people we saw frequently that looked to be in their 20's. They were going to be in the talent show, but everyone in the act had to be at the meeting and they didn't have everyone there at the time, so they got turned away. Just wondering if it was maybe her group.

She is 23, but they were with her BFs Family. They were celebrating his Grandmother's 80th birthday. DD was very disappointed, as she NEVER even put her bathing suit on. :eek:

we sailed the week before you and must have lucked out. not much rocking on the ship. but it was a bit windy the day we were at Freeport.

Did you do any trivia with TJ? we had a great time with him. I really should get around to writing a review. one of these days...

With all these storms we have had across the states the last couple weeks the waters have been rockier than normal. I get on the Fantasy on Wed and hoping for good weather. I have cruised in Nov, Dec, and Feb with no issues just hoping no storms make it crazy out there.

Also when I come home I continue to take my meclazine (generic Bonine) for a couple days until I am sure I have my land legs back. It has always helped.

Thanks for the review and pictures. Our group will be on her in May. It's my families 2nd cruise, but our friends' 1st, so we're pretty excited to be sharing the experience with them. I noticed you went to the Fish Fry though and was wondering if you ate there and where? How were the prices? We are looking at making it a stop on our trip to Nassau. Thanks!

Edited by cruise_gal21

What did you think of Junkanoo beach ???? We only have a few hours here so that is what we are going to do as well ... any info you want to give would be very helpful!!!

I did NOT like Junkanoo Beach although I will say that if you walk down Junkanoo a little further it's a little nicer. Maybe it's just because the weather had not been nice and a lot of stuff got washed up on shore, but there was tons of broken glass over by where we were. We were sitting over in the area right beside the wall at Fat Tuesday's.

we sailed the week before you and must have lucked out. not much rocking on the ship. but it was a bit windy the day we were at Freeport.

Did you do any trivia with TJ? we had a great time with him. I really should get around to writing a review. one of these days...

We didn't do trivia with DJ, but we did lots of dance classes and also loved the Hasbro Game show.

Thanks for the review and pictures. Our group will be on her in May. It's my families 2nd cruise, but our friends' 1st, so we're pretty excited to be sharing the experience with them. I noticed you went to the Fish Fry though and was wondering if you ate there and where? How were the prices? We are looking at making it a stop on our trip to Nassau. Thanks!

We didn't have time to sit down and eat at the Fish Fry.

My wife and I were on this cruise as well. It was the worst cruise we have taken yet. The port was terrible as well. If this was your first cruise, try cruising out of Canaveral, Tampa, Miami or Ft. Lauderdale and see the difference. The weather made the ship so rocky, it was terrible the whole cruise. I really felt bad for first time cruisers because I figured they would think cruise ships were always that rocky, they're not! It was still a week away from work!