Just returned from Fantasy (Jan 5-10)

gritsnc

I have much more problems with "motion" after I return from a cruise than I do while on the ship.

Fantasy in early September had perfectly smooth seas the entire time. That's never happened to me on any sailing (and I've done a few).

Risa and I were laughing about it because she said she'd had people coming up to her asking if there wasn't anything that could be done about the ship's motion. She said she just told them that it was as calm as she'd ever seen it!

Time for my usual speech: Ginger Root Capsules!!! Start a day or two prior to cruising, 1 am and 1 pm; I also take 1/2 Bonine when I board.

They've cured me. I even take them for a day or two post-cruise to help with mal debarquement.

crazyfrazee - what do you mean "the port was terrible as well"? You don't mean Charleston, do you? I absolutely LOVE it there! And since I can drive, I continue to sail on Fantasy (she has a wonderful staff and crew, too). And if you're just referring to the small, old terminal building itself, that's been discussed many, many times on these boards, in review threads, and on the East Coast Departures board.

It is what it is. If you do your homework prior to sailing and you're prepared for it and realize why they have to do things they way they do, it's really quite simple. I think they do a great job given the extreme limitations at the pier. The "silent disembark" system works better than any blaring announcements.

I can't wait to sail Fantasy yet again!

I have much more problems with "motion" after I return from a cruise than I do while on the ship.

Fantasy in early September had perfectly smooth seas the entire time. That's never happened to me on any sailing (and I've done a few).

Risa and I were laughing about it because she said she'd had people coming up to her asking if there wasn't anything that could be done about the ship's motion. She said she just told them that it was as calm as she'd ever seen it!

Time for my usual speech: Ginger Root Capsules!!! Start a day or two prior to cruising, 1 am and 1 pm; I also take 1/2 Bonine when I board.

They've cured me. I even take them for a day or two post-cruise to help with mal debarquement.

crazyfrazee - what do you mean "the port was terrible as well"? You don't mean Charleston, do you? I absolutely LOVE it there! And since I can drive, I continue to sail on Fantasy (she has a wonderful staff and crew, too). And if you're just referring to the small, old terminal building itself, that's been discussed many, many times on these boards, in review threads, and on the East Coast Departures board.

It is what it is. If you do your homework prior to sailing and you're prepared for it and realize why they have to do things they way they do, it's really quite simple. I think they do a great job given the extreme limitations at the pier. The "silent disembark" system works better than any blaring announcements.

Could you please explain "silent disembark"? I have seen this phrase used several times, however, I have yet to understand it's true meaning or how it works. Thanks!

Nassau has some INCREDIBLE things to do and see! But they are not within walking distance of the port, which can be high pressure. (Kinda like there isn't much good to see immediately next to an airport in a city... most of us wouldn't walk outside the terminal and think 'Woohoo! Here we go city! Because the airport is usually eh....)

We took a catamaran snorkel morning tour for $56. It was an incredible morning (CCL Dream has us leaving port at 2, so we could only book a few hours excursion.) It was WONDERFUL! Great service, VERY secure (none of that harrassing) and lots of big fish.

5 weeks later, we happened to be back in Nassau on the DCL Dream! We booked the Sea Lion encounter to Blue Lagoon, and we loved BL so much, we stayed until the last ferry at 4pm and still had time to shop (I knew what to expect for heckling and worked it to my advantage) and we loved that island, we are going back again in May! We picked our next cruise JUST TO GO BACK to Nassau!

Lot of great things to do, but you can't be free/cheap here. If you don't have a plan, stay on board. If you want to see some pretty bahamian fish, than book something. You don't travel that far just to see concrete, do you? I don't!

Also, when you cruise in January, it is WINTER. Unfortunately, if there is a stormy system, you are going to get horrible seas. I personally don't cruise in winter. Late Feb/Early Mar is the earliest I cruise, up to May. I don't cruise from June-Nov (MAJOR hurricane and tropical systems season, and its NOT worth it to me and it tends to cost more in the summer) so basically I love my spring cruises. Not that they aren't guaranteed to rock, but in your case, it is winter time...and being that close to the Atlantic will make it worse than say, a Mexican Riveria or Western Carib itinerary.

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

I liked the disembarkment process. It was so simple! We did the self disembarkment and were out in no time at all. I LOVED Charleston. The parking lot looked crazy with all the cones and it was weird parking in a warehouse, but I could care less. I'm not spending a week in the port.

Risa was great! We really loved ALL of the staff members.

Could you please explain "silent disembark"? I have seen this phrase used several times, however, I have yet to understand it's true meaning or how it works. Thanks!

It's just like the "normal" disembark except they don't make the announcements. They display whatever group is allowed to disembark on the TVs around the ship. It's very civilized! :D

It's just like the "normal" disembark except they don't make the announcements. They display whatever group is allowed to disembark on the TVs around the ship. It's very civilized! :D

Sounds easy and nicer than the disembark I experienced last cruise. Pretty much every Zone was called at once after self assist lol. Felt like a free for all :p

Sent from my LG-L38C using Forums mobile app

Edited by cruise_gal21

• 4 months later...
My daughter was in the talent show on board. She did some of her tumbling, but couldn't do her best because the stage wasn't long enough and she didn't have on the correct shoes (they wouldn't let her tumble bare foot). She said that she could feel the boat rocking even during her tumbling, but still thought it was neat that she got to be on stage. :)

Hi GritsNC!

Do you remember which night the talent show was on? Thank you so much!!! :p