Kauai ship excursions - offered more than once during day?

CapnCat

Do passengers have an opportunity to choose what time they'd like to take a ship brochure shore excursion? Or are excursions only given once a day?

I'd like to try a helicopter tour in Kauai (early in am - just after boat docks) and then try for a 4 hour tour (Wailua River Cruise & Fern Grotto - approx. 3-4 hours in length).

Has anyone ever tried this? Or would it be better to just take the ship offered Heli tour and privately book an excursion to Wailua River and the Fern Grotto?

Any info you can provide would be very helpful! Thanks a bunch.

It depends on how long you are there. For something like this, I would book the helo tour privately, first thing then take ship's tour in afternoon. Have not seen times for excursions yet for my trip so can't tell what is best.

I know there are several Helicopter tours offered - Safari seems to have a terrific on-line offer that seems to good to pass up...just hope they are still offering it when my sister sails.

You made a good point: to take the private heli tour in the AM and book the ship excursion afterwards (provided they offer the tour more than once during the day. I'm still foggy on this point). Taking the ship excursion would ensure that the boat would wait for the passengers before sailing to the next port.

The time at Kauai is 8 AM - 5 PM == of course its not set in stone. Things do happen -- but I'm hoping my sister will be able to see as much as possible while visiting Kauai. Now...the only question is -- will she decide to "take the plunge" and do the heli tour. I hear they are fabulous - and if the scenery is anything like the helicopter shots at the beginning of "Jurassic Park" -- well, it should be breathtaking!

I don't like to do the shore excursions from the ship. They take all day since there are alot of people trying to get together and they are more expensive. I am renting a car at every port. I found a great web sight with lots of information. Go to Hawaii Driving Guides and order a magazine for all the ports you will be at. In the magazine you will find lots of coupons and discounts. Also great maps. You really can't get lost since there are so few roads in Hawaii. It has coupons for the helicopter rides.

I know what you mean about guided tours - you are herded here and there and sometimes it can be trying.

However, I don't know whether my sister and her husband would want to rent a car. The ship excursions are very pricey, that's for sure.

I'm going to do a Google search on Hawaii Driving Guides and see what crops up. Thanks again!

When sailed Hawaii in March. I remember asking another couple what their favorite excursion was. They said they loved the helicopter best of all because they saw things you couldn't see any other way. They booked helicopter tours on two or three of the islands (privately) and saved alot of money booking it themselves. Wish I didn't have a fear of flying or I would have tried it too.

We've been there a couple of times. Heli tours can be fun, but they are short, expensive and subject to weathre. Parts of Kauai get the most rainfall anywhere on earth.

You can check the Hawaii boards and get info on the tours. Rent your own car, do the helis if you wish, the Fern Grotto and Wailea R are interesting to canoe, kayak or do the motor trip. We drove up to the Kalalau Lookout and saw Waimea canyon, both spectactular on a clear day. You can drive around the Island to Princeville, and a great view. Others like to kayak or sail along the Kalalau coast, the spectactular cliffs you see in photos. Really too much to do in one day, just pick a few things and have fun.

Aloha

Al

Archived